• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

People Making Fun of You for Playing Certain Games.

I get teased and made fun of. A lot.
Today, someone was played Call of Duty/Killzone/Holddownonebuttonfor4hours on their PSP. When I looked over to see what they were playing, they noticed and said Killzone. They then asked me what games I play and I said that I mainly play Zelda. They then just burst out laughing and said that it's a 'Gay' game and only '***s' like it and they proceeded to walk away and laugh at me with their friends. How someone like that can have friends, I'll never know. But I have my select group of friends and while they don't really play Zelda, there's one Girl who I leant my Copies of ST and TP to and I'm awaiting to hear how much she's enjoying them tomorrow! :D

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I know a lot of people who say the wii sucks, and why I don't really mind that, I asked one for curiosity which console was better and he said "PS3, because it has better graphics".

Then I asked "So, let me ask you a question, would the breakfast I puked a while ago look better on PS3 graphics or outdated Wii graphics? Because, you know, realism isn't everything!".

Still, he doesn't make fun of me for liking Nintendo (he actually has a Wii himself). At that time, he was buying it just because of the graphics. He didn't know about the games it had!

While I think the PS3 is a great console, it's definitely NOT because of the graphics alone!

Ok, I got out of topic: I have a friend with asperger who likes Nintendo almost obsessively and I talk about it with him all the time. Some guys make fun of him saying "Mario and Luigi got married" or "Peach is a dude". Yes, it's a very cruel thing and something I think shouldn't be done.

Last edited:
I don't get teased for playing Nintendo games, thank god, but I always feel left out when my friends are having hardcore discussions about Call of Duty and Halo. I always want to jump in and say, "Those games suck, try Zelda!", but they just shoot me down. But there's one thing that we all can agree on: POKEMON PWNS!

Zelda64

The Knight of the Wind
At my school, most people hate Pokemon because of the anime, but they think the games are ok. Everyone likes Mario, it is spilt for Sonic, most people don't have Zelda, but the most of the people who do(me) have played OoT and agree that it is awesome. And finally, most of the boys(including me) have played Halo and CoD, and some of the people who have CoD and/or the PS3 think that those things are better than Xbox and Halo, but they don't hate people who do like that stuff.

YES. Only I'm not so sure if its making fun of me. More like, "we hate Nintendo cause its all "whoop-dee-do" with no challenge so just walk away FREAK" And then they never talk to me for the rest of the year. By the way, about 95% of the conversations at my school are about video games, from that, 99.999% about CoD and Halo, and 0.001% about how cheesy Mario is. What I really hate is that 99% of the people at my school have never even played Zelda, and the fact that no one besides me and one or two of my friends will NEVER play a game unless it was made half a year ago. The funny thing is, one of my friends, who is a hardcore XBox player with not much of a life, came to my house once. I let him play TP for a while, and all he did was run around Hyrule field for half an hour (he didn't even kill a single enemy, he only saw me kill a bokoblin) and then he said that Zelda was the best game he has ever played. After that, whenever someone insults me or Nintendo, I always think "How about you play all of MM and then I ask you if Zelda is stupid":)

Thatlinkisaspy!

(not really)
I always get teased from everyone (but my friend) for enjoying ANYTHING but cod. Heck, even halo isn't good for them just cod. But I play everything they hate(tons of examples:halo, team fortress 2, anything Nintendo).

I'm often mocked because I play old games and old-ish games, but I'll give you two guesses why I am made fun of for playing them.
One of them oughta be obvious; graphics. Where I live, 90% of the gamers will make poor judgments on games based purely upon the quality of graphics in screenshots. They'll see me playing Cave Story or Final Fantasy, and they'll say "Pfft, Codblops has WAY better graphics. Why do you play this *#%@? It's SO lame!"
And the second reason comes from the most common archetype of Xbox Live Chat; homophobic remarks. I play a lot of games from Japan, and thus, there is a lot of color, atmosphere, and deviation from the real world. I'll be playing Scott Pilgrim or Phantasy Star, and they'll tell me "That's SO unrealistic! Why do you play such queer games instead of Modern Warfare?"

And then of course like LolGames4U, I'm also teased for playing games in general.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I know so many people that will attack you for playing Mario, Zelda, or Kirby. Just a few days ago, I was talking about how I am hooked on Zelda, and a couple of people were calling me the f word and what not. I tried to explain to them that I don't like most Xbox360/PS3 games because they don't have that same quality that Nintendo games have, but they just wouldn't listen and continued with the name calling and they even said the Wii was a 5 year old kid toy and also a thing for bored housewives to pretend they're getting exercise. I told them that they're basing what they said on the game "WiiFit", but they jumped the subject and went on with more negative comments. It was quite hilarious but I did rage a bit. I try to avoid the people who will hate you just because you like some "kiddy games".

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I know so many people that will attack you for playing Mario, Zelda, or Kirby. Just a few days ago, I was talking about how I am hooked on Zelda, and a couple of people were calling me the f word and what not. I tried to explain to them that I don't like most Xbox360/PS3 games because they don't have that same quality that Nintendo games have, but they just wouldn't listen and continued with the name calling and they even said the Wii was a 5 year old kid toy and also a thing for bored housewives to pretend they're getting exercise. I told them that they're basing what they said on the game "WiiFit", but they jumped the subject and went on with more negative comments. It was quite hilarious but I did rage a bit. I try to avoid the people who will hate you just because you like some "kiddy games".

It's happened to me too, isn't it annoying? I've met a lot of people who say "the DS sucks and it's kiddy and PSPs better cuz it has Grantefauto" and when asked why do they think that, they say because it's mostly 12 year olds who have one. That's funny, because Kotaku already proved that most DS owners are ages 20 and up while most PSP owners are under 17.

P.D. That isn't a stab at people who like the PSP, by the way.

I get picked on a lot because I don't play the same popular games as everyone else, like Mortal Combat, or Halo. I get teased for playing Zelda games, but I don't ever let it bother me, heck, I made one of my friends get into Zelda because he seen me play it at my place and he got into it. Ever since then I haven't heard a peep from him about a GIRLLL playing Zelda. :O

Good for you that you play what you want and you do not give in to playing other games because they are popular.
People have a habit of teasing others for playing certain games without trying them themselves.

The friend you got into Zelda did he tease you about playing it.

Another reason i feel people get teased dor playing Zelda is because its very child like.

WW is very childlike.
But it is still a very tough game ,especially if you want to get everything.

Imyself play what i want and i do not listen to orhers telling me what to play.

donkey kong

Juicy pants.
at my school you are classified as a "homo" if you don't play COD :mad:

also the only people at my school that likes Zelda is my best friend and I.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I've been pretty lucky with where I grew up. Most of the students weren't judgmental at all, or maybe they just liked me. I could have gone into school cosplaying Link and have more people just thinking it's "cool". I actually wore a Gaara cosplay to school once and people were like, "I like your outfit, who are you?" and I would tell them that I was a character from Naruto, an anime series. No one really cared if we liked video games, or anime. We had tons of people in the school who liked it themselves. My teacher let me do a project on the Kingdom Hearts series. Of course, I haven't been in school for over 3 years, so it might be a bit different now. I liked how it was back then.

I personally wouldn't care too much if someone thinks I'm lame for liking a certain game. As Amanda Bynes said in the movie Easy A, "There's a higher power to judge them for their indecency." That goes more into religion though, so I'll keep it there. Assuming the existence of a higher power is real or not, I believe it matters not in such cases however. So, it basically just doesn't matter to me if people don't like that I like a certain game. Well fine, I'm not forcing you to play it anyways, I'll continue enjoying my adventures and RPGs, you can go play all the first person shooters you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom