• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ocarina of time remake

if an oot got a remake what changes would you want, cut content, qol, ect

Reiquel

Pilot of Evangelion Unit 00
OoT did get a remake on the 3DS, but I doubt it will be the last.

More side quests, characters, and dialog.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Ocarina of Time is already nearly perfect as is, so I think another remake is wholly unnecessary. The only thing I would change is to make the game significantly less forgiving. Like hero mode, heart drops should be done away with, only this should extend to bombs, arrows, seeds, sticks, and nuts too. This should also be considered “normal” difficulty, with the usual way now considered an easy mode. This makes each individual consumable significantly more valuable, which in turn gives rupees an actual use. This also makes the skulltulla sidequest far more worthwhile. Technically this is a change I would make to all of the classic games (in fact it’s one of the few things I think BotW legitimately does better than the games that came before it) but OoT was the first one to really struggle with this.

Just about every other issue I have with OoT is so minor that it isn’t even worth mentioning, so everything after this is less of a “what do I want in a remake” and more of a “what I personally would have done differently if I were designing this game in 1998.”

The biggest one is that I would change the locations of the Goron and Zora tunics. Both items are technically optional, but the average player would never know that since both of them are given to them for practically no effort. I would make new mini dungeons for them on the other side of the map, and make the game tell the player that they are technically optional. This gives the player a practical reason to challenge themselves that isn’t just “because I can.”

Similarly, I would loosen the restrictions on dungeon order a bit (as in just make it technically possible to do them out of order, but make it something you really need to know how to do), and add rewards for doing specific dungeons out of order. For instance, maybe place a block in the forest temple that can only be pushed by silver guantlets and guards a shortcut to the dungeon item, or add a “magic key” item that will unlock all doors but is only accessible via a secret location that is blocked off by a combination of specific items.

Finally, give the player more things to do as a child after they get the Master Sword. Preferably things that utilize the child-only items in more unique and interesting ways.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion
As much as I love Ocarina, I think it is time we move on. It is a classic, changed my life actually. But we have to press forward in this franchise. Am I saying do not port or update graphics, no that is fine. But I do not think the game needs any major changes, I have heard fans hate the changes they did to Majora's Mask and the changes to Twilight Princess HD.

I wish Nintendo would stop meddling with their classics, it reminds me of George Lucas who kept changing things in the Original Trilogy of Star Wars. I still am not alright with Vader saying "Noooooooo!" when he tossses The Emperor down the shaft. It was more powerful when he was silent save for his haunting breaths, and you could hear the triumphant Jedi score in the background. Some things do not need to be updated.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Ocarina of Time is one of those games I tend to categorize as "good for its time". It was perfectly fine for the first 3D entry in a much younger Legend of Zelda, but video game storytelling has evolved tremendously since then (heck, the original Baldur's Gate released the exact same year and it's a roaring flame of storytelling compared to OoT's proverbial candle).

I'd expand the scope and develop the storytelling overall. Characters like Link and Saria could be turn time to develop the actual childhood friends bond that were only ever told that they have. Ganon could be fleshed out so he isn't just the cackling man who tells a kid not to get in his way before disappearing into his castle for the remainder of the game.

The biggest structural change I'd make would be to the over world. Hyrule Field is a soup bowl of angular inclines, a single ranch, and skeletons. A modernized version would probably end up looking like BotW.

Capcom is the current king of the remake. The also have their fair share of "good for their time" games, but they've been modernizing them with an almost 100% success rate (Resident Evil 3 notwithstanding). I obviously can't speak for what their internal approach is for each game, but it feels a whole lot like developing the game you would have made if you had the same technology and experience back then as you do now.

So, just Resident Evil 2 it.

Last edited:

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion
That's the issue though, why not just play Botw if you want a larger and more realistic world to roam?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That's the issue though, why not just play Botw if you want a larger and more realistic world to roam?
I guess it's the same rational for remaking the old Resident Evil games when you could just as easily play the newer non-remake games: it makes the game look like how you envisioned it as a kid.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion
I guess it's the same rational for remaking the old Resident Evil games when you could just as easily play the newer non-remake games: it makes the game look like how you envisioned it as a kid.
Ah yes, that does make sense. For when I was a child Ocarina seemed as massive open world. Still, I guess I am in minority that thinks that I do not need to go back to feeling as I did then. I want to engage with Zelda here and now, because in truth that is what I did with Ocarina, at one point it was the here and now and new Zelda game.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Ah yes, that does make sense. For when I was a child Ocarina seemed as massive open world. Still, I guess I am in minority that thinks that I do not need to go back to feeling as I did then. I want to engage with Zelda here and now, because in truth that is what I did with Ocarina, at one point it was the here and now and new Zelda game.
That's fair. I think in Zelda's case I'm a bit more lenient since they don't really publish anything more than a graphical touch-ups. It'd be a nice surprise for me if they decided to do a big Capcom remake of an older game.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
cut content 100%, if you're going to go through the effort to redo the whole game, why not add in some of what was lost during development? also maybe some kind of expansion in the vein as bowser's fury or shadow generations w/ sheik, all she really did that we saw was jump from a tree and use a deku nut, let's see how zelda faired while being as sheik and maybe even let us play that part of her rescuing ruto

I'm not on board w/ remakes generally but if they were going to do it, might as well expand the original game while they're doing it, so long as they have the original version available in some way, which they will if they carry over NSO

Guinea

Much More Than A Soup™
cut content 100%, if you're going to go through the effort to redo the whole game, why not add in some of what was lost during development? also maybe some kind of expansion in the vein as bowser's fury or shadow generations w/ sheik, all she really did that we saw was jump from a tree and use a deku nut, let's see how zelda faired while being as sheik and maybe even let us play that part of her rescuing ruto

I'm not on board w/ remakes generally but if they were going to do it, might as well expand the original game while they're doing it, so long as they have the original version available in some way, which they will if they carry over NSO
So basically FF7 Remake but OoT, I like it.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion

In that case it may be best not to call it Ocarina of Time, but something else with a time title. I would not be against a new game set in the Hero of Time period, but a total remake of Ocarina seems to me like its best to just make a new game set around it or from a different perspective or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom