• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rupee System: Liked or Disliked?

rupee system: liked / disliked?

• liked

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • disliked

• dont care

• Total voters
D

dsonics

tyank you all for posting. (didn't think that so many people would comment) :)

If you're talking about the economy, then I suppose I kind of liked it. It's like ALttP in that you'll be collecting a TON of rupees, but unlike ALttP, it almost forces you to spend large amounts of them. So, you're getting large amounts and spending large amounts. You rarely get to enjoy the luxury of a full wallet.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I really liked the Rupee system; things of (momentary) use were allocated a decent amount, and rupees although not sparse were not overly abundant either. I won't say they were in just the right proportion, but it wasn't as hard as some contemporaries like to exaggerate.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
It is an improvement over other games. In Ocarina of Time players spent 99% of the game with a full wallet, no matter the amount it could hold. In Twilight Princess and the Wind Waker, players could find and carry a ton of rupees so the games simply provided players with money sinks to dump em all into (Tingle in WW, fundraising and donations in TP) which was meaningful but not very strategic.

Managing rupee spending in Skyward Sword was strategic and went well with the resource management of that title. I actually had to stop and think about my purchases, knowing that I had limited rupees to spend and that it might actually be a while before I could get enough back to make another essential purchase. Finding rupees in the field was seldom a wasted opportunity which meant that finding rupees was actually exciting this time (kind of). I rarely had a full wallet in SS, nor would I fill er up just to dump most of it into some extended payment plan either.

F

Fierce Ro

It was good but too easy to get rupees with the golden rupees everything was very easy to buy but still was pretty good.

New Link

Link's Reincarnation
Love this much more in this game, then say, TP where your money was always overflowwing, in SS I always need more money

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
The only Zelda game I think did poorly on the rupee system was WW. Most of it was fine, but when the Tingle Map quest forced you to collect loads amount of rupees, it took away from the joy of collecting rupees. Most Zelda games, including SS, use rupees as a convenience. In the past, rupees were only majorly needed for collectors or serious Zelda players. You could go into battle without the things you needed rupees to get and there was rarely a major item you needed them for. SS differs in that while everything is still optional, (thereby not taking away from the joy of collecting like WW did) the things rupees provide you like upgrades and newer shields are more... valuable to the casual user, making rupees themselves more valuable. You don't have to buy these things, but you want to and there's ALOT of things you want to buy. This system is not better nor worse in my opinion. It makes rupees feel more like currency, so if that's what you were looking for than SS provides, while (as previously stated) making them more valuable and the statement "a rupee saved is a rupee earned" all the more true. However, I simply had a more enjoyable time when rupees were used by the experienced player. Made me feel special in that I knew how to correctly use my rupees and what to use them for.

All in all, SS makes rupees more valuable and more like currency. Not a bad idea, (a good idea actually) just one I Personally don't like as much as previously used games.

Last edited:

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I liked the rupee system in Skyward Sword. My wallet was hardly ever full, yet when I needed to buy something, I always seemed to have enough rupees to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom