Darkest of all Dark Links
- Oct 28, 2012
And since when was this specifically about Zelda?
Oh it was mentioned about how Nintendo could go in a new direction with their games (like Zelda) to get more sales.
In Nintendo's corporate eyes, Zelda doesn't sell much, so it gets less priority. They ignore it cause it doesn't make them much money.
Look back, Zelda sales have been rather low in the 7th gen compared to other games on Nintendo systems. Zelda TP sold 5.8 million and Zelda SS sold 5.2 million. That's not impressive. SSBB sold 11.5 million, Mario Galaxy sold 11.7 million, and Mario Kart sold 34.2 million. Zelda doesn't make most of their money.
OK a few things...
1) Zelda doesn't sell well. But the only games that do sell well with Nintendo are Mario, Pokemon, and Super Smash Bros. If we're talking about just consoles, you can remove Pokemon.
2) You got the Zelda sales wrong. TP sold 8.5m. Skyward Sword sold 3.7m.
3) Even if you had gotten the sales right, those are still above average for the Zelda series, which averages at 4.25m (This is not counting ALBW, remakes, and spinoffs).
4) As it is, TP is the best selling Zelda title by far and when you get the average of the Gen 7 Zeldas, you have 6.1m(consoles). If you look further, you will see that the 7th gen has gotten the most success with Zelda.
Third Gen Average: 5.45m
Fourth Gen Average: 4.61m
Fifth Gen Average: 5.48m
Sixth Gen Average: 4.6m
Seventh Gen Average: 6.1m
5) If you want to go further and add in handhelds, seventh gen still takes 2nd place. The generation that beats it is the one without a handheld.
Third Gen Average: 5.45m (No handhelds)
Fourth Gen Average: 4.22m
Fifth Gen Average: 4.72m
Sixth Gen Average: 2.38m
Seventh Gen Average: 5.06m