• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Parts of Games You Were Stumped on when You Were Younger

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Inspired by Beauts' thread in the world of zelda forum. I'll explain what this thread is asking for with an example. When I was like 10, I couldn't beat the first boss in Spyro Year of the Dragon. I simply didn't know what to do, even though I knew how to damage him. When he takes enough damage he starts spitting fire at you. I must've thought that wasn't supposed to happen, because every time I got to that point, I would pause the game and pick exit level. This continued, every time I played, until I found the strategy guide at walmart. Then I realized that I was doing the right thing, when I got to the fire spitting part, I just had to keep knocking him into the lava like I'd been doing. I still have that strategy guide and it's beat up but still readable.

Anything like this for you? Can be any game, but I would prefer that if it's Zelda, you post it in Beauts' thread.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Where to start... :P Pretty much every game I played when I was younger I got stuck on. I'd get stuck, bored, and move on. Have more of an attention span now but, yeah, it's actually quite sad how few games I ever actually completed when I was younger. I'd get stuck on Jak & Daxter!

Zarah

Pikachu my Snorlax
This is going to sound really stupid, but.....

when I was younger, I could not figure out how to beat Ganondorf in OoT. It took me four months to finally figure it out, and when I did, man I felt so dumb.

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
There was nothing more infuriating to me as a child than trying to escape from X-ATM092 in Final Fantasy VIII. (Otherwise known as that robot spider at the beginning of the game).

I tried so many times and died, and eventually ragequit'd for two years.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
So I mainly played the N64 when I was younger so most of the games I had problems with are on that. And the list is extensive...

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
So many things stumped me when I was little. The example I gave in the World of Zelda thread was not understanding how to do a jump attack and also not understanding what I was meant to do in the Gerudo Training Ground. Neither of those, however, were as problematic as not being able to do the Water Temple for like, literally, four years. It was only when we finally got the internet in my house that me and my brother printed off a walkthrough because we used to go round and round in circles. It turned out we weren't far from the end btw, we could just never find the last key. Oh and also when I was small, I had major problems with the Biggoron Trade Sequence. I still hate doing that. I guess more memories have come back for this one!

LOZ: Oracle of Ages & Seasons
ERRRRRTHING.

Banjo Kazooie
WTF man. I could never complete Treasure Trove Cove. Which is only like level 2, but I was afraid of that shark that chases you in the sea so I'd never get the blue djingo. Also, I didn't know you could kill the giant crab and go inside his shell to get more notes.

Goldeneye
I'd always get to the jungle and not know what to do after Xenia comes over the bridge. Idk.

Super Mario 64
Okay I was never a big fan of Mario. I liked Mario Kart and I even liked playing this game but I used to just kook around on it because so many world's just confused the hell outta me. Especially Hazy Maze Cave. I hated that entire level and everything in it. And don't get me stated on Wet-Dry World. I never realised that entering the painting at different places changes the water level. Oh and Lethal Lava Land scared me so I could never do anything there.

Don't laugh at me, but I got stumped Inside the Deku Tree in Ocarina of Time traversing it for the first time when I was five. I couldn't figure out how to break the spider web to get down to the basement. I feel so dumb thinking back to it now, haha.

I was also stuck trying to figure out how to board the S.S. Anne in Pokemon Blue for the longest time. Who knows how that happened.

octorok74

TETTAC
Oracle of Ages: I couldn't get past the puzzle on Tokay Island in the temple that required you to maneuver through the rotating thing just right. I was stumped for like 3 almost fours years til my cousin helped me out. After that I was pretty happy.

MW7

Donkey Kong Country 2 was my favorite game as a kid. Last year I finally learned that the game places exclamation marks at the end of a stage's name if you collect all the kremcoins. That would have made things a lot easier. I never beat the game 102% until I found that out.

I played Goldeneye 007 an insane amount trying to beat all the levels on all difficulties. I could never beat Aztec on even secret agent let alone 00 agent. Then recently I found out the strategy to make Jaws follow you to your first objective before you finish him in order to give yourself a headstart on the infinite guards. Now I can beat it fairly consistently on 00 agent, and other levels are much harder for me.

This one is straightforward and not resolved. I do not recall ever finishing level 8-4 of Super Mario Bros. despite many tries.

I mentioned in the other thread how I was stuck on the second dungeon of Link's Awakening for about four years because I had no idea how to light a torch.

I can't even give an accurate guess as to how long it took me to beat Super Mario World except I know I had started playing the game very young on the SNES, and I think I ended up beating the GBA version first. So possibly it took me upwards of 10 years to finish the game. Now with little practice I can follow a speedrun and finish the game in 15 minutes.

Also this isn't when I was younger, but I'd like to mention it. Minish Cap is seen as an easier Zelda game, but I played it last year for the first time. I think I got stuck on puzzles more in that game than on all the 3d console games put together.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
in wind waker,i had no idea how to get to the earth and wind temple,i was just roaming around that game for a while,just doing whatever
pretty much i was supposed to shoot the cyclone guy,and use the ballad of gales to go to mother & childs isle;i don't remember how i managed to figure that out though

in twilight princess,i was completly stuck on the big key part in the city in the sky,i was supposed to balance on the skinny ropes as a wolf,but i COMPLETELY forgot i could do that until i rediscovered it by accident,must've been stuck there for months

in pokemon yellow,is just....did not know what to do....at all
this lead me to just give the game to my friend...probably shouldn't have done that but whatevs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom