• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Petition to Nintendo - Develop a Gamecube Controller Style Wii U Controller

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
This petition has been out for almost two weeks, and it's asking Nintendo to create a "new" controller based on that of the Gamecube.

Since the Gamecube came out back in 2001, the controller has become very popular. With it's comfortable design and innovative button layout, many Nintendo console owners stuck with the controller through the lives of both the Gamecube and the Wii. Now that the Wii U no longer supports that controller, the demand has led third parties to create adapters for the controller (like this one here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BS520SG). However, these adapters only allow GC controllers to act like classic controllers, and still, the GC controllers lack certain buttons that have since become standard such as clickable controls dual left and right triggers, and bigger secondary analog sticks/D-pads. This petition is to show interest in Nintendo creating a Wii U Pro controller in the style of the Gamecube's controller.

I probably should have thought this through a little more since I seem to be advertising it right now, but honestly, I think the idea is ridiculous. This petition is obviously made by Smash Bros. fans who want the controller for the upcoming game to please their muscle memory. Nobody else would go so far to want this than play with more than proficient replacements.

What are your thoughts about the petition? Would you like for the development of such a controller, or is this an outrageous desire?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think it's a stupid petition. It's such a small, trivial thing to want Nintendo to spend a lot of time and money on considering how their console is currently performing. The lack of a Gamecube-style controller is far from high up on the list of reasons why the Wii U is doing horrible. :P

Plus, Nintendo is offering lots of different control methods on the Wii U, more than enough. More than they even need to really, people should be happy they even offer them all. I could perhaps understand it if it was just Gamepads and Wii Remotes, but, there's the Pro controller. So, yeah, I think it's just an incredibly small, petty thing, and I guess good luck to them, but I don't support it at all.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I agree with you, Krazy, this is a pretty pointless petition which would seem to serve on egoal and one goal only which you already mentioned:
This petition is obviously made by Smash Bros. fans who want the controller for the upcoming game to please their muscle memory.
When Brawl came along I was thrilled to learn you could use a GameCube controller because after roughly seven years of using it for Melee it allowed for a seamless transition to the new game. The Wii U Pro Controller is just as comfortable as the GameCube one, has more buttons and better sticks, and is already there available for any and all Wii U owners to purchase. There's simply no need for a new version styled after the GameCube controller. I can understand long-time fans of a specific franchise wanting the same controller again so they don't have to 're-learn' the game for a new controller but its just a pipe dream to think Nintendo will go to the trouble of developing a new controller just to satisfy a small group of fans for one game. The Pro Controller is more than adequate to fill any and all roles a GameCube-styled controller would and so I agree that this petition is pretty pointless and self-serving.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I don't think it's outrageous. I mean, I wouldn't buy it, but if people want it, it would probably make Nintendo a profit. And really though, I video game company's job is to please it's consumers, because that's how they make money. This Controller = Thing People Want = Product That Sells = Profit For Nintendo. I won't buy it though. I always played Brawl with WiiMote Sideways, and the GC controller annoyed me.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think any Wii U owner, such as myself, would agree that the Gamepad is surprisingly comfortable, it actually is one of the better controllers in this aspect.

It may seem awkward as it's rather large; width-wise, but every button is placed precisely for optimal comfort and efficient usage - honestly my hat goes off to Nintendo for actually developing a controller with so many uses, gimmicks etc. and to still make it a great controller overall. While the GameCube controller was rather comfortable, I think the GamePad is on the same level to be honest.

Now I haven't actually got to use the Pro Controller but general consensus seems to be quite positive. The Gamepad and the Wii U's main selling point is "convenience", it's that simple. The Gamepad brings this, I'm not a fan of them putting emphasis on other controls, such as Wii Motionplus, as that defeats the point, but I think three separate controllers are enough - another controller would be overkill - it's simply not needed.

I already signed it a while ago,I really want to play Super Smash bros U with this controller

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's a minor redesign really, so I can't call it stupid. I support it myself. Here's why.

vacPHNb.png

As you can see, there's a little dip where the LED lights are. The way I grip the controller, I have my right hand and left hand associated with the far right and far left of the contrller, respectively. I have my index or sometimes middle finger on the L ZL R ZR buttons. I thumbs govern the right and left stick, and they also govern the D-PAD for fighters in addition to the face buttons. This is the same way that I grip and use the Xbox 360 controller.

Where's the uncomfortable at?
The dip (DIP 1) makes holding the controller for long periods of time considerably uncomfortable for me. A GameCube controller does not possess that same dip, and thus I can hold it for longer. My palms wrap around the bottom right and bottom left stick things ;p

Where I have my hands at (L Hand; R hand), there is a little slope thing (right next to the red lines) that makes my hands and remaining fingers go stiff as an erect nail. I've tried multiple ways of gripping the contorller, and it doesn't work at all. Too stiff 4 me.

Where I place my thumb at regarding the face buttons, there is actually an appreciable amount of space between each button. For games that I typically play, they require I hit Y and A simultaneously (e.g. Asuka's Hiyakujitsuko iirc), and the distance hurts my thumbs. ;p

The D-PAD gives no problems of its own, it's just very unresponsive in Fighters as compared to Xbox360 and even DualShock 3 controller. ;p

Besides, we can all agree that
awUQsThHWRDRpIj-556x313-noPad.jpg

looks better. ;p

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
I would support this petition, I can't play smash bros. without the original Gamecube controller.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Granted I don't own a Wii U yet, but I wanted this back when it was just the wii. I even wrote to Nintendo asking if there was ever plans to make GC/N64-ish controller to work similarly to the classic. The classic controller only really works efficiently with SNES type games, for NES you only need to tilt the wii mote and that works. But whenever I have tried playing N64 games with the classic controller, the button scheme has been backwards of what I have needed it to be, and eventually I just aquired and plugged in a GC controller into my wii to play N64 games.

Thankfully I still have a wii that is compatible with GC, and while it is unfortunate to be limited to the length of the controller's cable it's still preferred to trying to work around the button layout of the classic. I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of potentially having to play Wind Waker HD on a different controller scheme.

Fig

The Altruist
Personally, when it comes to Smash Bros., I need my GC controller. At the same, I have tried out the Wii U GamePad and the Wii U Pro Controller, and I have to say that I really enjoy the feel that these two controllers have given me. I really admire that from Nintendo that they at least gave us the Pro Controller for us GC fans who insist on using a controller similar to the GameCube's. But in the long run, I would probably sign for the petition as well! I know I might get some hate for it just look at that picture that Ventus placed for:
Besides, we can all agree that
awUQsThHWRDRpIj-556x313-noPad.jpg

looks better. ;p

I personally would agree with her! Just look it! I'm pretty sure that if Nintendo ever releases this product officially, Nintendo will gain a lot of profit for it! I am going to stick with my opinions and hope that Nintendo does hopefully make a new GC controller that can be played on a Wii U! :3

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'm mixed on this honestly. Both sides have a point. I'll use Ventus's pictures:
First I want to point out the profiles of the two designs. Notice how the GameCube style controller is narrower, steeper, and the Pro Controller is wider and more slanted. Here's a simple experiment: Make your hands into fists and press your palms together keeping the fist held, then press your elbows together. Hold them there for a minute. Note how it feels. Now, keep your hands pressed together but pull your elbows out at a 45 degree, or so, angle and hold that there for a minute. Note how that feels.

The first should be painful, and the second feels relaxed. The GameCube-style controller (as well as the Wii U Gamepad and all the Nintendo handheld systems) force your arms into the former position, the Pro controller, (and similar ones by other companies) naturally encourage the second position. Prolonged gaming in the first position can damage the nerves in your wrists and forearms and can contribute to developing carpal tunnel syndrome. To be more comfortable, and more importantly, safer, with a controller or handheld system that has the former profile, you will be required to have a looser, therefore less-controlled, grip on it, and it can still hurt your wrists. This is a science called ergonomics. It isn't a personal opinion. It's a medical fact that this happens and it's unavoidable. If for some reason you don't, at least initially, feel pain, the damage can still be occurring. Nintendo has a reputation for disregarding ergonomics. Remember that the Wii Remote needed a rubber sleeve to be comfortable to hold. And even though they had the proper profile with the pro controller, they still ignored how the actual controls on it felt.

In favor of the GameCube-Style, it's better to swap the position of the right stick and the right thumb buttons. Both sticks should be larger, and the face buttons should either be larger, or closer together.

So maybe it does need a redesign. Make the buttons and sticks more usable, but keep the ergonomic shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom