• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link Have Rivals More Often?

Sure, it isn't like Pokemon where the player character and an NPC compete by beating the same bosses, but I see the idea of a rival as something that can make the premise of a Zelda game a bit better.

Granted, I think the way it was done in Skyward Sword had potential, but went away after Groose witnessed the first Imprisoned battle.

In my opinion, a rival should do more than want to compete for Zelda's affections with Link. Maybe it's because of the anime and shows I've seen but I'd like the think that Link's rival should be one he can face in battle, someone who is probably seen in the eyes of many being the superior knight. Someone he's pretty much in the shadow of. Or it could be more like Groose but more active or have his own reasons, possibly less heroic than Link's, for searching for whatever MacGuffins the dungeons have.

Do you think Link should have a rival a bit more often? If so, what kind of rival? How far would their rivalry go?

Yes,Link should have a rival,someone like Gary or Metal Sonic or Ridley with rival battles,but not as a dungeon boss,something like the King Bulblin from Twight Princess,that would be great.

Hmm a rival would be pretty good, but I can't see Link having a rival other than the major boss of the game

if it makes the game more interesting, why not? we would always know that link would always win though! :]

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
If it was like Ghirahim, where it's mostly sword battles, that would be cool. But having someone have a chance at Zelda could affect the incentive to beat the game if he makes Link look lame.

Fig

The Altruist
It would be awesome if a rival of Link acts similar to Dark Pit from Kid Icarus: Uprising. I loved the way how Dark Pit was thinking that he was the original!

This depends on what do you define as a rival. You mean a mail character that rivals Link like Groose or an archnemesis? Link technically has had rivals before. Mido was his rival in Ocarina and Groose is his rival in Skyward. I find their interaction kind of sweet and how their relationship evolves through the game. So it would be interesting to have more relevant heroic rivals to Link. Rivals that are not trying to kill him but try to compete with him a little bit to much.

And as for an archnemesis, well Ganondorf has been some sort like and archnemesis throughout the series. But it would be interesting to see another one that is not the main antagonist. An enemy with a personal motivation to rival link in an antagonistic way. Kind of interesting if you think about it. And considering more Zelda games are coming, and their storylines are more developed, we could see this happening soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom