• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda Switch re-use the coloured enemy tiers of Botw?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So over the course of BotW a player doesn't become more skilled in say aiming their bow, or dodging attacks, or shield bashing?
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this seems like an absurd notion

Unless BOTW is the first game you've ever played in your life, I don't see why you would. All of this is insanely easy to do, particularly aiming due to the slow-motion and the enemies poor line of sight.

It's kind of insulting, actually, to be so heavily rewarded for something as simple as dodging. In previous games you had to dodge, block and pick openings on your own. In BOTW, the game forces an opening the second you dodge without actually letting you earn it. Its patronizing. Like rewarding someone with a crunchy cookie for successfully going to the bathroom.

Reactions: Dio
Once you get used to the controls that's pretty much it. Shooting a bow isn't hard nor is attacking or dodging. Enemies do not get progressively faster and it is more about what weapon you have than your skill at fighting. There are very few types of enemy so you quickly learn what to do.
What game were you playing? What you describe is literally nothing like what my experience with the game was. First playthrough, I was wandering the Great Plateau Doing My Best. Second runthrough, I was Link The Silent Pantsless Wonder, sneak-killing half the monsters, Disarming and Flurry Rushing those that didn't get stabbed to death with secret stabs, and taking out Stone Talus with no-scope snipes and spin attacks with a hammer and taking zero damage. That's all learned skill. That has literally nothing to do with numbers. In fact, that's literally the opposite of what you're describing. What you're talking about sounds more like grinding until you're grossly over-leveled in some JRPG.

DarkestLink

What game were you playing? What you describe is literally nothing like what my experience with the game was. First playthrough, I was wandering the Great Plateau Doing My Best. Second runthrough, I was Link The Silent Pantsless Wonder, sneak-killing half the monsters, Disarming and Flurry Rushing those that didn't get stabbed to death with secret stabs, and taking out Stone Talus with no-scope snipes and spin attacks with a hammer and taking zero damage. That's all learned skill.

And you should know it all very early game, probably by the time you leave the Plateau. Sure, the game does a bad job of teaching you these mechanics, but once you know they're there, they're easy to immediately pick up.

And you should know it all very early game, probably by the time you leave the Plateau. Sure, the game does a bad job of teaching you these mechanics, but once you know they're there, they're easy to immediately pick up.
No, it does a pretty good job of showing you the base mechanics. And as a player you can take time to practice them (which I did). But there's also just a lot of things you don't know about the world and the mechanics yet that you learn over time. There's a difference between picking them up and mastering them. Or are you trying to say that from the moment you left the Plateau you were already a perfect master of all combat skills and never got better as a player in the slightest throughout the rest of the entire game?

DarkestLink

No, it does a pretty good job of showing you the base mechanics. And as a player you can take time to practice them (which I did). But there's also just a lot of things you don't know about the world and the mechanics yet that you learn over time. There's a difference between picking them up and mastering them. Or are you trying to say that from the moment you left the Plateau you were already a perfect master of all combat skills and never got better as a player in the slightest throughout the rest of the entire game?

Well...I guess, yeah? Because they're incredibly basic. This is the beginning basic stuff you learn when you're first starting to game. It's so basic that, despite the game never teaching me about a lot of it, I learned it by accident. Take flurry rush for example.

Back in OoT, when I was 6 years old, I had to dodge enemies, block their attacks, and look for openings all on my own. Take for example a stalfos, very basic enemy you meet early on. It defends itself and you need to find openings to attack. Blocking will help you study its behavior, but won't give you much of an opportunity to attack. You can trade with a stalfos, but this is a bad idea in the long run. What you need to do is figure out at what point is a stalfos vulnerable in each of its attacks, you must then figure out what attack it's going to use, you must then use the appropriate attack to damage it without trading. You can also try to use techniques to lure it into certain attacks and you will become more aware of these as you progress through the game.

In BOTW you dodge....and that's it. The game then forces an opening for you and allows you to wail on a defenseless enemy. Again, I kinda find this to be patronizing. Every time it happens, it feels like there's a very excited preschool teacher clapping loudly in my ears saying "YES! YES! GOOD JOB YOU DID IT! 2 + 2 = 4! YAY!". This is always easy, and the only thing that changes over time is when you realize how broken the system is and that you don't actually need to be in danger of getting hit to pull it off.

BOTW's parrying is about as broken and stupidly OP as every other parry system I've ever seen. All you need is simple timing. Again, a very basic skill you learn very early on. You might be a little thrown off at first by how much warning the enemies give you before attacking, but once you realize how generous it is, it's easy to pull off. There's no reason something this simple should be so rewarding.

Aside from parrying guardians, there's no reason to learn this stuff either. The most successful method in getting anything done in BOTW is weapon spam. In addition, it's almost always the fastest way of getting anything done too. Flurrying is much better than parrying and you'll end up doing it just by dodging attacks, which you would do anyway.

And to clarify my point on OoT, I'm not saying that it's combat is complex or challenging. It's not. It's a nice system, but it's a simple one they developed 20 years ago when they were still building the basics of a combat system...BOTW just managed to make it even simpler. Not only by removing any need to find openings on your own, but also reducing the amount of different attacks you could make and removing damage multipliers from others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom