• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Pronunciation of 'Ocarina'

I have always pronounced the 'O' in Ocarina like the 'O' in 'boat,' but I have heard many people in videos pronounce it like the 'O' in 'dot.' I just want to know which one it is, and I hope I haven't been mispronouncing it for 13 years!

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
[video=youtube;ul0x5uzcI6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul0x5uzcI6o[/video]

Well, I think that answers the question....

blackenedktulu

Fierce Deity
I know that the word itself is pronounced with the short 'o', as one would pronounce it in "dot". But, that being said, I bought the game in 1998, and read it as "Oh"carina, and I guess it stuck. I vary in between, but usually it's the longer 'o' sound that I use.

V

Voltrune

I say it like, awk-a-reen-a. I don't know if that's a proper way to pronounce Ocarina.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I guess I have been mispronouncing it for all these years. Oh well, I'll just have to practice saying it with the short 'o' so that I get used to it. It just sounds so weird to me :hmm:

jbkarate9

KAME HAME HA!!!!
I've heard "OH-carina" and "AH-Carina" the c being prounounced like a k. like Okarina but its not spelled that way. I personally say it either way usually.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I guess I have been mispronouncing it for all these years. Oh well, I'll just have to practice saying it with the short 'o' so that I get used to it. It just sounds so weird to me :hmm:

The simple fact is, it's the classic "po-tay-to" "po-tah-to" debate. It's not "correct" the other way, but since there is no word that it can get mixed up with, everyone knows what you mean and it really doesn't matter. As long as you don't pronounce it "flute" I don't see a problem with it.

That being said, I know someone who pronounces it "orc-a-rina" and I'm all like "GRRR! There IS NO "R" in the beginning!!!" lol

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't know what the real pronunciation is, I stick with OH-KA-REE-NA. It sounds right and the word looks like I say it. But right is mostly opinionated and obviously varies. Just go with whichever way feels right to you.

R

Relindra

[video=youtube;ul0x5uzcI6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul0x5uzcI6o[/video]

Well, I think that answers the question....

What he said in the video.

I'd slap one silly irl if they pronounced it like the o in boat =P

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I pronounce the "O" in Ocarina like the "O" in "boat", though I know it is wrong, or at least the majority pronounce it the other way (I think). I won't change, I just like pronouncing it that way :P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom