• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Original Consoles? or Doesn't Matter?

D

Dumbledore

Hey Everyone! I am playing Skyward Sword at the moment but eventually want to go back and play most zelda games. I have play through the first one ( thanks to a walk through) and phantom hourglass. And have started but not completed Twilight Princess and Ocarina of time(3DS). My question is if I should play the games on the consoles that they were released on or play them on the 3DS and Wii if they are available. I heard that the controllers are what the games are designed around and that is the true way of playing them(on original consoles). Does it really take away from the story to play, lets say OFT on the 3DS Vs the 64? Thanks. :yes:

Dan

Erm no it doesn't Oh and IMO OOT on the 3DS is so much better :)
The only time it matters is with MM. Since the ports are very poor. The MM port crashes a lot.

Nintendo only slighlty alters the original source story in remakes or ports. Some additional features may be present or names changed but nothing major. For example in the SNES version of A Link to the Past the third dungeon is known as the Tower of Hera while in the GBA port it is referred to as Hera's Tower. Regarding the same port, several soundtracks from Ocarina of Time were added as well as the entire Four Swords game.

In terms of gameplay, Nintendo usually accommodates multiple control schemes some of which mimic the original source material. For example, if you're wishing to play A Link to the Past on the Wii Virtual Console, I suggest using a Wii classic controller. Older games are sometimes hard to find and there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing a remake or port on a newer console.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
If you want slightly better polygon counts and much better resolution, play the port versions. If you want to have the experience feel ever so slightly more authentic, play them on their original consoles. Either way, it doesn't matter. Just play the games. They're worth it.

Last edited:
D

Dumbledore

Thanks guys. This keeps my options open. I have downloaded a few to the Wii. But on the other hand a retro video game store opened up a few towns away. Pretty cheap units but I am not sure about the games. Not sure how the old units will look on the big screen though. Thanks again.

I don't play them on the original consoles. But that's because I don't have them. So, do whatever tickles your peach.
^This

I never had an original NES, so I couldn't play the first few games that came out on it. I did have an SNES, but unfortunately, it died, so I could no longer play AlttP.... which is why i have its remake on the GBA. I also got rid of my 64, so I had to get OOT and MM on the VC, which work just fine. I also got the revamped OOT on the 3DS. Point is, if you want to try the older Zelda games, then get them on the VC. It won't hurt your experience in the least.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Honestly, my personal opinion is that the games are much better when played on their own consoles.

Half of the LoZ games I have played have been on an emulator on my laptop, and it just doesn't feel the same :(

I feel that playing it on something other than the original console takes away from the xperien of the game. but thats just IMO

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It does not matter. They are the same game on whichever console you play them on. I think the resolution is a bit better on the VC versions though.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I doesn't really matter. I'd go with the consoles or handhelds that are most convenient for you. If you don't have a Super Nintendo, don't buy one just to play your game on.

triforce_power

One of the Sheikah
I honestly don't think it matters, the only systems I own are Wii, DS, and GBA and I've almost played all of them (I don't think there's much difference).
Nintendo has been good with rereleasing games do that you don't have to buy the original system then search for the game (which can be kinda hard sometimes, stupid gameboy games)

...they should really rerelease the oracles at least for Virtual Console (I can't find seasons D:)

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
There are very few Zelda games that I actually play on there original console, but I do play them all on some sort of Nintendo console.
For example, I have the Collector's Edition (so that's Zelda 1, 2, and MM), Ocarina of Time w/ Master Quest & the 3DS version, A Link to the Past on the GBA, Four Swords on the 3DS (I don't have 4 link cables and GBA's and what not), Link's Awakening on the 3DS, and well you get my point. Although every game from Wind Waker-Skyward Sword I have on there original console (Unless having the Wii version of Twilight Princess isn't considered it's original version but it actually did come out before the Gamecube version).

The first time I played Ocarina of Time was on the 3DS, but I played it on the N64, and for some reason, it felt... better. I don't think it's the nostalgia, because I'd never played it on N64 before, but it felt more... I don't know, great. It doesn't make sense, but I liked it more.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The ports and the originals are the exact same except for glitchfixes and minor text changes. Playing OoT3D otherwise is no different from OoTV1.0. (3D plays better than v1.0 anyway).

Oh, but I would much rather you play the original Twilight Princess, meaning the GameCube version. TPWii honestly doesn't feel too much of a Zelda experience, but it DOES have better resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom