• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
What?
Since the release of the 3DS, Nintendo has sold 74 million consoles, 61 million for the 3DS, and 13 million for the Wii U, versus 14 Million and 47 million for the Vita and PS4.
Don't forget, though, that the PS3 was still going strong when the 3DS was released, and even after the Wii U was released, and is still being produced to this day. Your numbers take only the current generation consoles into account, which doesn't account for all the console sales for each respective company since the 3DS's release. It's especially unfair considering it was more than 2 years after the 3DS's release, and 1 year after the Wii U's release, that PlayStation and XBox even entered the eighth generation.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
What?
Since the release of the 3DS, Nintendo has sold 74 million consoles, 61 million for the 3DS, and 13 million for the Wii U, versus 14 Million and 47 million for the Vita and PS4.

But this has nothing to do with the Switch.

Like I said, Switch has garnered way more interest in Nintendo in general, and what they currently are doing for marketing is apparently working for now.
Wrong. The PS3 was still selling copies.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Don't forget, though, that the PS3 was still going strong when the 3DS was released, and even after the Wii U was released, and is still being produced to this day. Your numbers take only the current generation consoles into account, which doesn't account for all the console sales for each respective company since the 3DS's release. It's especially unfair considering it was more than 2 years after the 3DS's release, and 1 year after the Wii U's release, that PlayStation and XBox even entered the eighth generation.
Yes, however, the DSi was still going strong when the 3DS released as well.
Wrong. The PS3 was still selling copies.
Even accounting the PS3, then we must also account for the Wii and DS during that time as well:
Let's do some math now, with that, the PS3 sold 33 million during that timeframe.... Let's throw in PSP as well, which sold around 12 million during that timeframe.

However the Wii sold 17 Million during that time, and DS sold 12 Million.

Now, with that noted and all of that calculated,(adding those amount of sales above to the current gen console total sales)92 million for Sony's PlayStation series, and 103 for Nintendo's consoles between 2011-2016

Jamie

Yes, however, the DSi was still going strong when the 3DS released as well.

Even accounting the PS3, then we must also account for the Wii and DS during that time as well:
Let's do some math now, with that, the PS3 sold 33 million during that timeframe.... Let's throw in PSP as well, which sold around 12 million during that timeframe.

However the Wii sold 17 Million during that time, and DS sold 12 Million.

Now, with that noted and all of that calculated,(adding those amount of sales above to the current gen console total sales)92 million for Sony's PlayStation series, and 103 for Nintendo's consoles between 2011-2016
Alright I'll concede that Nintendo has sold better since the release of the 3DS, but if we count all of the sales since the PS4's release then Sony is doing the best right now, that's why the Switch is coming out mid-generation. It's just unfair to compare total sales of the 3DS to the PS4.

Guys, I think we're derailing.
The hype train is still firmly on the tracks.

pil92gradotx.png

Alright I'll concede that Nintendo has sold better since the release of the 3DS, but if we count all of the sales since the PS4's release then Sony is doing the best right now, that's why the Switch is coming out mid-generation. It's just unfair to compare total sales of the 3DS to the PS4.
The idea of a generation is really being broken as a concept. Sony and MS are breaking this with hardware updates, not new (numbered) consoles.

Actually It's Nintendo who is following the "generations" than anyone else. WiiU 2012 to 2017, a toouch under 5 years. Nintendo has been approx 5 years for consoles since the SNES days. Nintendo started the whole 5 year thing before Sony and MS entered the market.

It's not unfair at all. They are both consoles.

Also we need to realise that now is the first time in a long time were the most powerful console sold the most. In the past it was always the weaker console that sold more.

NES vs Master System - The weaker NES sold more
SNES vs Mega Drive - The weaker SNES sold more
N64 vs PS - Weaker PS sold more
GC vs PS2 vs Xbox - Weaker PS2 sold more
Wii vs PS3 vs Xbox 360- Weaker Wii sold more
Wii U vs PS4 vs XB1 - More powerful PS4 sold more

The last one in the list is really nothing to do with the power of the PS4. It's to do with Nintendo and MS both totally screwing up their console launches. Nintendo could have been on par with the PS4 or maybe slughtly ahead as Sony did nothing special with it's PS4 launch. It was Nintendo's and MS's incompetance (in respect to the console launches), not the PS4's power that set up conditions for people to want the PS4 more.

Last edited:

Jamie

@the8thark it's not unfair to compare the total sales of the 3ds to the total sales of a console that came out 2 years later because they are both consoles? What?

@the8thark it's not unfair to compare the total sales of the 3ds to the total sales of a console that came out 2 years later because they are both consoles? What?
It's not hard. If you want an even better comparison you can compare the first 2 or first 3 years of sales for each console if you want.

People compare the WiiU sales to the PS4 sales all the time. Oh wait you can't because the WiiU came out a year earlier. - that's just silly. You can compare any console to any console. You just need to equate the tineframes for each (like first X years they were on sale or something) and you're all good to go.

Jamie

It's not hard. If you want an even better comparison you can compare the first 2 or first 3 years of sales for each console if you want.

People compare the WiiU sales to the PS4 sales all the time. Oh wait you can't because the WiiU came out a year earlier. - that's just silly. You can compare any console to any console. You just need to equate the tineframes for each (like first X years they were on sale or something) and you're all good to go.
You haven't been paying attention at all. Lozjam was comparing total sales and saying the 3ds had more so Nintendo had more brand power or some nonsense and defended his position multiple times. Perhaps you should read the posts we are responding to before trying to make a point.

You haven't been paying attention at all. Lozjam was comparing total sales and saying the 3ds had more so Nintendo had more brand power or some nonsense and defended his position multiple times. Perhaps you should read the posts we are responding to before trying to make a point.
What he said is correct. Nintendo does have more brand power. It's Nintendo's IPs that push the Nintendo brand a lot of the time though. The 3DS is also huge. it's exactly why the Switch is portyable. Nintendo does not want to enter the power/arms race of stationary consoles to they have moved to making the best portable console. Nintendo can't beat Sony at what Sony is good at so Nintendo sticks with what it is good with the portable market.

You can't compare the PS4 and 3DS from the PS4 launch because most of the sales come in the first year or so (for well received consoles). You have to compare their first number of years since their launch.

@Jamie The facts say that both Sony's gaming division and Nintendo are in profit now. We would assume the Switch will keep Nintendo in profit for this financial year ending March 31. Based on this both Sony and Nintendo have won.

Jamie

What he said is correct. Nintendo does have more brand power. It's Nintendo's IPs that push the Nintendo brand a lot of the time though. The 3DS is also huge. it's exactly why the Switch is portyable. Nintendo does not want to enter the power/arms race of stationary consoles to they have moved to making the best portable console. Nintendo can't beat Sony at what Sony is good at so Nintendo sticks with what it is good with the portable market.

You can't compare the PS4 and 3DS from the PS4 launch because most of the sales come in the first year or so (for well received consoles). You have to compare their first number of years since their launch.

@Jamie The facts say that both Sony's gaming division and Nintendo are in profit now. We would assume the Switch will keep Nintendo in profit for this financial year ending March 31. Based on this both Sony and Nintendo have won.
Over the first 3 years, PS3 sold 50 and 3DS sold 43.

I don't really care which has more brand power at this point. Once again you're ignoring who I'm responding to and the points they made. Lozjam was comparing TOTAL SALES. How many times do I have to say this? What the heck do you think total means to keep comparing time frames? I'm having an argument with Lozjam over his method of reasoning and you're coming in and telling me I'm wrong for completely different reasons. Pay attention.

I'm having an argument with Lozjam over his method of reasoning and you're coming in and telling me I'm wrong for completely different reasons. Pay attention.
I was saying both of you were wrong (in a way). He can compare total sales, but it's not a very good comparison if you don't consider other variables like time frames. That's all.
Anyway moving on, (away from the directly criticising each other thing we are doing), I apologise for taking part in it.

We have this:
http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...oncerts-at-the-tokyo-switch-event-in-january/

The website says this (thanks to google translate)
https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/b6c51be7-c690-11e6-9aaf-063b7ac45a6d.html

The bands are playing at the begin and end of the switch experience event in Japan. This is on the 14th and 15th January. It's mostly media only but some people can win tickets to it. Basically it's a lottery, just like the US and UK switch events are.

This is pretty huge. It's all about rumours for the Switch keynote. It's by the usual suspects, Emily, Laura kate Dale and co. I'll summarise the rumorus here.
The event is on Jan 13 in Japan (just so everyone knows. A lot of people are ignoring this fact).

• There are still surprises instore for the keynote. Things we don't know about.
  • More 3rd party details will be said.
  • Hardware and deeper tech specs like UI and the OS and similar will be talked about.
  • There will be a new IP unveiled at the keynote. (makes sense as each new console has it's own new IP).
  • Marketing suggests BotW will be released on Switch launch day.
  • Battery life rumours conflict with each other. Some say 3 hours max at full power. Some say a lot more. Will have to wait till January 13 to know.
  • Mario X Rabbids RPG is a thing.
  • Rumoured to be 3x third party exclusives - The Mario X Rabbids RPG being one.
  • Virtual Console content will be slowly drip fed to us over time, just like on the Wii and WiiU.
  • Enhanced ports will come. Mario Kart 8 has a lot of new content added, SSB4 has little new content.
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2 might have a teaser trailer ready for the January 13th keynote.
  • Lots of Mother 3 rumours but is sceptical if it will actually happen or not.
  • Monolithsoft's new project is not the XCX remake (another company is handling that). However Monolithsoft's new project is in the same vain as XC and XCX with the same combat style. (I think it's XC3 personally).
  • Nothing from Platinum Games in January.
  • Achievements will come. Are they more MyNintendo achievements or Xbox Live style achievements you can earn in each game? No one knows but the achievement rumour has come up.
  • Released same week in NA and Japan. No word about EU and Australia but I would assume the same week as well.
  • The region free rumour is still there.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
NES vs Master System - The weaker NES sold more
SNES vs Mega Drive - The weaker SNES sold more
N64 vs PS - Weaker PS sold more
GC vs PS2 vs Xbox - Weaker PS2 sold more
Wii vs PS3 vs Xbox 360- Weaker Wii sold more
Wii U vs PS4 vs XB1 - More powerful PS4 sold more

The SNES is powerful that the Genesis is every aspect except processing power. That's why Sega used that in their marketing BLAST-PROCESSING. AVGN went over it well in his console wars video on youtube.

Also, I'm pretty sure PS4 is weaker than the XBox. This could just be another SNES vs Genesis things, though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...e_features_confirmed_and_deconfirmed_for_the/

Bluetooth Confirmed In FCC (Federal Communications Commission) documents, the Switch is referred to as being able to use Bluetooth wireless communications. This is found on page 5 of this document under Radio Specification>Frequency of Operation and Radio Specification>Modulation. This may not mean that the Switch has Bluetooth headphone support, as it may be simply for the controllers.

Temperatures of Operation In addition to the Bluetooth functionality, the Switch has been tested in and confirmed to work in temperatures of 5 degrees Celsius (41 degrees Fahrenheit) to 35 degrees C (95 degrees F). This information was also found on page 5 of the same document.

No 3G or LTE Support On page 6 of the the same document as the first, I have found that the Switch did not undergo tests for 3G and LTE connections, so the rumors and speculation of 3G and LTE models of the Switch seem to have been deconfirmed.

Additional documents about the Switch can be found at this web address. Please tell me anything else you found in these documents! I'm still skimming them, as well.

Edit 1: /u/MakeTheSwitch noted that the Switch can handle 5Ghz WiFi. Thanks!

Edit 2: Page 10 of this document has more information about the Switch's Bluetooth capabilities. You can find it under Section 5: Operation of E.U.T. during Testing>5.2 Configuration and Peripherals. Make of it what you will.

Edit 3: I've looked through all the documents from the FCC that I listed. I've posted everything significant that I found so far that I found. Comment if you find anything that I missed, and I'll add it to the post.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/12/more_switch_rumors_from_laura_kate_dale

• There's a record button on the left Joy-Con.
  • There will be no friend codes, DeNA is helping Nintendo with the networking.
  • The leak from Reddit user 'Genos' is fake.
  • Laura was asked if there was the possibility of Red Dead Redemption 2 or Overwatch coming to the Switch. Regarding Red Dead, she stated that there's almost no way it's going to happen due to Rockstar's relationship with Nintendo. She assures that Overwatch wouldn't be there at launch, and the two stated that it would require a massively overhauled port due to the 'always-online' nature of the title.
  • Don't expect a delay for the Nintendo Switch.
  • Laura was asked about voice-chat, before she was going to answer she asked if she could say anything due to OBE1 releasing a video detailing it out soon. This basically confirmed the fact that it's going to be included, smooth move guys.
  • The system will have Bluetooth, not sure to what extent.
  • The Joy-Cons will be available to be purchased separately at launch date. Docks will be purchasable after 6 months and will be 'cheap'.
  • There won't be a bundle that includes the Pro Controller, they will be purchaseable seperately.
  • The battery will last around 3 hours with everything at maximum.
  • The charging port is USB and will easily and quickly charge the system.
  • Only expect three virtual console Gamecube games at launch, they will be optimized for their original resolutions.
  • At launch there will only be one color of the Switch, and it will be the default grey. However, there's a slight chance that there will be multiple colors after launch.
  • The right Joy-Con has an IR pointer akin to the Wiimote, this will allow touch-screen functionalities while docked.
  • The entry bundle for the switch will have 32GB of onboard storage, Micro SD card support will extend to 128 GB.
  • When asked about Mass Effect Andromeda, she brought up the point that Mass Effect 3 sold horrendously on Wii U and that there are no plans to release the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom