• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Hello forum dwellers. This is Lozjam here, and we are but a week away from the entire Switch blow out event.

Nintendo UK confirmed that it will be live from Tokyo, and translated in English(for all of you French speaking, Spanish speaking, foreign speaking folks, I am afraid that you will not get the same treatment). It will air at 10pm CST, and 4am for the British.

Now this thread is for discussion, predictions, impressions, tummy tickle fights, and anything leading up to the event...

I must say, the format at which they are presenting this is disappointing to me.... Having a translator translate live is not really that great for a livestream. Of course, the information will stand on itself... But I think the overall presentation will be boring.

Japanese events are entirely different than Western based ones. There isn't that much excitement that goes into these.... Which is, disappointing to say the least. I would have at least wanted a pre made direct for western countries.... But in the long run, the presentation itself doesn't matter, merely the information that comes from it.

We will get release dates, games, impressions, press previews, and everything of the sort next week, and this will be so exciting.

If I could make one prediction though..... I think Callie and Marie might make an appearance, and maybe start off the show with of their songs. The venue is perfect for something like that, and that is something that appeals to everyone.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I want to see more games for it, who knows something might catch my fancy. I also want to see them go in depth about how the portable capabilities work. Can we put it to sleep without losing progress or needing to save like a 3DS? That's my biggest question.

If its live i hope things dont go wrong, i also hope the translators dont get left behind or translate something obscure incorrectly. I know translators usually replace one another every so often so their brains dont melt.

Being 4am on 13th is a bit of a bugger but at least i'll wake up and be able to watch it with no issues in a recorded video format.

As for predictions, if its no frills and straight to the point then i expect them to get through a lot of info so here we go;

Full specs- touch screen, battery life, clock speed, memory, net connection, all that stuff.

Online- ive heard rumours that Nintendo wants to get deeper into the e-sports scene and that Overwatch might come to the console which sounds to me like we're gonna have to pay online subscription to a 'Nintendo Network'. I dont want this to be a thing so its something i want mentioned and put to rest.

VC- while i wont be selling my WiiU, and still have my GameCube, im not as fussed as others are about transferring purchases over and being able to DL GC games, but i would like more of a choice of games, the WiiU VC feels lacking with the amount of titles actually available to me, so i want this to be covered.

Price- duh. But i also wonder if they'll announce a small array of add ons in a permium bundle or something. So i want that addressed.

Zelda- being british i NEED to know what is going on with that game. Its a big reason for me to get a Switch but i have a Wii U so i could potentially wait until the next Zelda to get a Switch, unless BoTW Switch has something up its sleeve.

Launch games- A big one, we need to know we're getting day one. This would also be another factor to help me get a Switch early. But if nothing intrigues me then i'd still find myself waiting for Zelda Switch.

12 months later- Launch games are important, but even if the launch line up is stellar i'm still gonna want games 6 months later so i hope they give us a good idea of what we will be seeing through 2017.

As for (sensible) game predictions outside of the many Wii U ports, i would like to see a new F-Zero, a Metroid reboot, Luigi's Mansion 3, Bayonetta 3. I also think Hyrule Warriors will come to the Switch with WiiU and 3ds content plus another season pass, Pokken too, with a bigger roster.

Some not so sensible predictions- Soul Calibur X Zelda (or a Zelda skinned SC), 3D Donkey Kong with the free running of Assassin's Creed, Fire Emblem Warriors, Golden Sun Switch and Kid Icarus Switch.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Metroid Prime did the dual sticks quite amazingly. I played MP and MP2 megin to end. I even beat MP on hard. The last boss there was a nightmare but I beat it finally. That played amazingly on the GC. No other twin stick FPS has played so well. I would say the Zelda style lock on that MP has was the reason why. In any multiplayer FPS lock ons like that would be cheating however.
I tried MP3 with the Wiimote and I was not so good at it. Mind you I didn't practice much with it. Certainly has a higher learning curve than the twin sticks. I would assume when mastered the wiimote would be better. One of the Joycons is rumoured to have an IR pointer on it. Basically it can become a Wiimote of sorts. If true I think that's a great idea. having that functionality but not forcing it on the developers. So the developers can choose which way they want you to paly their games. Also it allows for yet another of the bazillion ways you can play Super Smash Bros for Switch (jokes :) )

I actually didn't know how much I didn't like the Metroid Prime control scheme until I played the remade Wii versions of the game. I think the problem was that the 2nd analog stick on the GCN controller (the C-stick) wasn't really a true analog stick. I think that's one part of the GCN controller that it did poorly (most everything else about the GCN was perfect, it's one of my favorite controllers ever). I liked the lock-on ability in the game, but I didn't like that you had to lock on to play the game. Lock on was a thing because the C-stick was non-conducive to FPSs. It never felt right. On the other hand, the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii was—and is—still the best FPS experience ever. I know people don't consider Metroid Prime as a FPS, but it is: you're in first person, and you shoot stuff.

I still think there is room in the future for point-and-shoot controls on consoles, but it has to be done in such a way that it isn't either-or, like it was with the Wii. A lot of genres didn't translate well to the Wii Remote + Analog attachment, whereas some genres were perfect for them. As long as no one comes up with that sweet spot, however, I think dual analog controllers (traditional controllers) are the way of the future.

Not so much with XB1 but more with PS4. I've had countless people talk to em not sure if you get future games on the Switch or the PS4. They all were legit not sure and undecided. The XB1 was not even ni the equation for any of them. But Switch VS PS4 was the question. So what you say here is totally on topic and I agree.

Interesting. I'm still curious as to how the Scorpio is going to affect the market, but as of right now, I agree with you. The Xbox brand is weak, and rightfully so, since the 360 was one of the worst consoles ever made.

VrSdQTX.jpg

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Kimishima is apparently going to be presenting the Switch event. This will be the very first time we will see him outside of interviews. It's very interesting.

Also, the age rating for the games shown will be E-M, which isn't surprising at all.

Kimishima is apparently going to be presenting the Switch event. This will be the very first time we will see him outside of interviews. It's very interesting.

Also, the age rating for the games shown will be E-M, which isn't surprising at all.

Kimishima is a scary looking guy. He has a serious face the likes of which Nintendo has never seen.

This keynote looks to be just like an Apple Keynote. That is actually a good thing. Sure the Cook Keynotes are not as good as the Jobs ones but they are alright. The Nintendo keynote should be just as good.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I hear many reports that GameStop will only have 10-15 Switches per store......

So I will say this:
Those in NA. If you want a Switch, you had better preorder on Friday now. This absolutely sucks, and it's terrible that Nintendo is playing this game. Otherwise you will have to wait to get the Switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom