• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Should the New Game Have a Helper Guide?

Should Zelda Wii U have a helper/guide character?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
They would be incredibly annoying like Navi or Phi, plus they might ruin some of the discovery that the creators are trying to achieve. What do you think?

Neither of them are annoying. Especially Fi, she's one of the best and most helpful partners in the series. And how exactly does having a partner ruin discovery? I don't understand.

I would love a partner in Zelda U. I love having traveling companions and for the most part, Link can't get anywhere without help from his partner. That's how it's been in most of the games. I hate it when heroes are built up to do everything by themselves. Partners typically serve very important roles, and I like that. I am a huge fan of teamwork.

Although, I have a feeling there won't be a partner in Zelda U. Aonuma has mentioned challenging the conventions of Zelda to the point where the player questions "Wow, is this really Zelda?". While I'm very excited for that, I can't help but think we won't get a partner character because of it.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Helps people who need it, is the tiniest inconvenience for those who don't need it. So yes, I think it should have one; but the character being more than just 'a helper' is always nice.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I say yes, but the catch is that they be more like a character than a helper. Ezlo, Midna, King of Red Lions, they did it right. Navi, Tatl, and dare I say that cursed name...... Fi (shudders) they did it wrong. When all they do is help you tell you where to go what to do and crap like that, I think it's annoying and pointless. But if there like a secondary protagonist next to Link, such as Ezlo or Midna especially, I absolutely love it, and think it adds so much to the game. Twilight Princess was so good due much to the complexity of Midna's character

Originally Posted by Salem

My issue with these "helper" characters is that Nintendo might get tempted to make them automatically interrupt the game and give hints or advice, even if just occasionally, I don't remember, what wasn't WW the one with the least kind of things like that?
Tatl.

Tatl is from Majora's Mask not Wind Waker and she really didn't bother you unless you hit the c pad

The new game needs to have helper guide like king of red lines in wind waker. It was a refreshing pace of characters in wind waker because the king is a boat, so get this; the boat is a boat that you can travel in but at the same time a king that talks! ;)
We the fans know what we want, it is creative strategic helper characters like the King and Navi. Many may say that Navi isn't creative and maybe even annoying. I can understand that, I don't judge, I'm not mad, why should I be mad at anyone? I love Navi and somebody maybe doesn't. Navi was great to me because she had a sense of responsibility, right? She needed to be annoying so that the player doesn't forget to save the day.

The new game definitely should have a helper guide, not only because we of course get stuck sometimes. But come on people, if the helper is not there then we are all on this adventure alone in the dark! :)

no absolutely not! well unless there's some neat gimmick involved like MC or something

Yes, guides are necessary for new players. Games aren't just moving the stick and pushing some buttons anymore, technology has advanced to the point of complex gameplay that would frustrate a child to tears without a tutorial. Furthermore, I find it selfish of Zelda fans to say that handholding is the worst thing in existence when the whole point of it is help kids which, ironically, Navi and Fi haters behave like.

why? if they're really stuck in a certain part or are trying to figure out how to get something, they can go find themselves an faq or ask someone or even google it. navi was good for z targeting, but what was fi good for? you couldn't even really say she was hand holding. she just spouted off pointless statistics that the player would hafta be blind not to see. ezlo and midna were actual helpers because of the unique gameplay elements

Last edited:

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I think there should be one for new players, so they don't feel discouraged to play the game. The seasoned Zelda player may not have any trouble with these games, but some people aren't that good with puzzles and may get frustrated easily if they aren't given some guidance. However, if there is one, please either a) give us the option to turn off their automatic advice or b) just don't make the advice automatic at all and program it so that advice is only given when we call for it. (Preferably the 2nd option)

D

Deleted member 14134

I think there should be one for new players, so they don't feel discouraged to play the game. The seasoned Zelda player may not have any trouble with these games, but some people aren't that good with puzzles and may get frustrated easily if they aren't given some guidance. However, if there is one, please either a) give us the option to turn off their automatic advice or b) just don't make the advice automatic at all and program it so that advice is only given when we call for it. (Preferably the 2nd option)

Yes, guides are necessary for new players. Games aren't just moving the stick and pushing some buttons anymore, technology has advanced to the point of complex gameplay that would frustrate a child to tears without a tutorial. Furthermore, I find it selfish of Zelda fans to say that handholding is the worst thing in existence when the whole point of it is help kids which, ironically, Navi and Fi haters behave like.

Anyway, while a guides are necessary, they can also be optional which is what I would prefer.

Why? Zelda games are alot easier than they used to be. If I do get stuck it's usually because I missed something the first time around and the guides never point me to that key I missed or that wall I was supposed to bomb or whatever I may of overlooked. Having someone like Midna is alright where she can point you in the general direction to progress the story but I don't want/need another hand holding companion that makes you mash a every time it talks.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Considering that the game is open world and you can tackle dungeons in any order, there is no need for a helper to tell you what to dk or where to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom