• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Misspellings and mispronunciations that annoy you

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

Alita the Pun

Dmitri

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Alright. It didn't have to come to this. Now you two get to know what we Americans have been putting up with for the past SIX MONTHS!!!

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
My mom all of a sudden started to say 'go get on line' out of nowhere like two years ago and it drives me crazy.

Just call it a queue. It's what we do in Britain and it avoids this kind of annoying scenario.#

Seeing as there is Brit bashing going on here, I'm just gonna do a little thing called take a trip down Americans talk like idiots lane* :)

1. Herb is not pronounced erb. I don't care. You're wrong. It has an H in it. ****ing pronounce it. You're not French and you're certainly not Cockney.
  2. Zee??? No. It is zed. Although weirdly, I call this website Zee-Dee, not Zed-Dee, but mainly because Zed-Dee sounds clumsy and awkward.
  3. Apricot is pronounced ay-pricot, not ah-pricot. But disclaimer, I realise this is one of the ones that is actually pronounced differently across the pond so fair dos. What bugs me is when Brits say it the other way. STOP THAT.
  4. Vitamins. It is clearly pronounced vit-amins not ****ing vite-amins. Do you call us Brytish people? No. You call us British. Because that, my friends, is how it is ****ing pronounced. Do you call them Skytles? No, because they are Skittles. Do you call a ***** a bytch? No. Of course you don't.
  5. Iraq and Iran. It is not eye-rack and eye-ran. If you ever met anyone from either of these countries they would tell you. Do you call it eye-migration? No. Eye-rigation? No. Eye-mage? No. So how in the hell did you manage to **** up those country names so badly?
  6. Aluminium. It is a Latin word. Like many elements with Latin names, it ends in ium. So, you say al-oo-min-i-um. I feel sorry that you had so much trouble pronouncing it that you also had to **** with the spelling just so you can lie to yourselves that you say it right.
*Dear Americans, I was just joking, you don't talk like idiots, you've just been extremely misled. **
** I was just joking, please don't drag us into yet another war.***
*** Please don't punish us by voting for Trump. I'm sorry for any offence.****
**** Woo bald eagles and all that.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I really only get annoyed when people who have presented themselves as someone who knows or wants to get to know me misspells my name. I even go out of my way when I introduce myself to say "It's Sarah with an h", plus it's on my business cards, name tag, personal documents. I wouldn't dare do that to any of my clients, so it's annoying when family members, doctors, etc do it to me.

Feverish

Source of stink
Just call it a queue. It's what we do in Britain and it avoids this kind of annoying scenario.#

Seeing as there is Brit bashing going on here, I'm just gonna do a little thing called take a trip down Americans talk like idiots lane* :)

1. Herb is not pronounced erb. I don't care. You're wrong. It has an H in it. ****ing pronounce it. You're not French and you're certainly not Cockney.
  2. Zee??? No. It is zed. Although weirdly, I call this website Zee-Dee, not Zed-Dee, but mainly because Zed-Dee sounds clumsy and awkward.
  3. Apricot is pronounced ay-pricot, not ah-pricot. But disclaimer, I realise this is one of the ones that is actually pronounced differently across the pond so fair dos. What bugs me is when Brits say it the other way. STOP THAT.
  4. Vitamins. It is clearly pronounced vit-amins not ****ing vite-amins. Do you call us Brytish people? No. You call us British. Because that, my friends, is how it is ****ing pronounced. Do you call them Skytles? No, because they are Skittles. Do you call a ***** a bytch? No. Of course you don't.
  5. Iraq and Iran. It is not eye-rack and eye-ran. If you ever met anyone from either of these countries they would tell you. Do you call it eye-migration? No. Eye-rigation? No. Eye-mage? No. So how in the hell did you manage to **** up those country names so badly?
  6. Aluminium. It is a Latin word. Like many elements with Latin names, it ends in ium. So, you say al-oo-min-i-um. I feel sorry that you had so much trouble pronouncing it that you also had to **** with the spelling just so you can lie to yourselves that you say it right.
*Dear Americans, I was just joking, you don't talk like idiots, you've just been extremely misled. **
** I was just joking, please don't drag us into yet another war.***
*** Please don't punish us by voting for Trump. I'm sorry for any offence.****
**** Woo bald eagles and all that.
Vitamins is vite ah mins like vital vite ahl

Lanky Kong

borf
English is so stupidly structured that arguing about mispronunciation always goes nowhere. For example, Rough, Through, and Plough all pronounce the "ough" sound differently.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I really only get annoyed when people who have presented themselves as someone who knows or wants to get to know me misspells my name. I even go out of my way when I introduce myself to say "It's Sarah with an h", plus it's on my business cards, name tag, personal documents. I wouldn't dare do that to any of my clients, so it's annoying when family members, doctors, etc do it to me.
that is how I spell Sarah anyway sooooo.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom