• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should I Buy a Gamecube or a DS?

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Hey guys, here's Flagpole.
I'm making this thread because I want a recomendation: should I buy a Nintendo Gamecube or a Nintendo DS?
I know both are great consoles (well, the DS is a handheld), so I want your recomendation guys.

I've searched through Amazon for prices of the Gamecube and the DS, as well as the prices of their two Zelda games (Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for the Gamecube and Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks or the DS).
Of course, the Gamecube plus it's two Zelda games is more expensive than the DS with it's two Zelda games, though I could only buy the Gamecube with Wind Waker, which costs seven dollars less than Twilight Princess.

All in all, the Gamecube costs 76,39 dollars, Wind Waker (used) costs 17 dollars, and Twilight Princess (used) costs 24 dollars, and the DS (used) costs 42,99 dollars, Phantom Hourglass (new) costs 16,98 dollars and Spirit Tracks (new) costs 18 dollars.

I can spend, with the help of my parents, [aproximately] up to 88 dollars, though I could reach 117 by not asking any gifts in, for example, the 6th of January, or ask less gifts at my birthday. That is, I could get the 29 dollars that I don't have by many ways, though that would mean I would have to sacrifice 112 pesos (local currency) that I could get for other gifts, in other special occasions.

So, which should I buy?
Also, remember it won't be so easy to convince my parents of paying 112 pesos (29 dollars) more than what they would normally pay, so, in that case, I would have to buy one Zelda game for the Gamecube, which will probably be Wind Waker.

G

Generations

They are both great pieces of hardware, but I would most likely get the Gamecube because I like longer and bigger games more than handheld games.

Do you own any console right now, like a Wii. Because if you have a wii, it can play gamecube games and all you need is a Gamecube controler. If that was the case, you don't need a Gamecube. We play all of our old games all the time.

Link Master

The Hero's Master
Well I think if you want ST or PH then get them if you don't then get a gamecube they have some awesome games such as Luigi's Mansion I think that is one of the best games for gamecube.

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Most probably I'll buy the Gamecube with Wind Waker, then think of some ways to get some other great games for it, like Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros Melee, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, etc. Also I have read you can play gameboy games on the TV with it! Awesome!

As for the consoles I have, I don't have a Wii: I own a Nintendo 64, a Playstation 2 I own with my brother, and a Gameboy Advance that is actually my brother's, though I'm the one who plays with it (you can rarely see my brother playing with his Gameboy Advance, plus, I'm the one who buys the games).

Though it would cost 96,38 dollars, and I [approxiamtely] can spend 88 dollars, so I would have to get the remaining 8,38 dollars from somewhere (probably from thecelebration thatwe, the jews, have the 6th of Januray).

It is very probable my parents will accept my request, as I will pay some of it, and they don't really care if I have one more console, as they once went to New York and offered me to buy the Wii, though I didn't accept (I don't know why), and, instead, they brought me a 4X4 Rubik Cube and a Rubik 360 (yay! good times, good times).

So, if I don't ask for any gifts for the 6th of January, I might get what I desire :) .

EDIT: Meh, I've just noticed, the 76,39 dollars Gamecube was new, so I could easily buy a used one for a much cheaper price (like 33% of 76,39 dollars).
Hurray! :) .
A used black Nintendo Gamecube, the cheapest if you buy it used, only costs 19,73 dollars: close to 75% less than a used platinum one!
That way, from the [approximately] 88 dollars I could spend, I would only spend 60,73 dollars (60,73 dollars is the price for a used black Nintendo Gamecube, a used Wind Waker and a used Twilight Princess), which is a very reasonable number, even cheaper than what I would spend on the DS!

And, best of all, convincing my parents won't be too difficult: they offered to spend [approximately] 56 dollars on a book (a big one), so, 56 dollars plus the [approximately] 32 dollars I own (actually I have 83 dollars, but my parents took away [approximately] 51 dollars from me because I broke a bit of the superficial part of my bedroom, and they will fix it with what they took from me) will easily buy the Gamecube and the two Zeldas!

I'm so happy now (though I might change to spend the money on a DS).

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This is just me, but I think you should just wait. You should just buy the games only and work around the systems. Christmas isn't too far. So you could ask for a Wii, while the Gamecube games will still be playable on it. That's what I did when I wanted a Wii. I bought so many games before I actually got a Wii. (I was really positive that I was getting a Wii for Christmas) And the 3DS is not too far either and you have time to save for it, like at least 150 dollars and your parents could pay the rest. And again, DS games are playable on the 3DS. That's what I would do.

I am planning on saving for a 3DS and getting it on my birthday so that way I'm not asking for too much if I got some money for it. But due to being in debt to my brother, it's gonna take a bit longer to save.

Last edited:

Ikana

Trollkastel
It pretty much depends,If you have a Wii then its not such a good idea to get the Gamecube since the wii plays Gamecube games.But if not then you can get the Gamecube so you can play TP and the Windwaker which are both great games and other games as well.But there is a new DS coming out so I would just wait for the next DS system to come out which will be next year,so I wouldn't wast money getting a old DS that wont be able to play the newer games.But its your decision,pick what you think is most comfortable for you if you really want the Gamecube then get it,if you want a DS then get its your choice.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The poster doesn't have a wii and has decided to go for the GC. I agree with the ones who said better not to buy a DS for only two games. Indeed save money to buy a 3DS because it has a lot of features and options and you can play your DS and DSi games and even GB, GBC and GBA games on it ;)
I rather would advice you to save money to get a wii so you can play both wii and GC games on it but the choice is up to you. I can understand you are excited to play WW and TP on it but with the wii you really have like two consoles in one. Afther this get a gamecube controller and play GC games. Whatever decision you make I know you will enjoy the games. They are both wonderful imo.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
Hmmm.... Well, thing is, the Gamecube produced some great classics for it's time. Super Mario Sunshine, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Mario Kart Doubledash, LoZ: WW, Metroid Prime, and many others are great games to get for the GC. Plus, if you do ever move to the Wii, your controllers, games, amd memory cards would not go to waste; I would get the GC.

do you have a wii? because getting a gamecube if you own a wii is redundant/useless. however, in my opinion, the DS has the worst zelda games ever, so don't buy the DS if all your gonna get is zelda games. also the gamecube has a LOT of fun games other than zelda, like mario sunshine and SSBM.and the games are longer, and therefore generally better.

VergilDante100

Legendary Dark Knight
You do realize the Wii can play the gamecube games no problem so technically you should get a Wii since the Wii is a backwards compatible system and nintendo has made sure to integrate both game types into the system since they are on disc, so go out and spend that little extra since the Wii is cheap these days and all that and get that instead, but make sure to get at least one or 2 gamecube controllers.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Well I'd go with the GameCube because of WW, TP, the Zelda Collectors edition, and a Gameboy Player for the handhelds. The DS could play all the handhelds, but with the 3DS coming out soon I think it would be almost a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom