• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Petition to Nintendo - Develop a Gamecube Controller Style Wii U Controller

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Somewhat off topic and I don't own a Wii U yet...but why did Nintendo make so only one person could have the game pad control? Why not made them all the same?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Somewhat off topic and I don't own a Wii U yet...but why did Nintendo make so only one person could have the game pad control? Why not made them all the same?

Because the WiiU currently only supports one gamepad being used at a time. If even two Gamepads were used, it would cut the game framerate in half. that isn't good so they limited it to one. :)

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Remember that the Wii Remote needed a rubber sleeve to be comfortable to hold.

The Wii Remote Jackets had nothing to do with comfort; they were there to increase grip because of the sheer number of people having them fly out of their hands and damaging their TVs/furniture/children. You'd have thought the wrist strap would be enough, or even just knowing-how-to-hold-things but apparently not. I remember getting an email about them which said the were for the exact purpose of improving grip to prevent accidents. I was told I could apply to have two sent to me free of charge, which I did, and then never used them because they made the Wii Remote feel weird and awkward to hold, not to mention the extra hassle involved when changing batteries or getting it to sync with another Wii. Those rubber sleeves were about safety, not ergonomics.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Those rubber sleeves were about safety, not ergonomics.

While I generally agree with this sentiment, the jackets still provided extra comfort for me. Without it, the Wiimote was slippery but still felt like hard plastic "jamming" into my palm. With it, well, the opposite was true; it was a pleasant experience.

I wouldn't buy a gamecube-style pro controller even if one was made, as I already own a pro controller. However, I'm still confounded as to why they ditched the button placement of the gamecube controller. It was the ultimate.

Also, I screwed around with my pro controller in a smash bros.-like fashion to see how it would do, and it fared surprisingly well. So yeah.

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Those rubber sleeves were about safety, not ergonomics.
Ergonomics IS safety. Proper ergonomics also gives a better grip. Having comfortable holding positions gives you a better grip. And that argument really only furthers the fact that Nintendo doesn't particularly care about ergonomics. They had to have a lot of safety complaints to bother to do anything about the Wii Remote. Ergonomics is a refined science. It's relatively simple to determine which positions are healthy and unhealthy. Unhealthy positions pose various risks. The controller slipping out of your hand and hitting something is such a risk. Your hand needs a proper grip, and that grip cannot be damaging or else it can present a danger.

Hanyou

didn't build that
EDIT: I stupidly, hurriedly replied without reading the first post. This isn't my usual practice. The petition addresses some of my concerns, but I'll let this post stand as a monument to my own lack of comprehension, since it has already been read. My points about the Gamecube controller do still stand, of course, but after reading the petition, I have trouble finding a problem with it. In fact, I could get behind it, though I maintain that it might not be worth the trouble.

Why does the Gamecube controller have such a fanbase?

I think it has some merit--it is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever held, the triggers are nice, the analog stick is decent (though the one on my controller broke), and the face buttons were a fantastic idea that Nintendo should have stuck with.

On the other hand, there's only one bumper, and it's only useful as a select button. The D-pad and C-stick shoot off either side of the controller like parasitic twins, and neither is as good as it should be. Nintendo makes some of my favorite D-pads in the business, but the Gamecube one is tiny and difficult to use properly, and the C-stick should be an analog stick--but for God knows what reason, Nintendo stopped short of actually making one.

Even stacked up to its two competing controllers, I don't think it measures up. The Xbox controller is arguably better, and the Dual Shock, while it has its weaknesses, has more functional buttons. Nintendo's own Classic Controller one-ups the Gamecube controller in almost every really meaningful way, though analog triggers and face buttons would be nice. Never touched a Pro controller, but I'd be surprised if its positives are outweighed by those of the GC controller.

At the end of the day, the only two real advantages of the GC controller over other controllers are, to my knowledge, the triggers and face buttons. There's the added, purely relative aspect of comfort. All good, but good enough to raise a fuss about?

It seems like a lot of whining about nothing to me, but I'm not against choice, so it's probably a good idea for Nintendo to release such a controller if there's enough interest.

Last edited:
Nintendo needs to stop trying to make games "innovative" and just focus on making good games. That's why I love my ps3 so much. I can just kick back with an ice cold beer after a long day and just enjoy a good online video game. Or it doesn't even have to be the ps3, it could be my game cube or n64 whatever. I own a wii, i just don't play it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom