• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Should the New Game Have a Helper Guide?

Should Zelda Wii U have a helper/guide character?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sn00pac

Greg
They would be incredibly annoying like Navi or Phi, plus they might ruin some of the discovery that the creators are trying to achieve. What do you think?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think link should have a companion, not so much a helper like Fi but more like Midna an actual character who you bond with throughout the game.
The gamepad itself could be turned into a guidebook, where you basically have enemy intel, character intel and information on the world which you have the option to look at if you so desire. This could be one of the many innovative features they could use the gamepad for in Zelda U.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Please no! I want to do whatever I want in this game and not be interrupted.

There are ways that they could design the help system so that the companion is minimally intrusive and dose not interrupt you to give us painfully obvious answers/hints to things that you could easily figure out with a little prodding (or even a lot of prodding). What they need to do is allow the player to control when they get info assistance, but I do not mind the very occasional automatic comment from a companion character especially if it is interesting and entertaining.

I don't mind. I like it when Link has a companion during his lonesome endeavors, especially when they're a vital character to the plot. I just wish that Nintendo will make them help the player out only when he/she is truly stuck for a really long time rather then holding the player's hands and constantly reminding them to go on with their mission or giving them tips against a boss or enemy right off the bat.

Salem

SICK
NO

Also, I don't care about enemy scans that Navi and Fi give, I'd rather just figure out how to kill enemies myself.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
NO

Also, I don't care about enemy scans that Navi and Fi give, I'd rather just figure out how to kill enemies myself.

To me enemy scans were never about figuring out how to fight my foes (although they are useful that way) but rather about learning about the names and nature of such enemies (how they live out their lives).

But these scans go beyond just bad guys, in sky ward sword you could get info about all the characters by using Fi to scan for you. Other things could be scanned to like statues/artifacts and other objects in your environment, this could go a great way into expanding on the lore of the series.

Also I must add that the scan visor was one of my favorite parts of Metroid Prime. I think this also brings up the point that we do not need a companion to scan things for us, like what if we got an item like the lens of truth for something like this or a book where we "look up" things of interest.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NO

Enemy scans have always been about world-building to me, not learning how to defeat enemies -- it makes them more than just a target to kill, and that's awesome. I mean, come on, you can't tell me that Fi's comments on Bokoblins' fancy undergarments didn't make you at least chuckle and recognize them as more than just some stupid enemy, but part of an actual race.

Salem

SICK
To me enemy scans were never about figuring out how to fight my foes (although they are useful that way) but rather about learning about the names and nature of such enemies (how they live out their lives).

But these scans go beyond just bad guys, in sky ward sword you could get info about all the characters by using Fi to scan for you. Other things could be scanned to like statues/artifacts and other objects in your environment, this could go a great way into expanding on the lore of the series.
Even though, you still don't need a helper character that follows you around for that purpose

Enemy scans have always been about world-building to me, not learning how to defeat enemies -- it makes them more than just a target to kill, and that's awesome. I mean, come on, you can't tell me that Fi's comments on Bokoblins' fancy undergarments didn't make you at least chuckle and recognize them as more than just some stupid enemy, but part of an actual race.
Is there always gonna be a funny comment for every enemy?
Like I said before, there are other ways to get enemy info in the game, a character that "scans" enemies for you not "needed"

My issue with these "helper" characters is that Nintendo might get tempted to make them automatically interrupt the game and give hints or advice, even if just occasionally, I don't remember, what wasn't WW the one with the least kind of things like that?

In ALBW, we weren't given a partner, so this means throughout the game there wasn't anytime for a partner to suddenly speak and stop the game.

So, what I'm trying to say is if Zelda Wii U did NOT give Link a partner, I'll be more hopeful that these kind of interruptions won't happen.

Also I must add that the scan visor was one of my favorite parts of Metroid Prime. I think this also brings up the point that we do not need a companion to scan things for us, like what if we got an item like the lens of truth for something like this or a book where we "look up" things of interest.
Sorry, that's actually the most tedious thing about Metriod Prime to me.

D

Deleted member 14134

God I hope not, the games are already easy enough and Fi may have been the most annoying character in a video game ever. Something like Midna would be not bad but I don't want another robot telling me that there's a 95% chance that the sky is blue.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Is there always gonna be a funny comment for every enemy?

Does it matter?

Like I said before, there are other ways to get enemy info in the game, a character that "scans" enemies for you not "needed"

Please, do tell me of ways that are more efficient than getting info right then and there.

My issue with these "helper" characters is that Nintendo might get tempted to make them automatically interrupt the game and give hints or advice, even if just occasionally, I don't remember, what wasn't WW the one with the least kind of things like that?

Tatl.

In ALBW, we weren't given a partner, so this means throughout the game there wasn't anytime for a partner to suddenly speak and stop the game.

Hilda.

God I hope not, the games are already easy enough and Fi may have been the most annoying character in a video game ever. Something like Midna would be not bad but I don't want another robot telling me that there's a 95% chance that the sky is blue.

Do you make it a goal in life to overexaggerate Fi's annoyances?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'd actually like this hypothetical "helper" to take a seat on the sidelines this time around.

Fi for me just epitomised why I don't want someone to handheld me through every situation - don't get me wrong though, other Zelda companions have done this too. Nintendo could easily make more use of the hint system via Sheikah Stones and whatnot than to give the player hints every 5 minutes, which is something I'd like to be kept to a minimum.

JuicieJ said:
I was thinking about this, but couldn't they do this in another way? Link could potentially have an item, maybe an enemy scrapbook where he collects information about each enemy/mini-boss/boss when he faces them. This way you could actually look at the analysis of each individual enemy without having to face them in battle. Just an old idea I had floating around before Skyward Sword.

Sheik

:the:
I'd actually greatly prefer Link have a helper/partner/whatever in Zelda U instead of being completely alone, but on two conditions.

1) This helper basically only shows up in story-related segments and when you actually ask him/her to.
2) I find them to be an interesting and relatable character.

If these two requirements are met, I'm all for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom