• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pop "Music"

Big Octo

=^)
Oh my, Modern Pop is pure garbage to my ears. I can't stand the stuff, and I hardly recognize it as music.

The first of my many problems are the artists, if you can even call them that. One of the first few things to note about them is the lack of talent. You know, the reliance on Autotune and anything related. Anyone can use programs to make their voice sound better, but imo even autotuned voices sound horrible. So, is the "artist" just a figure head of sex appeal or fan girl appeal?

Following the artist is the lyrics of the songs themselves. It's worthy to mention that most modern pop artists don't even write their own songs, a group of people around a meeting table do. Why? Because they recognize the demographic and try their best to appeal to it. However, this still leads to soulless, uninspired lyrics. This again raises the question if the artist is just a figure head, which by now I think it is.

My final major problem is the "music" tagged along with the earbleed inducing singing. It's all synthetic, with no talent used to create it, only producers creating track mixes with programs. There are so many sounds that hardly resemble instruments, and only serve to torture the ear (well, in my perspective at least). The drum beat is the same for EVERY SONG. No joke, it's uninspired and easy to see through, I'd you know music.

These three glaring issues makes the genre intolerable. I'll take classic rock, punk rock, hard rock, progressive rock, and metal any day.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Pop is not a favorite genre of mine. I like a few certain tracks from a variety of Pop artists, but above all I just can't bring myself to associate with it. My aversion and possible dislike toward pop stems from the overblown fame of Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga, for example, who have close to zero musical talent about them. As an extension, though, my true distaste of the genre lies in Disney pop. Disney rears artists from ******** TV shows and then signs them up to "musical" careers that, for me, aren't even worth looking into. It's not the messages in the songs themselves, but the music alone. It all sounds recycled and hyped up to feed a listener's fantasies. If that brand of trickery is how one launches a career, then I want no part of it.

Same could go with he majority of pop artists, I'm sure, but I've never really gotten into Ke$ha, P!nk, Avril, or others, so I'll refrain from critiquing them.

On the brighter side of things, I noticed that Owl City was mentioned earlier, who I love with all my heart. Their music is utterly exquisite and offer more than the trite feel of "Baby I wanna get down with you!". Leona Lewis also has a pretty good line-up, from Bleeding Heart to I See You, and I also like Halo by Beyonce. But the most radiant example of my enjoyment in Pop is Bruno Mars. Take a listen to this brilliancy...

[video=youtube;DBRdKYzlRgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBRdKYzlRgo[/video]

Trio the Punch said:
...Seriously, it's just pop repackaged to make people who think they like metal listen to it. Metal is dead and Linkin Park (along with all other nu metal atrocities) is the casket it's buried in...

You sure about that? I mean, I can see where LP is similar to P.O.D.'s style, but they sound nothing like the Jonas Brothers or Katy Perry (and I mean musically, not vocally ;)). Therefore I am far more inclined to believe that their style is closer to hip-hop than pop.

And also, metal is not dead. A lot of bands are going mainstream and integrating "poppish" sounds in with their music, but not all have gone down that easy path. Nickleback is really the only one to regress to that degree, and they are a renowned metal band. Other than them, I am not outright aware if anyone else has followed their lead.

Last edited:

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
I think this song was made to show that the music industry is going down, and that can be seen in the lyrics.

[video=youtube;lxdKdTt729E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxdKdTt729E[/video]

Hear the sound of music
Drifting in the aisles
Elevator prozac
Stretching on for miles

The music of the future
Will not entertain
It's only meant to repress
And neutralise your brain

Soul gets squeezed out
Edges get blunt
Demographic
Gives what you want

One of the wonders of the world is going down
It's going down I know
It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares
No-one cares enough

Now the sound of music
Comes in silver pills
Engineered to suit you
Building cheaper thrills

The music of rebellion
Makes you wanna rage
But it's made by millionaires
Who are nearly twice your age

Soul gets squeezed out
Edges get blunt
Demographic
Gives what you want

One of the wonders of the world is going down
It's going down I know
It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares
No-one cares enough

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I have no clue where all of you got the idea that pop music is all about sex & drugs, That's probably rap ya'll be talkin' 'bout. Autotuned?.. Hmm, I'd say that's 50/50, But most pop songs aren't meant be deep or taken seriously.. They are just backround music that make people get off of their couches and move a little bit. That's pretty much what pop music is, party music, Then after a few drinks and 10 minutes we have some more bass heavy songs that are only meant as dance songs or maybe even a classic rock song if everyone is in the mood.

..and I don't blame people for picking those songs for dance, I have yet to be at a party where every song is punk rock, metal, heavy metal, trash metal etc.. you get the point. Altho, I yet have to see a normal person sit down and relax with pop music in their ears.. It's impossible, the lyrics just drive you crazy, they are the same crap that's been used for 5 years now.. "Boohoo I have a broken heart". But at parties nobody listens to it as much, so nobody cares ;)

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I have no clue where all of you got the idea that pop music is all about sex & drugs, That's probably rap ya'll be talkin' 'bout. Autotuned?.. Hmm, I'd say that's 50/50, But most pop songs aren't meant be deep or taken seriously.. They are just backround music that make people get off of their couches and move a little bit. That's pretty much what pop music is, party music, Then after a few drinks and 10 minutes we have some more bass heavy songs that are only meant as dance songs or maybe even a classic rock song if everyone is in the mood.

..and I don't blame people for picking those songs for dance, I have yet to be at a party where every song is punk rock, metal, heavy metal, trash metal etc.. you get the point. Altho, I yet have to see a normal person sit down and relax with pop music in their ears.. It's impossible, the lyrics just drive you crazy, they are the same crap that's been used for 5 years now.. "Boohoo I have a broken heart". But at parties nobody listens to it as much, so nobody cares ;)

There is at least one song in every genre (minus classical music) that talks about sex and drugs. They may not be as explicit, but it's still there. Country songs talk about people smoking pot all the time (Willie Nelson,) plenty of rock songs feature the topic, and so does rap and hip hop. Drugs and Sex are a part of our culture and therefore will be found in our music. Is it right? Some say yes, some say no. That's not the point. As Zorth said, you can't just blame pop for being solely about sex and drugs.

I myself dislike listening to pop music all the time, because to me it all sounds too similar. No it's not the same, it's just similar. Yeah that can be said about any genre because that's what defines a genre, but for me, pop is too much the same. I enjoy listening too it, but not often. Another issue that bothers me about Pop radio stations is that I will hear only the latest popular songs. I don't like that. I want variety. I love rock stations because they will feature music from today, but they're not afraid to play good music from past generations like the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. Just because something is new, you shouldn't overplay or people will get tired of it.

Everyone has their own taste in music. I prefer rock myself because there are so many different kinds. You have Rock & Roll, Alternative, Punk, Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Country (yes it's technically a type of rock...not my favorite but it counts), Bluegrass, Southern Rock, etc. If you want see a full list of every different type of genre then click this link here: List of rock genres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Modern Pop is meant to be catchy and repetitive. The chorus is often times little more than a few words repeated over and over (i.e. Justin Bieber's Baby.) If you want to see true musical genius, then you wont venture into pop. If you want music that is up beat and will make you dance.....I'd say go to electronic music, but yeah pop works quite well here too. All music should be appreciated and given a chance before being completely blown off. I may not be a fan of pop, but it is still music and it serves its purpose to entertain its audience, whoever they might be.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
I'm really sorry to tell you this, but Linkin Park has actually gone down in quality with the release of "A Thousand Suns." As much as I adore their old music, they have actually dropped massively, and you could see it in "Minutes to Midnight." They were already moving away from their band's roots, going for a more pop feel, and the screamo songs they had on that album weren't all that great. "Bleed It Out" was maybe their only good song that they screamed in that entire album. "Minutes to Midnight" is exactly why I've entirely moved from any form of heavy metal, and more to alternative and rap.

Additionally, they play Linkin Park on the radio constantly. Here's a list of songs that I've heard on the radio.

• What I've Done
  • The Catalyst
  • Breaking the Habit
  • In the End
  • Somewhere I belong
  • Numb
  • New Divide

I'm not sure what radio stations you listen to, but these were constant on the rock channel I used to listen to prior to it changing to "Easy Listening."

And then for my last point; Linkin Park talks about drugs in a few songs. "Numb" especially.

I'm not sure how you don't see it. This person's expectations have left him with nothing left to do than to use drugs as means of escape.

Linkin Park was a good band, no doubt, but you have them on too high of a pedestal, when they're just like every other rock band out there.

Nowhere in the lyrics of Numb do I find any drug references. They're using the word "numb" to describe that feeling that you get when someone has changed you into something and you can't feel any part of who you truly are. I do agree with you on one thing, that they have been going downhill in quality. I take it you haven't heard their newest album, Living Things, as that album is much better than MtoM and ATS.

Pop music is not "good" music.
But there is nothing wrong with enjoying pop music.
It's made for people to enjoy it.

But, you can't really defend pop music.
It generally lacks quality, but again, it's made for you to enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom