• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link Die?

W

Wareya

It would be awesome to have a non-Link major character in the 'official' series. :D Like, Link dies, then you pretty much control his cousin or something until you find a way to have the triforce of courage resurect Link. Then you get to control either character, or maybe just Link. That would be one the easiest, most Zelda-like way to kill off Link for part of the game.

S

SilvaLink

I think Link shouldn't die, but if he did they should make him come back is the next one, but more stronger!

Chidori

Mongrel
I'm going to be flamed and hated for posting this but here are my honest thoughts.

I'd be EXILERATED and OVERLY HAPPY if Link died. The only reason he became iconic was due to the fact that his first game was the real adventure and was amazing to play through for it's time but the thing everyone failed to realize was the fact that the character "Link" is a total ripoff Peter Pan and Robin Hood. Just look at him, he wears green, fights using a sword, has a bow and arrow, his hat is almost identical and the list goes on. Not to mention the clichè Zelda storyline with Link being a hero having to rescue a Princess from an Evil Monster, seriously, there are stacks of movies and books that already have that. The first Zelda game having that sort of story was ok but how many damn games can you do it again?.

Good god. You know what would be much better than Link fighting an Evil Monster to rescue a Princess? It would be playing as Biggoron and going on a quest to eat every single damn fanboy out there who worships/cosplays Link. I doubt it would happen due to the fact that Nintendo keep on making good games out of clichè storylines and Peter Pan characters that it has become very "iconic", but holy hell it'd make my day reading about it happening.

Last edited:
H

Hizashi

I think it would be interesting for there to be a game where Link does not play the protagonist for once. Nintendo have varied the antagonist several times throughout the series, Skull-Kid and Vaati for example. I don't like the idea that throughout the centuries that Hyrule exists, in whatever form it takes, that an incarnation of Link is alive at the right time, just as evil spurs up.

The closest we've ever got to some variation would most probably be Majora's Mask because at least Link changed forms that had unique skills and abilities. Twilight Princess would come second, but they only had Hylian to Wolf.

So, killing off Link? Hmm, no. But having him not appear at the right generation, perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
I'm going to be flamed and hated for posting this but here are my honest thoughts.

I'd be EXILERATED and OVERLY HAPPY if Link died. The only reason he became iconic was due to the fact that his first game was the real adventure and was amazing to play through for it's time but the thing everyone failed to realize was the fact that the character "Link" is a total ripoff Peter Pan and Robin Hood. Just look at him, he wears green, fights using a sword, has a bow and arrow, his hat is almost identical and the list goes on. Not to mention the clichè Zelda storyline with Link being a hero having to rescure a Princess from an Evil Monster, seriously, there are stacks of movies and books that already have that. The first Zelda game having that sort of story was ok but how many damn games can you do it again?.

Good god. You know what would be much better than Link fighting an Evil Monster to rescue a Princess? It would be playing as Biggoron and going on a quest to eat every single damn fanboy out there who worships/cosplays Link. I doubt it would happen due to the fact that Nintendo keep on making good games out of clichè storylines and Peter Pan characters that it has become very "iconic", but holy hell it'd make my day reading about it happening.

I admit, you got cojones coming onto a Zelda board and saying that.

Kybyrian

I'd be EXILERATED and OVERLY HAPPY if Link died. The only reason he became iconic was due to the fact that his first game was the real adventure and was amazing to play through for it's time but the thing everyone failed to realize was the fact that the character "Link" is a total ripoff Peter Pan and Robin Hood. Just look at him, he wears green, fights using a sword, has a bow and arrow, his hat is almost identical and the list goes on. Not to mention the clichè Zelda storyline with Link being a hero having to rescue a Princess from an Evil Monster, seriously, there are stacks of movies and books that already have that. The first Zelda game having that sort of story was ok but how many damn games can you do it again?.

The thing is, the makers just care as long as they're making money off him. If they see a person a ton of fans like then they keep going after it, for the sake of earning money. What has the world come to? :(

D

Dexter

well since theres a few different links, he could die in the end of a game in a cool way. then the next game will just be a different link...

Chidori

Mongrel
I understand. I pointed that out in the third paragraph of my post. I was just giving my honest opinion on this Topic. I'd just like to see a more original character and a more original, less clichè story.

The thing is, the makers just care as long as they're making money off him. If they see a person a ton of fans like then they keep going after it, for the sake of earning money. What has the world come to? :(

The world went and became an idiot. Simple as that.

And yes, as long they're making money off of him, they don't give a ****. They truly don't. And most of the rest of the world is happy with him, so he's staying for a long time to come.

Unless we have one of the scenarios above happen.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
I understand. I pointed that out in the third paragraph of my post. I was just giving my honest opinion on this Topic. I'd just like to see a more original character and a more original, less clichè story.

Actually, considering the angst-ridden crybabies or gruff marines that pervade games today, I find Link to be a refreshing change of pace.

As for the story, well Nintendo has always put gameplay over stories. Granted, each Zelda has gotten more story heavy with each update, but they have their priorities straight. Honestly, I didn't see any crippling cliches in Twilight Princess.

Chidori

Mongrel
I just don't want to be playing as an Elf-... Well "Hylian" dressed in green baring a very strong resemblance to characters like Peter Pan. A new change of character would be nice. I want to see anything but going through temples and accomplishing anything but rescuing a Princess who doesn't even give special service as a reward. An example would be lets say... Playing as anyone but Link or at least not a character wearing green and wields a simple sword, instead of Temples you travel through Time Periods and explore each land in that period to find a different treasure or whatever in order to Seal an Evil Power rather than an Evil Monster. That is just an example of something different.

Twilight Princess had the "Farewell" cliche in it.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
Then you're probably looking for any game that doesn't have the word "Zelda" in the title, since that has been the staple of the Zelda series since the first one.

Try the Elder Scrolls.

Chidori

Mongrel
I play tons of other games. I'm just really disappointed Nintendo has been using the same damn thing for 20 years.

Well, can you really expect anything different? I mean, Mario is still Mario, Capcom still uses Megaman, Pokemon is still Pokemon, and Sega still uses Sonic. Nintendo isn't the only person that uses characters for a long time.

Last edited:
ok people time for some math class...

Link+Zelda+Ganon= GREAT ZELDA GAME!!! CHA! :clap:

so that means Great Zelda Game - Link (or zelda) = not so great game... (Majora's Mask is an exception to this law) So did you learn anything?

I think I get it... So: Link x pie = very good Zelda game. Because everyone loves Zelda, and everyone loves pie? Does that work?

NO! NO! NO! NO! you're not very good at math! Pie is only good in real life where you can eat it!!

(Duh)

No but seriously, I don't think It would be impossible to keep it Zelda if he died as long as you still played as him as the main character. ( oh and He still has to wear green!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom