• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Kiddy?

He has now idea how to run a company.

Nintendo has been loosing money for the third year in a row. Nintendo stock have been falling over the past couple of years. The Wii U is not selling well at all. Even the 3DS sales are below average. Even their flagship Mario games haven't been selling well. They've made some stupid decisions as of late. The Wii U is a disaster in terms of hardware. Their marketing fails. All their games have becomes rehashes, and generally, they've been doing poorly in every aspect. I used to primarily be a Nintendo gamer, now I've moved on to PC gaming.

Who's fault is it? The person running the company. AKA: Iwata.

Iwata became president in 2000, meaning he oversaw the massive success of the Wii. Just b/c the Wii U is doing bad doesn't mean we should fire him. They just need to rethink their plans and actually come to E3 this year.

I have a big question here. Why is it that Nintendo always get called out for rehashing, but companies like Activision get away scot-free with the COD series? What sense does that make?

COD does not get away with not being called out lol. Have you not seen all the EA trolls commenting on every news of COD?

One series that gets away with it is AC. They've been rehashing since Brotherhood, though I could very well make the argument that they've been downgrading since 1.

Last edited:

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
What a very nice generalization of all Nintendo games. I could do the same thing for COD and AC if I wanted to. Point is, your statement is flawed.

You're obviously a fan of yearly releases, and you're accusing Nintendo's 3-5 year sequel gap as rehashes. Good job.

I agree for the most part. They could've done something innovative that was less powerful than Xbone/Ps4 theoretically, but the Wii U was not the answer.

You really need to stop listening to that ******* Michael Pachter. Guy's been wrong 90% of the time.

I play Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo games all the same. Don't know why you felt the need to exclude a group, unless peer pressure was an issue.

Alright so I see that you're accusing me of praising COD. Hmm. Interesting. Just letting you know I'm not a big fan of COD.

I don't see how my first statement is flawed. Every person is different and every person has different tastes. My taste of games? Third person Shooters, Rockband/Guitar Hero, Stealth games, puzzle games, RPGS, some First Person Shooters, and action/adventure. I also like more "mature" games.

Every person outgrows old childish things right? You probably sucked your thumb as a baby, carried a blanket around as a toddler, played with action figures as a 6 year old right? But you've probably outgrown that right? The same goes for me. I used to be a hardcore Nintendrone a few years back. I used to play Mario and Kirby all the time as a little kid. Now I've outgrown that. I play "mature" games and once in a while these "childish" games.

Who the hell is Micheal Patcher?

And Nintendo keeps releasing rehashes, deal with it. Everyone knows that. Even some Nintendrones, hardcore ones, I know have admitted that Nintendo releases rehashes.

Alright so I see that you're accusing me of praising COD. Hmm. Interesting. Just letting you know I'm not a big fan of COD.

What Sroa Link said.

I don't see how my first statement is flawed. Every person is different and every person has different tastes. My taste of games? Third person Shooters, Rockband/Guitar Hero, Stealth games, puzzle games, RPGS, some First Person Shooters, and action/adventure.

I was referring to your statement regarding how you generalized all Nintendo games into "jumping on mushrooms and betting the crap outta plushie dinosaur-turtle thing". Of course everyone's tastes will change, I wasn't questioning that.

Every person outgrows old childish things right? You probably sucked your thumb as a baby, carried a blanket around as a toddler, played with action figures as a 6 year old right? But you've probably outgrown that right? The same goes for me. I used to be a hardcore Nintendrone a few years back. I used to play Mario and Kirby all the time as a little kid. Now I've outgrown that. I play "mature" games and once in a while these "childish" games.

Please define mature for me.

Who the hell is Micheal Patcher?

Strategist in the video game industry that's been wrong with most of his predictions.

And Nintendo keeps releasing rehashes, deal with it. Everyone knows that. Even some Nintendrones, hardcore ones, I know have admitted that Nintendo releases rehashes.

By your logic, I could just as easily say any series gets rehashed. Rockband and Guitar Hero definitely, Pokemon was until maybe X&Y, Assassin's Creed had to change into a pirate game in order to avoid being a rehash, etc...

Nintendo has always been about innovation. Sometimes the innovation is a failure (Starfox Adventures), but most of the time it's a success. The only game I honestly thought was arguably a rehash was Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I don't think Nintendo are kiddy, no, they just make games designed for all ages. I mean, look at Pixar movies, people of all ages enjoy them and laugh at them cos they're designed for all ages, not just children, so they're not 'kiddy' in the same way children's TV shows like Teletubbies is. So, I wouldn't call Nintendo 'kiddy'.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Like Merc said, Nintendo's games aren't kiddy, just designed for all ages. However... they do, unfortunately, have a kiddy image in the mainstream's eyes. This is due to a multitude of reasons, but I think the best way for it to be fixed is for the Big N to hire a few companies they're close with (and Retro) to make exclusive IP's that cater more to the older audience -- and not with boobs, guns, 'splosions, macho men, etc., but with actual maturity. Something with the sophistication of, say, Metal Gear Solid, a series that's only M-rated because of how heavy-handed it is, and not just with its story.

In all fairness, Metroid is kind of like this, but that's pretty much their only series that isn't whimsical. They could use a few more to have a balance between the two styles.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Nintendo is very kiddy. I have a PC and it's extremely manly. It has blast processing and amazing graphix. If Nintendo stopped and developed for PC they will start making good games. According to stats this will happen by the end of the year. So don't worry guys.

In all fairness, Metroid is kind of like this, but that's pretty much their only series that isn't whimsical. They could use a few more to have a balance between the two styles.

I really think Nintendo is missing an opportunity with the Metroid series, to be honest. So many of their other core franchises (Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, and even Zelda to some extent) just seem to have the image of "made for kids". I don't agree with the image, but it's definitely there.... Not for Metroid though. If Nintendo really decided to go all-out for a Metroid game, pouring tons of resources and marketing into it, I think it would greatly aid Nintendo's current social image. Metroid gives them a chance to go the darker route, mixing in some much more mature themes and grittier atmospheres that could make it truly stick out from all the cute and cuddly games that they already have. We don't need another Other M, which kind of tries and doesn't really make it in a lot of critical areas; we need what Nintendo pours into Mario and Zelda, both from a development and a market standpoint.

Yeah, Metroid doesn't sell as well, I get that. But Fire Emblem didn't sell well at all until Nintendo finally decided to advertise for it, along with the developers really pouring their heart and soul into Awakening to make what is, in my opinion, the best game on the 3DS right now (this is mainly because of my affinity for strategy games). If they did the same for Metroid, they might be surprised how successful it could be.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I really think Nintendo is missing an opportunity with the Metroid series, to be honest. So many of their other core franchises (Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, and even Zelda to some extent) just seem to have the image of "made for kids". I don't agree with the image, but it's definitely there.... Not for Metroid though. If Nintendo really decided to go all-out for a Metroid game, pouring tons of resources and marketing into it, I think it would greatly aid Nintendo's current social image. Metroid gives them a chance to go the darker route, mixing in some much more mature themes and grittier atmospheres that could make it truly stick out from all the cute and cuddly games that they already have. We don't need another Other M, which kind of tries and doesn't really make it in a lot of critical areas; we need what Nintendo pours into Mario and Zelda, both from a development and a market standpoint.

The same could be said about The Legend of Zelda. That series could easily go into territory that would be appeal to fans of franchises like Assassin's Creed and Uncharted. As great as Zelda games are, it seriously needs a new direction.

The same could be said about The Legend of Zelda. That series could easily go into territory that would be appeal to fans of franchises like Assassin's Creed and Uncharted. As great as Zelda games are, it seriously needs a new direction.

The only problem with that is that Zelda has established itself as more of a Mario-esque series, which tries to appeal to all ages instead of one demographic. I do think it could go the way of Assassin's Creed/Uncharted, but the fans really seem to like their Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, both of which are designed with a more light-hearted mood in mind. I personally think that Zelda SHOULD go the TP direction, and I really do hope that WiiU Zelda does that, but it's not a guarantee at all. At least Metroid is already established as a darker, more mature franchise, so it's less of a long shot for it to keep going that direction.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The only problem with that is that Zelda has established itself as more of a Mario-esque series, which tries to appeal to all ages instead of one demographic. I do think it could go the way of Assassin's Creed/Uncharted, but the fans really seem to like their Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, both of which are designed with a more light-hearted mood in mind. I personally think that Zelda SHOULD go the TP direction, and I really do hope that WiiU Zelda does that, but it's not a guarantee at all. At least Metroid is already established as a darker, more mature franchise, so it's less of a long shot for it to keep going that direction.

Yes, but the fans aren't cutting it. I'm not saying that the series needs to go darker, Uncharted is hardly a dark series. It just needs a revision, a change in gameplay and story telling. I can guarantee that if the next Zelda game had a semi-realistic yet colorful and beautiful world, that it would sell better if it offered a more cinematic experience with improved mechanics matching that of the Assassin's Creed series or even the latest Tomb Raider, which has better bow and arrow action than any Zelda game. Nintendo's weakness is their need to focus every one game on some sort of mechanic. What they need to do is revise the series. Action adventure games are quite popular these days and Zelda still seems stuck in their old ways.

Metroid on the other hand won't ever make it unless they find an identity asap. Other M was a failure, and the Prime games just have superior competition due to its first-person nature. They're screwed unless they think of something new.

Metroid on the other hand won't ever make it unless they find an identity asap. Other M was a failure, and the Prime games just have superior competition due to its first-person nature. They're screwed unless they think of something new.

I do have to disagree that Metroid is a series without identity though. People tend to evaluate Other M just through the lens of what it did for the narrative, characters, and overall story, which is quite atrocious to a lot of people. Other M, in the gameplay department, wasn't such a deviation as some people made it out to be. Yes, it was more combat heavy, but the structure of its explorable world and how you progress through it was very reminiscent of Return of Samus, Fusion, and even Corruption to an extent. The "linear-combat based" style is something that's been established for a while, and wasn't exactly a failure in Other M. Sure, it suffered from a nunchuk-less control scheme, but the challenge and variety in combat was still very much there. It's a style that has, however, worn out its welcome for now; a return to the first person perspective, or even class Super Metroid gameplay, is something that should be brought back.

I do also think that the first person perspective of the Prime games did present something much more different and fresh when compared to its other FPS counter-parts. Whereas your typical FPS is based around more combat and a linear path, Prime did a very good job of taking the exploration aspect of the 2D classics into 3D. I've argued in the past that a return to the first Prime games is what the series needs on home console, and I think this could be done very well with a developer outside of Retro. The classic style is also something that has fallen into disfavor in this current day and age of gaming - Zero Mission was one of the best examples of re-capturing Super Metroid in recent history. If the handheld games went back to that, there's an automatic winner for handheld Metroid.

I guess my point is that Metroid just needs more attention and effort in order for it to become Nintendo's "mature" series. I agree with you 100% that Zelda needs a new direction, as Skyward Sword and what it did for the series proves, but.....I've just kind of lost hope that Nintendo is going to do that. I can't help but think that SS was the outline of what's to come. I could be wrong, but I was also almost completely convinced that SS was going to follow in TP's steps because of the success and reception of TP. Zelda has just become too weird and change-happy for me to have full confidence in it.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I do have to disagree that Metroid is a series without identity though. People tend to evaluate Other M just through the lens of what it did for the narrative, characters, and overall story, which is quite atrocious to a lot of people. Other M, in the gameplay department, wasn't such a deviation as some people made it out to be. Yes, it was more combat heavy, but the structure of its explorable world and how you progress through it was very reminiscent of Return of Samus, Fusion, and even Corruption to an extent. The "linear-combat based" style is something that's been established for a while, and wasn't exactly a failure in Other M. Sure, it suffered from a nunchuk-less control scheme, but the challenge and variety in combat was still very much there. It's a style that has, however, worn out its welcome for now; a return to the first person perspective, or even class Super Metroid gameplay, is something that should be brought back.

I do also think that the first person perspective of the Prime games did present something much more different and fresh when compared to its other FPS counter-parts. Whereas your typical FPS is based around more combat and a linear path, Prime did a very good job of taking the exploration aspect of the 2D classics into 3D. I've argued in the past that a return to the first Prime games is what the series needs on home console, and I think this could be done very well with a developer outside of Retro. The classic style is also something that has fallen into disfavor in this current day and age of gaming - Zero Mission was one of the best examples of re-capturing Super Metroid in recent history. If the handheld games went back to that, there's an automatic winner for handheld Metroid.

I guess my point is that Metroid just needs more attention and effort in order for it to become Nintendo's "mature" series. I agree with you 100% that Zelda needs a new direction, as Skyward Sword and what it did for the series proves, but.....I've just kind of lost hope that Nintendo is going to do that. I can't help but think that SS was the outline of what's to come. I could be wrong, but I was also almost completely convinced that SS was going to follow in TP's steps because of the success and reception of TP. Zelda has just become too weird and change-happy for me to have full confidence in it.

I agree, like I said, they have a lot of thinking to do with the Metroid series. I just don't think Prime will cut it. The game can be the best thing ever, but what good is trying to be "mature" and darker if it won't draw any attention? They need a new approach and find their sweet spot. As great as the Prime games were, they still didn't feel like what a Metroid game should be in 3D and are quite obviously not too popular in the sales department.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nintendo knows what generates Zelda sales. They just typically choose to ignore it, for better or worse, in favor of what they want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom