• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Help On Levels and Link Battles

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I keep losing random matchup battles, and frankly, I'm tired of it. So...could this be because I haven't gotten my team to level 100s? As we know, they're set to level 50 temporarily. I don't use anything below level 50. If I were to use a level 100, would it have better stats when set to level 50 than one of my level 60 somethings? Is it worth it to train everything to level 100, or do I just suck? Should I try IV training?

I did manage to take out a mega kangaskhan, and that's supposed to be OP...I think the most I've defeated is half of the opposing team. I'm doing double battles btw.

pkfroce

Skelepuns
No because when your Pokemon are all set to level 50 when you battle, their stats are reverted to whatever their stats were at level 50. So training over 50 is kinda pointless unless you wanna do something in-game. Most people that you are facing have probably bred the perfect Pokemon with the right natures, IVs, etc. That might be why you're losing.

Fig

The Altruist
I think the main problem is that you are using Pokemon that haven't reached their full potential. It's true that there is no need to over train your Pokemon to Level 100 as they will revert back to Level 50 and keep the stats that they had when they were at that level. Super Training is one way to help increase your Pokemon's stats, but in order to win, you are going to have to breed for your team to be considered a threat in the game. Take Mega Kangaskhan for example. It is in fact true that Mega Kangaskhan is considered OP in the current metagame, if you breed for a perfect Kangaskhan in the first place. There are two concepts that you will need to know when it comes to a Pokemon's stat. These two concepts are EVs and IVs. EVs are the Effort Values that are added towards a specific stat when you battle against a specific species of Pokemon or feeding your Pokemon vitamins such as Protein, Calcium, Iron, etc. EVs are the easiest to understand and actually implement to your Pokemon as there is Super Training, horde battles, and vitamins. However, IVs are unique to each and every Pokemon and in order to get the best IVs for your Pokemon, you are going to have to breed for them.

Each Pokemon has a unique set of IVs that can't be altered once you have caught or obtained the Pokemon, thus the best IVs can only be obtained by breeding two Pokemon with high sets of IVs. Each stat that every Pokemon has (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed) can have a maximum of 31 IVs. Each IV point adds a single point to the stat base and while 31 points may not seem like a lot, it really could really be the difference between able to survive the turn and deal massive damage to the opponent or being just a bit fragile enough to be winning and losing the battle. First thing to do is find someone with a 6 IV Ditto. Luckily, I have an extra Ditto in my PC and I'll gladly lend it to you until you are done (either way, I need to wait for my 3DS to return from Nintendo's repair shop) breeding your perfect Pokemon. When you receive an egg after your successfully were able to find two compatible Pokemon to breed with (which shouldn't be hard with the 6 IV Ditto), make sure you have a Pokemon with the Flame Body ability (Talonflame is the best Pokemon since it has Flame Body and can give you transportation using Fly) to quicken the hatching process by half the required amount of steps. The next step to do is to use Fly to reach Kiloude City and enter the Pokemon Center of that city. On the left side of the Pokemon Center, you should be able to spot an Ace Trainer who goes by the title Pokemon (IV) Judge. I took the liberty of inserting the quotes that the judge will say depending on your Pokemon's IVs.

8StEp.png

8Sun1.png

8StpG.png

I also recommend to check out both the EV thread and IV thread for more information on how to proper breed a Pokemon suited for competitive battling. Hopefully this helps out and if you need that Ditto, just send me a VM or PM and I will respond as soon as possible.

I don't think the fact that your Pokémon has low stats is the sole reason you are losing, the fact that you have said that you are doing double battles has opened up other possibilities as to why you're not winning other than just stats. It could be that the opponent is using moves that work better in double battles than in single battles for example.

Believe it or not the type of battle can change alot of things regardless of your Pokémon's stats. I'm really good at single battles, but I'm not that great at Doubles. It's mainly because my Pokémon aren't built for double battles and that could be the reason why you are not winning many battles. Stats are important, but in your case I don't believe it's what's dragging you down if you were able to defeat Mega Kangaskhan. You probably need to look in to different movesets and see which moves work better in doubles. Something to think about.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I'm in the same boat as Vaati, Dragoncat. It's not always about EV/IV training to perfection (although it still totally is about that). Doubles battles play out differently than Singles battles. I've had to rethink how I approach my opponents in Doubles, since while I can own most people I run across in Singles I have a very hard time in Doubles. So, besides the necessary preparation, it also requires more practice and different tactics.

As a side note: The only reason to ever train a Pokemon past 50 (or past whenever it evolves) for competitive play is if that Pokemon learns a really good move at a much higher level, like Arceus' Judgment or Volcarona's Firey Dance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom