• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Triforce Heroes - 5.5

It was a fun game and it was pretty much what I expected but it was nothing special. It is nice after all these years to have a more accessible multi player Zelda game.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water 5/5 Poes.

Thoroughly enjoying the mix of mystery exploration, the tense, quiet horror, and the Japanese myth and folklore. It's not as scary as I expected it to be, but that's ok because I'm not sure I do well with horror games. The last genuine survival horror game I played was the GC REmake.

Now that I've had time to think about it, here's what I think of all the main series Metal Gear Solid games besides the newest entry, Phantom Pain.

Metal Gear Solid - 8.5/10

It's a 1998 PS1 game, so my expectations were pretty low with the first game I tried out. I was surprised in the best way imaginable.

It's remarkable how Kojima's vision for a truly great story in a video game was realized this early on, and how he was able to pin-point what he could use as far as what the technology at the time could give him. He was genius enough to realize that fully-voiced characters with well-written dialogue was the absolute best way to get the player emotionally involved in his story when the technology wouldn't allow "real" cut-scenes, and how a character-based tale with genuine conflict throughout could really create something the industry had never really seen before. Excellent voice acting on top of a somewhat philosophical and thought-provoking theme of genetics make this an excellent starting point for the series plot-wise.

The game is no slouch in the actual gameplay department either. Yes, some of the concepts, such as a first-person view, are clunky and not implemented to perfection, but the core concepts of stealth and weapon use make a great transition to 3D. I was somewhat frustrated at some of the more cryptic and "old-school-hard" parts of the game (like certain insta-death traps), but the overall experience is still very enjoyable. I should also mention that some of these bosses are pure genius; Psycho Mantis had me completely confused in the most innovative way possible.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - 8/10

I was surprised when I realized that I actually liked the PS1 original better than the PS2 sequel. I think it's mainly because, yes, I don't like how Raiden steals the spotlight from Snake. Yes, it's interesting that we get to see Snake in more of a mentor role, but I feel like this comes at the cost of completely losing our emotional investment in the player character; I just never really felt like Raiden was ever as relate-able or fun as a character as Snake was in the original. I also feel like the plot, while again interesting due to its social commentary undertones, is kind of all over the place. I had a lot of unanswered questions at the end, and not in the good "you have to come to the conclusion yourself" type of way. The supporting cast of characters also isn't as excellent as the previous game. Liquid was a far more interesting antagonist than Solidus, and Rosemary wasn't nearly as well implemented as Naomi when it came to the intrigue elements of the plot. Altogether good, but a step back in a lot of ways.

I also think it's inferior to the original in certain other gameplay aspects. The Big Shell is a bore to explore through, and doesn't have that type of "James Bond" infiltration feel as Shadow Moses did. I do, however, greatly appreciate how the generational shift made the weapons play much more intuitive and fun. The first person aiming is greatly improved, but other things, like swimming, are still very much sloppily implemented. The bosses also kind of take a step back as well - encounters like Fatman and Vamp have absolutely nothing on battles like Psycho Mantis or Cyborg Ninja in the original.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 9.5/10

Now THIS is a sequel. I almost can't compound all the good things I have to say about this game in just a few paragraphs, but I'll try. The switch in perspective to Big Boss during the Cold War era was an excellent choice, giving us essential backstory to the character that is truthfully the most influential and essential to the entire Metal Gear plot. I adore how we get to see him at his origins, having to take down his mentor and dear friend due to her defecting to the Soviet Union. The parallels it makes to Snake's first major journey in MGS1 is also pulled off incredibly well, and the ending is hands-down one of the best I've ever experienced in a video game. Seeing the origins of the mysterious "Patriots", something that wasn't well explained or thought out in MGS2, is also done in a way that makes complete sense according to what we know about WWII in this universe. Altogether the best plot of a Metal Gear game hand down.

MGS3 is also the first instance where the series fully embraces a 3rd-person perspective instead of the traditional top-down approach, and I think the result is an altogether better experience. The weapons are finally able to be used to their fully potential, with excellent aiming and usage mechanics. The environments are the most varied and interesting in the entire series up to that point, with jungles, rivers, enemy bases, deserts, mountains, all that kind of good stuff. The concept of "survival" is very well done as well, with camo indexes and hunting for food, which makes the experience all that much more believable. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say the bosses are definitely comparable to MGS1 as well; the fight with The End was such an excellent concept and change of pace, that it's hard not to fully appreciate what they were going for.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - 9/10

Assigned the dubious task of tying together the entirety of the series along with Solid Snake's final journey, I think MGS4 does it very, very well. Yes, the cutscenes are probably too long and bloated for their own good. But what I think you have to realize is that we had this enormous cast of characters throughout three games, and Kojima truly did the best he could giving every single one of them a satisfying conclusion that made sense and didn't leave any noticeable holes or gaps in the story. It probably, at its core, isn't AS good as a story as what MGS3 had, but it's still very high up there when it comes to plots that get you involved and invested into the characters and events, especially given the concluding nature of Solid Snake's last journey.

I'll get crucified for saying it, but I think MGS4 has the best mechanics of the series. I love how the "levels" are still open-ended when it comes to the sheer amount of ways you can approach and deal with the situation, and how the level of detail means that you'll truly buy that you're in these realistic and real-world environments. "Octo-camo" is an awesome gadget, and the addition of Drebin and his shop make it feel like you're rewarded for going out of your way to explore and take out as many people as possible. It's a shame that actual gameplay time is almost matched by cutscene watching - this would probably be my favorite so far if I actually spent more time playing the game instead of watching it.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - 7/10

Ugh. This is definitely the low point in the series for me, keeping in mind that I didn't actually play Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, or Portable Ops.

Everything is just so cramped and bland. This is definitely due to being on the PSP, but it's just really weird to have a MGS game that's so bland and uninteresting with its setting. I'm also not a big fan of the mission system, as it compartmentalizes everything and makes it seem disjointed and disconnected. It's also so strange being so restricted by ammunition, and it's not a great feeling coming off of the previous four games.

The story is on point though, and it's great to see Big Boss begin his decline into the villain we saw in the original two games. It's not as interesting as the mainline MGS games, but it kept my attention throughout okay.

Looking forward to Phantom Pain with great anticipation.

Ocarina of Time 3D: Master Quest: 7.9/10
It's a good challenge compared to the original, but I don't care for most of the dungeon redesigns. Plus, Stalfos do double the damage to Link, and quadruple the damage to my soul whenever I die to them. They are the sole reason I hate the Water Temple in that version.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Yakuza 4... why didn't I play these things before.

I like how the combat can often leave you in a bad position because although blocking can sometimes require you to be precise with timing, it has to become a second nature or else you can expect to get stunlocked constantly. It's also nice that while the enemies do have plenty of possible windows for attack, so do you; if you take the time to learn the combat I'm pretty sure it's possible to find ways to keep enemies stunned at a constant rate without leaving any windows for them to even get back up, provided you manage to keep yourself out of stuns from other enemies in case you're fighting large groups. (hint: You will. A lot)

There a lot of minigames, which I don't feel like I've spent enough time on to say much about. At least the batting one is pretty creative, since you not only have to focus on hitting the ball but also on hitting targets with it. Other ones I've tried are the hostess coaching (didn't bore me but I don't think I'll go back to it), pool (I like pool, so I liked this one) and Boxcellios. Definitely need to look out for these more.

I also ended up enjoying the story a lot. It reminds me of Metal Gear in the way it can be pretty silly and convoluted while still managing to be affecting and kind of simple to follow. There is one part in particular that feel like an elaborate plot twist for its own sake, to the point I'm not sure if I admire the writers for being bold enough to pull something like that or if it's just needlessly unorthodox. Anyway, I don't think I'm the best person to decide whether it's ultimately beneficial or not to the game, so I'll leave it at that.

Something else on the story: I feel like playing the other games first might have been a better idea, since they refer a lot to events that you're just supposed to know about. The game has a feature that lets you see a summary of the previous ones, but if they're even half as good as this one, I feel like leaving that alone and then coming back to this one after I get to the others might be the better choice.

Rating: pretty-large-number / slightly-larger-number

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom