• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time in a Link to the Past?

I was playing a link to the past the other day and I remembered the quest where you aquire the flute that lets you teleport to seven different locations in the light world. I took a closer look at it and its a spitting image of the ocarina from Ocarina of time. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this and wether this had any link to Ocarina of time?

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Nice find! However I doubt it has anything to do with Ocarina Of Time, mainly do to the fact that A Link To The Past was created before Ocarina Of Time and therefore unless Nintendo had OOT planed out before ALttP released I don't see how that could be a reference. However it could be a reference to OOT if your playing the remake on the GBA, as the remake was made after OOT. Blue Ocarinas seem to be a cool thing to have in the Zelda Universe as The Minish Cap had one too under the name of The Ocarina Of Wind.

Djinn

and Tonic
Before Ocarina of Time introduced me to the sweet potato ocarina I used to wonder just why the flute looked like that. I was used to ocarinas looking like this
Ocarina-2.jpg

However after playing OoT I have always thought it was the same instrument. Only after the large amount of time passing between OoT and LttP it has lost it's purpose. Or the knowledge of what it is and does has been forgotten. Therefore it has been handed down from owner to owner in Hyrule until it came into the possession of the flute boy. By that time it was simply considered another magical item from days of old. And Hyrule has plenty of magical artifacts from older eras. The old man handing over the magical mirror further proves this. It might have had some special importance to the sages and the sacred realm, but by the time of LttP it was just another magic trinket happily handed over from one Hylian to another for a good deed. Any idea of what it was made for or who made it was lost to antiquity.

Although there are several other instances of ocarinas appearing in the series that are not the Ocarina of Time. The fairy ocarina made by the Kokiri, a red ocarina is foundon Koholint in Link's Awakening, while in Tingle's solo game there is another ocarina that can be obtained. So the sweet potato ocarina might just be a traditional instrument played in Hyrule by both peasants and nobility. Every so often a magical one is made for specific purposes but since it is such a commonly found instrument among Hylians that they fit in perfectly.

There is also the Ocarina of Winds in MC that Zeldafreak mentioned. It also summons a bird to carry Link to specific points around Hyrule. If the ocarina of LttP is not related to the ocarina of time, then if would at least be related to the ocarina of winds.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Nintendo Power: How did the idea of playing the ocarina come about?

Eiji Aonuma: Wouldn't you say the controller for the Nintendo 64 looks a bit like an ocarina?

An ocarina had existed in A Link to the Past as well, but it was Miyamoto who suggested making it something that could actually be played.

While brainstorming for Ocarina of Time, we knew we wanted to include magic. Eventually we decided that instead of using a magic item such as the ocarina via a single punch of a button, it would be more fun for the player to memorize a melody and actually play it.

Altogether there were 12 melodies for the ocarina, each composed of five notes. It was difficult for the composer to select five notes that seem like you're creating major and minor sounds.

Ever since then the idea of playing a musical instrument has appeared in different forms in the series, and Wii Music places that idea front and center. I think Miyamoto has been carrying around that idea ever since we made Ocarina of Time.
Aonuma looks back at OoT, 2008

It doesn't seem like they had OoT in mind when they put the ocarina in LttP, but they did have LttP in mind when they put it in OoT. I don't think they intended to have a story connection between the two though. As Djinn said, they are fairly common instruments.

Majora's Cat

How about that
The fact is, as the others have stated, that the Flute from A Link to the Past has almost no relation to the Ocarina from Ocarina of Time. The statement below is by Eiji Aonuma in the link that Locke provided in the thread previously.

Wouldn't you say the controller for the Nintendo 64 looks a bit like an ocarina?

An ocarina had existed in A Link to the Past as well, but it was Miyamoto who suggested making it something that could actually be played.

While brainstorming for Ocarina of Time, we knew we wanted to include magic. Eventually we decided that instead of using a magic item such as the ocarina via a single punch of a button, it would be more fun for the player to memorize a melody and actually play it.

Altogether there were 12 melodies for the ocarina, each composed of five notes. It was difficult for the composer to select five notes that seem like you're creating major and minor sounds.

Ever since then the idea of playing a musical instrument has appeared in different forms in the series, and Wii Music places that idea front and center. I think Miyamoto has been carrying around that idea ever since we made Ocarina of Time.

The playable Ocarina of Time from OoT likely got its design from A Link to the Past after the designers of the game tossed around the idea of a more interactive ocarina. I must say that the ocarina in the N64 classic was a much-improved design over that of A Link to the Past. However, the ability to travel anywhere you desired with the click of a button was lost due to the complexity of the ocarina in Ocarina of Time. The Flute from ALttP also didn't have a tremendous impact on the plot, if any at all. However, the ocarina from Ocarina of Time was the pinnacle, the centerpiece of the entire game and controlled almost every aspect of the gameplay.

Z

ZTB211

Actually, did you know the Flute is called the OCARINA in the A Link To The Past Japanese Version, Triforce Of The Gods.

Flute_ALttP_Artwork.png

This is the Artwork Of The Ocarina in A Link To The Past, the only Minor difference is that there is no Triforce Symbol around the Mouth Piece.

Also!!!! The Minish Cap uses this same utility as in A Link To The Past, as the Minish Cap features The Ocarina Of Wind.

Ocarinaflute.png

Again, Minus The Triforce Symbol around the Mouth Piece.

With The Ocarina Of Time, it does have the ability to Warp you around, but only if you are at Triforce Crest Platform, otherwise, it's useless when it comes down to Warping; And also the Ocarina does not feature a Big Bird Picking you up and taking you to different locations.

Ocarina_of_Time.png

I would definitely have to say, the Ocarina from The Minish Cap, and A Link To The Past, definitely have Relation, but as far as the Ocarina Of Time, meh .. they have some relation. Appearance wise yes, but as far as the Ocarina demonstrated, not so much. However, Majora's Mask demonstrated that is Possible, that are related, because it does features you playing the Ocarina Of Time to make a Bird take you around different locations, when you play the Song Of Soaring to call out The Owl in MM.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Exodus_

When the game was being translated into English they messed up what was called the Ocarina in the Japan version as the flue in the English one.

Anemos

Master of Chaos
I also believe that this was a mistranslation.

An exact translation between languages can be hard. I, not being able to read Japanese, don't believe myself to be an authority on their thought process. However, there are two things that I think Nintendo of America might have done to mess up the translation:

The first possibility is that they took the liberty to make the meaning more clear to people. Before my introduction to Zelda, I had absolutely no idea what an "ocarina" was. I actually was under the impression that it was a type of satanic dancing ritual (see "Mocarena"). Nintendo might have wanted to make the meaning clearer to allow for a better understanding of the masterpiece.

The second possibility is that the actual Japanese original used the word for an obscure wind instrument. The original thought might have been that it was an ocarina, but Nintendo didn't quite understand what an ocarina was.

Either way, the damage is done. Unless...we travel back in time using the song of time, arriving at the dawn of the first day. At that point, we can politely tell them how their translation is wrong.

But wait, that would lead to this.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I think that Nintendo just tried to bring back the concept of Alttp when they were making OOT. thats it!

If you ever saw pictures the beta version of OOT, you will see more resemblancesfor Alttp.
For instance, in the beta versions, link's appearance looks more like from Alttp. Brown hair, the blue shield and always carries it on one arm, brown undergarments and no white tights.

jamezrockz98

Link rockz like me. Yay!!
Nice find! However I doubt it has anything to do with Ocarina Of Time, mainly do to the fact that A Link To The Past was created before Ocarina Of Time and therefore unless Nintendo had OOT planed out before ALttP released I don't see how that could be a reference. However it could be a reference to OOT if your playing the remake on the GBA, as the remake was made after OOT. Blue Ocarinas seem to be a cool thing to have in the Zelda Universe as The Minish Cap had one too under the name of The Ocarina Of Wind.

a link to the past came after oot in the timeline from what we know and alttp is in the child timeline and at the start of mm, link had the ocarina of time so another option is that he might of kept the ocarina with him. just a theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom