• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Shoudl Vaati Return As a Bigger Villain?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Vaati is a great villain concept. He's evil and power-hungry. He's got a crush on Zelda (How have they not used that to a greater extent) He's got all sorts of potential, and he looks so cool. I mean he's a giant evil eye-ball who seeks to rule the world. How is he not a serious player in the battle against Link? O, now I rememebr

We've gotten Ganon in all the major games, so most people don't know about Vaati. It's not fair that he gets relegated to some tiny quickly-forgotten-by-the-mainstream games. I do think that Ganondorf should return in Zelda U. I mean we do need to establish him as the main villain over Demise, but am I the only one who wants him to return as a villain in a major game. Maybe he could fight with Ganondorf in a partnership. Would anyone else pay for that?

Vaati's a great villain. His starring in The Minish Cap especially struck a chord with me because he was very well introduced-in less than half an hour the primary antagonist was introduced and Zelda reduced to a stone statue. The first time I played the game, the master-apprentice relationship between Ezlo and Vaati certainly surprised me.

Vaati from The Minish Cap is also one of the hardest boss battles in franchise memory. Save for the Big Octorok prior, The Minish Cap wasn't a push-over but the final bout is brutal. While Vaati is undoubtedly an original villain, he was reminiscent of Nightmare from Link's Awakening, Ganondorf, and Majora which made for an especially memorable, slightly nostalgic conclusion.

I didn't enjoy the new villains the developers over at Nintendo created this past generation bar Byrne. Zant stood out as a clear front-liner until his breakdown. Bellum, Malladus, and Ghirahim never resonated with me. Vaati's return is as long overdue as Ganondorf's.

If Nintendo ever creates another 2D Zelda game, Vaati and Ganon(dorf) would make a natural team. Unfortunately, I can't picture them together in a 3D game. Vaati is better suited for lighter cel-shaded environments whereas Ganondorf is a grittier villain. Nintendo has shown a lot of love for cel-shading in the past decade, however, therefore I don't rule that out completely. After seeing The Wind Waker HD, I'm not averse to the idea but following a several year interval, I'd prefer to see a more realistic home console installment next.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nah. I found him to be a pretty weak villain. And anyway, he was made by Capcom.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Vaati was an awesome villain in the Minish Cap. He appears in the very beginning and then appears very regularly throughout the rest of the game. Yeah, he had really good build up. His character was well defined and I liked the connection between him and the minish and Ezlo. His final battle was great too. It was challenging and fun, and it incorporated skills from the entire game. His appearances were less stellar in FS and FSA though, compared to MC. If you were to have him appear again like he did in MC I would be all for it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes yes and yes. I really loved the way Vaati was portrayed in The Minish Cap - he felt like a human very well corrupted (which he was, except a Minish). This made tons of emotions spew everywhere, and I'd love to experience that again. Just give him 10x the power and a LOT MORE destruction.

And anyway, he was made by Capcom.

lol, Capcom can make some pretty intimidating villains. Cue le Albert Wesker.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
lol, Capcom can make some pretty intimidating villains. Cue le Albert Wesker.

This isn't the problem. The problem is that I'm not sure Nintendo could use him. Sorta like that issue with Kammy Koopa.

YES.

For those of you who don't know, I love Vaati. His name represents an emotion to me, faint amusement after a long melancholy. His design is awesome, in all forms, and his appearances always captivated me, especially when he takes the front in MC. He was richly layered and well-used, really everything I look for in a villain, and his fight in MC was cruel yet bitterly fascinating. It's well worth the wait.

Vaati has been pushed to the sidelines along with most villains, although he was in three games--two more than all save Ganon. I consider him the top villain aside form Ganondorf, and just as formidable. Vaati should be used more than he has, and he has so much possibility. Personally, I'd love to see him on the failure timeline. After MC, the Minish were forgotten, and that was sad to me. Vaati does not deserve the fate of the rest of his people, although he is evil. There's so much more possibility in him than we let ourselves see. Come on, Nintendo, Vaati is too good a character to forget.

:vaati:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Maybe he could be the villain in the spin-offs and handhelds, while Ganondorf takes the main series. Familiarity breeds world-building, more focus on the over-arching story, and brand loyalty (Ka-ching). Sounds good to me.

Demise_

Gwoh hoh hoh!
Although I haven't played MC, Vaati does sound like a good villain. I'm not sure about how would he fit into a major game, but we did have some really good games with nontraditional villains (like MM...). Maybe he could be the Zant/Ghirahim of a future game? Personally I like the concept of fighting a bad guy for the whole game, then finding out he was only the sidekick of the main evil guy. And Vaati sounds like a good candidate for such a role - after all, he's just a human (sorry, minish) sorcerer, which could well be used by a more powerful villain.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
He needs a bigger role. He's only in The Minish Cap, Four Sword, and Four Swords Adventures. He's one of the most mysterious villains to ever roam the universe. He can control wind! That's just awesome! It can also come in handy:

"Honey, I've to go. I'm going to be late for work"
[LATER]
"Ah, I hate traffic. That's it! Air-Blast!"
[MOMENTS]
"Hey Jim. Wow! You're 30 minutes early. That never happens. How'd you do it?"
"Well Earl, it's a secret to everybody."

Maybe he'll be in the new Zelda Wii U.

Last edited:

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
I don't think he should return, no.

Don't get me wrong, though; I love Vaati as a villain. He got decent origins, a goal, and steadily grew more and more monstrous, and more mindless, as his story progressed (much like Ganon on the defeated timeline). His only concerns with Zelda were the incidental powers she holds, and less her position or even, to a degree, her Kingdom. His lust for the Light Force was what drove him and ultimately ended his mind, and his life. Great stuff! It's nice to see other villains getting showcased in such a way.

But, his story's over. We saw his beginning, we saw how he died, as a puppet to a stronger force of evil (who didn't). I don't want to see his story drawn out needlessly, any more than I want a 4th split (THAT would be a headache to explain...). I'd rather, if it came to it, that we saw another one-time villain get a bit more screentime, or a new villain who can get their own small trilogy. It's not like they can't, what with the curse and Ganon's end reached in at least 2 timelines. Even if they touched on Malladus's sealing, I don't think I'd be terribly put off (even if I wasn't a fan of his game). He did kill Zelda off the bat so he clearly had some wits about him.

Yeah.
I'd like to see his more humanoid form again instead of just the eyeball.
The reason I'd like to see him return is more because his goals are different than just the standard rule the world. While he does want conquest, the fact that his interest in Zelda is more of an evil obsessive crush than needing her for power is, while a bit cliche, something we don't see in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom