• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Series That Went Crap

Teron

van der Nguyen
Hello, Zelda Dungeon! ToTeron is back.
First of all, I'm sorry if there already is a thread like this.
Second, let's begin with the topic.

So, the question is:
There's a plenty of video game franchises that started with good games, but then either discontinued or turned into crap with it's crappy new games. So tell me, which ones gave you the biggest disappointment?

For me, those are:
Crash Bandicoot — no good games at all since Nitro Kart
Mega Man — almost died
Pac-Man — no comments
Chrono — where did it go?

Well, I agree with you about Mega Man and Chrono games. The Sonic the Hedgehog series went to crap from Sonic Heroes to Sonic 06. Except the handheld games of course. I can't really think of any others.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Sonic series definitely died after Sonic Heroes (well, some say with the start of SH, though I feel the game was pretty good). Unleashed? Boring game. Colors? It's a nice concept, but that Boost mechanic. Generations? lolstoptryingtoreachthepast. We've yet to get a great Sonic game a la the Adventure series or the games before then. SEGA is holding themselves back.

[joke] The Zelda series died off after The Wind Waker. I don't know WHAT happened, but the magic of the series is all but gone with the wind.

Resident Evil hasn't really turned to crap, however, it doesn't have the scare factor anymore that 0-4 presented me with. In 0, I was afraid of Hunters. I hated them to death. The whole of RE1/REmake made me want to scream, particularly the Crimson Heads. 2 and 3, they're self explanatory. Novistadors from 4, and also Verdugo...they literally gave me nightmares, if Las Plagas wasn't enough. 5 though? That's nothing but an action game, because Chris Roidsfield decided to take that gym candy. Mercs3D is nothing but the Mercenaries, which is inherently fun and NOT scary. Revelations doesn't seem to be so scary, and Operation Raccoon City is nothing but Call of Duty with a better Zombie Theme.

Star Ocean died with the release of SO4.Terrible gameplay, terrible music, terrible story and terrible characters. I love Reimi, Edge, Lymle and Bacchus...but everyone else? They're just ekh. The single good part in the entire game was the ending, that's it. What's the deal with the Rush Gauge? Whatever happened to the Fury Gauge, y'know, the one that actually worked? What happened to memorable characters, ones alike those of Fayt, Maria and Cliff? And...the English Voice Actors! Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves!!

I'd say Final Fantasy has went to crap with Final Fantasy XIII, but 13-2 redeemed the series for what it's worth. FF13 really lost the series gameplay, and the story made no sense to me. I'm used to not understanding games of the FF series, however 13 just...gosh, I don't know.

Bomberman died after The Second Attack. It seems as if the series just doesn't know how to capture the feeling of awesomeness, and I haven't seen a good release since TSA!

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
Donkey Kong - died after Donkey Kong 64. And no, DKC Returns doesn't count for me, I want a 3D platformer with Kremlings and King K. Rool.
Metroid (in 2D only) - The last Metroid is in captivity, the Galaxy is at peace? No - all Metroids are dead, Metroid Fusion was last. Rumored Metroid Dread was never done.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman have been the two series for me that seem to keep getting worse.

Sonic started out great on the Genesis, I didn't have a Saturn so I'm not sure how things went there but on the Dreamcast we saw Sonic Adventure and that was amazing. After that we saw Heroes and The Sonic Advanced Series that were great additions. From then on out things went downhill. Sega started making 3D games and they just weren't any good. They tried putting Sonic in different times throughout history, in a tennis game and finally in a Mario Kart rip off, and who could forget Sonic Unleashed? Sonic Generations has finally given me some hope that this series will be able to make a great comeback someday.

Megaman was an instant classic with 6 amazing games on its first console. Followed by the Megaman X series that took an amazing game and somehow made it better. From then on out Megaman had a few good outings but Capcom just releases junk like the Battle Network games. Capcom redeemed themselves with Megaman Zero and its sequels but killed their momentum Star Force. They have recently come back with Megaman 9 and 10 for Wiiware, but this series has seen a lot better days.

Command and Conquer went totally crap. I already didn't like Generals and Renegade, but the last title Tiberium Twilight was widely considered a very unfunny joke among gamers.

MW7

Donkey Kong - died after Donkey Kong 64. And no, DKC Returns doesn't count for me, I want a 3D platformer with Kremlings and King K. Rool.

DKC Returns counts for me, but I agree that a good 3d platformer is waaaaaaaayyyy overdue. Losing Rare is not an excuse. It's not that hard to try to emulate someone else's style while adding in your own flavor.

The only other series I want to discuss is Zelda. I in no way am saying that Zelda is now crap, but I am saying I'm disappointed. I still think it's the series of games with the highest quality. It's just that the series started off as a sandbox game with no direction given to the player. ALTTP and OOT gave direction but still allowed for significant deviation within the main quest. Now Zelda games are closely tied to and dependent on the plot and allow for little deviation from the intended path through the game. Many people would disagree with me, but I think this is regrettable as I believe the sandbox/nonlinear style is the superior style for Zelda games. Back in 2006 Twilight Princess was released and after playing through the game, I felt that another game released that year, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, was closer to capturing the spirit of the original LoZ than was Twilight Princess despite being in the same series of games. To be clear though, the newer games are not crappy in any sense, but I am disappointed in them.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Sonic the Hedgehog. it's horrible now!!! I'm really happy with how Metroid and Zelda are, regardless of what other people say. I actually really like Spirit Tracks.

Jonny

When in doubt, mumble.
Mega man, Sonic the Hedgehog are two games that I really think have gone down hill to such a great degree that I just can't bring myself to care any more even though my childhood is filled with such great memories of these games.

I would mention Final Fantasy but not because it is in anyway bad (FFXIII was a great game, but felt a bit disappointing) but because they just don't feel like Final fantasy games any more, not since 10 imo. I also fall in the camp that really misses the world map, it was a feature of the games I absolutely loved.

YoshiFlame

Businessman of Legend
I also agree that Mega Man went down in quality, aside from MM9 and MM10, both of which I love. I haven't even bothered playing a Sonic game since SH.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I haven't followed very many series long enough to judge them objectively over time, but I've followed Zelda long enough and I think the series is taking a bad direction. MW7 mentioned something about linearity earlier, I do think that's one issue, but I also have issues with how the games are being made as games. The handhelds after MC have been lackluster (PH and ST) due to really poor choices in control scheme. I'm perfectly fine with the touchscreen, I just don't like that it was the ONLY control method. The console games after WW have been disappointing (TP and SS) due to what I feel has been really really poor story writing and too much linearity. I really wish Nintendo would give CHOICE back to the players, both in terms of what you can do IN the game as well as HOW you play the game. I think the series is going downhill and suffering from too much player restriction.

I loved Spyro the Dragon but after A Hero's Tail came out, it went to crap. And now we have that stupid toy line. Also, Sonic is still pretty good, mind you nothing in Sonic will ever be as good as the dreamcast era no matter how hard Sonic Team and SEGA try. And they have tried... REALLY hard.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
[...]I still think it's the series of games with the highest quality. It's just that the series started off as a sandbox game with no direction given to the player. ALTTP and OOT gave direction but still allowed for significant deviation within the main quest. Now Zelda games are closely tied to and dependent on the plot and allow for little deviation from the intended path through the game. Many people would disagree with me, but I think this is regrettable as I believe the sandbox/nonlinear style is the superior style for Zelda games[...]
Although I was half-joking with my comment about the Zelda series, MW7 speaks what I take as the truth. The ability to nearly do anything what you want, given by LoZ, ALttP and OoT (some say MM allows it as well; reverse bottle adventures I believe possible but I do not know for sure) has noticeably gone absent from recent titles, along with what I believe to be series mainstays such as the Boomerang (I mean it's usefulness), Magic Meter and well...ability to be different in story. What is the deal, Nintendo?

The plot like never changes between Zelda releases. The biggest change, and the only noticeable one at that, was with Majora's Mask. The story in MM was the best one since Ocarina of Time. I could continue to praise MM's story, but the point is, we've been tied down to complete the story which literally is the same plot since OoT, and there seems to be less and less to do with each new release. Don't get me wrong, the story is somewhat important to the game, but the freedom to do what we want I value a LOT more.

The console games after WW have been disappointing (TP and SS) due to what I feel has been really really poor story writing and too much linearity. I really wish Nintendo would give CHOICE back to the players, both in terms of what you can do IN the game as well as HOW you play the game. I think the series is going downhill and suffering from too much player restriction.
Sorry Xinn but I gotta quote this as well. It's no secret that the Zelda games have had the same story since TWW (the story started with ALttP I believe), and I do believe that the linearity of Zeldas has steadily been increasing since TWW.

I won't comment on the Boomerang. I just miss it's practical application in games like TWW and OoT.

The Magic Meter, it adds limitation to the series. I don't mean it stops the series from being awesome, I mean it stops the series from becoming incredibly dull. You all saw what happened with Skyward Sword: the Sword was the singlemost important item in the entire series. What happened to Fire, Ice and Light arrows? What happened to diversity in item usage? What happened to having to think beyond ammunition when in a battle? Nintendo, you're not even trying. I realize a company's existence is to gain money, but I'm not a noob to Zelda. I want challenge, and I want the Magic Meter because it provided me with challenge as well as great fun.

As I made a point before, the story seems to never change in the Zelda releases. They're following the same ol' plotline: Peaceful establishment, evil force, find stuffs out, dungeons, find out moar, forge something, undeniably WIN in the final boss. Where's the ambiguity? Where are the alternate scenes? Where are the unexpected events? I understand that Zelda has never really touched upon multiple endings and particularly sad events with the exception of Majora's Mask, but given that we do have an example of what Nintendo could do, why resort to the typical, annoyingly predictable "Hero Story" that we've played for the past 14+ games? Nintendo, please try harder.

I would mention Final Fantasy but not because it is in anyway bad (FFXIII was a great game, but felt a bit disappointing) but because they just don't feel like Final fantasy games any more, not since 10 imo. I also fall in the camp that really misses the world map, it was a feature of the games I absolutely loved.
XII felt like a Final Fantasy in an odd kinda way, with 13 it didn't feel quite as much. I feel like the switch to amazing graphics did it to Final Fantasy...now it's really just a brand title...no way, it's because the ATB gauge isn't the same anymore. In 12, it was just like an attack loader. We didn't "take turns" like in classical Final Fantasy. Same in 13. 11 and 14 were MMORPGs and I haven't played them.
Also, Sonic is still pretty good, mind you nothing in Sonic will ever be as good as the dreamcast era no matter how hard Sonic Team and SEGA try. And they have tried... REALLY hard.
I do not feel like Sonic Team and SEGA tried at all with the recent Sonic releases. Undoubtedly, they were rushed with Sonic 2006 because of fan demand for an HD Sonic. We saw how that turned out. Unleashed was another failure that they didn't try with. Colors was decent, though nowhere near the point of the Adventure series. Generations...I don't know what was wrong with Generations but I just didn't like it. I think it's the control scheme, IDK.

Last edited:
Spyro the Dragon- Nobody and I mean nobody cares about the newer installments.

Crash Bandicoot- Ever since the GC/PS2/XBox, he hasn't been the same.

James Bond series- People only care about GoldenEye for the N64

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom