• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time OoT Optional Items

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
But how can you get the guard at the gate to open said gate without a shield? He sends you to castle town to get one complete with discount :lol:

Oh that was just a tip, the guard only needs Zelda's Letter to open the gate

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
the guard only needs Zelda's Letter to open the gate

But I swear on Zelda's life that he says something like "that all seems to be in order but you will need a proper shield before I can let you up" or something? Or can you just go to a respawn, then re-enter the village and talk to him again and he lets you up? I've never tried that if so...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
But I swear on Zelda's life that he says something like "that all seems to be in order but you will need a proper shield before I can let you up" or something? Or can you just go to a respawn, then re-enter the village and talk to him again and he lets you up? I've never tried that if so...

Maybe it's different depending on region or something, but what I remember is he'll take Zelda's Letter, mock you for being a child yet the Princess calls you a 'hero', then do two things:
1) recommend you go to the Bazaar and ge tthe Hylian Shield for a discount
and
2) ask you a favor to go to the Happy Mask Shop to get the Keaton Mask for his boy

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
No need for shield. Did thar stuff last night. Also if its a glitcg run, I know thus handy trick to skip the barrier in Ganon's castle. Meaning the gold guantlets aren't necessary

Beauts

Maybe it's different depending on region or something, but what I remember is he'll take Zelda's Letter, mock you for being a child yet the Princess calls you a 'hero', then do two things:
1) recommend you go to the Bazaar and ge tthe Hylian Shield for a discount
and
2) ask you a favor to go to the Happy Mask Shop to get the Keaton Mask for his boy

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't open the gate until you at least get the shield, the mask quest being optional.

*goes to speedrun the deku tree and meeting zelda to check this out*

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
[video=youtube;YB4zsdGpk0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB4zsdGpk0w&list=PLEA0D0A1DFF1819E7[/video]

Yea he doesn't MAKE YOU get the Hylian Shield, he just recommends it. Caleb got a free Hylian Shield from somewhere in the Graveyard though. ;)

Beauts

[video=youtube;YB4zsdGpk0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB4zsdGpk0w&list=PLEA0D0A1DFF1819E7[/video]

Yea he doesn't MAKE YOU get the Hylian Shield, he just recommends it. Caleb got a free Hylian Shield from somewhere in the Graveyard though. ;)

Okay okay I concede lol, no Hylian Shield necessary :)

Actually if you're cool enough, you can just roll under all the rocks ans not get hurt(did so last night. Experience) hylian not needed

Yeah, I was pretty sure that was the case.

I'll have to take some pictures during the run to show whether some of these items are optional or not, it seems.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Actually, Deku Shields aren't even necessary; shields in general are not if you have ample sidestepping room (which you will). Sidesteps and backflips are your main methods of defense in a minimalist run actually 3

And its more fun to play with out one.

But for a 3 heart run, a shield is still nice at times, when you get bet backed into a corner vs stalfos.

Haha that's okay :) I was just saying Dodongo's Cavern will be difficult without it, not that it was necessary haha. Oh and also, you need a Hylian Shield to go up Death Mountain don't you? I realise you can enter through the Lost Woods later but you don't get bombs before you meet the Gorons.

You can roll along the path, at the end of your roll animation you don't get hurt, you can easily make it up the mountain on 3 hearts and no shield.

Last edited:
But for a 3 heart run, a shield is still nice at times, when you get bet backed into a corner vs stalfos.

I intend to do the spirit temple early for the Mirror Shield, either second or third depending on whether I think the backwalking over the river trick is a significant glitch or not.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Back to the tunic discussion, doesn't Shiek GIVE you the Zora's Tunic when she teaches you the Serenade of Water? Along with the Iron Boots?

Nope Iron Boots is awarded in Ice Cavern; you have to purchase Zora Tunic (or obtain it from King Zora).

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
  • Fire Arrows: Usually you can just use Din's Fire, but I remember there being one room (in Ganon's Tower maybe?) that you couldn't complete with them. Am I right, or is there a sneaky way of beating it?
  • Goron & Zora Tunics: Given that I'll be at three hearts max all game, that means without these I'll have a max of 24 seconds on the clock (actually, how does that work? When the timer runs out, do I die, do I lose health slowly, am I teleported to the beginning of the room?). Based on previous experience with the game, I'm pretty sure that means that I'll not be able to beat the Fire Temple without the Goron Tunic

I believe there is a room in the Spirit Trial that is supposed to require fire arrows but you can shoot through a torch if you aim very carefully. As for the Goron Tunic, I don't think it's actually needed. There aren't many rooms in the Fire Temple that actually will have the timer. As for the rooms that do, for some reason the timer is paused while you backflip, so if you keep backflipping through a room the timer will go down extremely slowly. The only problem I would see is with the Volvagia fight. If you want the challenge of doing the Fire Temple without the Goron Tunic, I suppose you could a fairy, which would definitely give you enough time to kill the boss.

EDIT: Okay, so I just found out that it is actually possible to beat Volvagia without the Goron Tunic, but extremely difficult. Like, if you do it perfectly you have 4 seconds left of the clock after you defeat him and then you have to run to the blue warp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom