• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Misspellings and mispronunciations that annoy you

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Inspired by the tangent I went off into in the thread discussing words that gross you out, I decided to make one for the words that, when they're spelt or pronounced wrong, really annoy you.

I want to first of all say that yes, grammar nazi's are annoying af and this isn't an English test, so don't worry about it, but at the same time I believe everybody has at least one thing like this that bugs them and this is the place to let your inner grammar nazi out.

I suppose that we can include differences between your version of a language (for example if there's a word which is spelt differently in American and British English) but only if you're not totally rude about it because of course those aren't wrong, however they can be annoying to read when it goes against the grain of what you know. (I'm aware even by writing the word 'spelt' instead of 'spelled' some people may very well be angry already).

Also btw I don't think this has to be like a super serious lets sit down and get angry because someone doesn't like the way you say something thing. This is nothing personal it's just a place to get a bit ranty and chill ok.

Now, some of these I said in the other thread but if they really annoy me I'm gonna include them again.

PRONUNCIATIONS:

• Westminster. I don't know why, but growing up in London, a lot of not even just tourists but a lot of people in general say Westmin-i-ster instead of Westminster. There is no second 'I' in Westminster. I don't know why people have so much trouble pronouncing 'minster' by itself and have to add an extra syllable. The fact they mention Westminster on the news everyday so you literally hear it pronounced correctly thousands of times, why can't people get it right? :ananger:
  • Submarine. I remember the days where I was unaware that people can't say this word properly, but then in primary school we used to sing 'Yellow Submarine' by the Beatles and of course a lot of the people would sing 'SUMbarine' idk why. I mean I'm sure 90% of my primary school peers were not dyslexic just saying.
SPELLINGS/GRAMMAR:

• Your/you're Did people never watch Friends? "Y O U R means YOUR, Y O U APOSTROPHE R E MEANS YOU ARE!!!" idk if people slept through like year 1 literacy lessons but I'm p sure we were all at least taught the basics of what an apostrophe is at some point
  • To/too. The easiest way to remember which one to use is that 'too' has too many o's so you'd use it in the context of 'too many' too. SEE. TOO. It's not hard guys.
  • Definitely/defiantly. I've Grammar Gestapoed people for this one and they're like 'but spellcheck says defiantly is right'. Yes because defiantly is a word. IT JUST ISN'T THE RIGHT ONE.
  • Their/they're/there Same thing as the you/you're one except I get that there/their is more confusing but only if you were taught to read and write by a monkey

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I suppose that we can include differences between your version of a language (for example if there's a word which is spelt differently in American and British English) but only if you're not totally rude about it because of course those aren't wrong,

Well your not quite right they're. American spellings of some words are defiantly wrong, I don't mind them to much though so I don't make a big deal about it.

One thing I hate to hear is the disgusting perversion: 'Writ'. You writ that? NO. You wrote it.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Well your not quite right they're. American spellings of some words are defiantly wrong, I don't mind them to much though so I don't make a big deal about it.

One thing I hate to hear is the disgusting perversion: 'Writ'. You writ that? NO. You wrote it.

Ok so a tear of blood just came out reading that
I am guilty of saying 'writ' sometimes but only when I'm not thinking about it. I used to say it when I was a kid cos everyone used to say it but my mum would rage at me so I learnt to not talk that way

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
To add onto your post: It's/Its. It's the exact problem as you're/your. One indicates possession ("The bird lost its feathers,") while the other is a contraction of either 'it has,' or 'it is.' ("It's a nice day!"). And to add a tangent of my own: comma splices. Or, when, sentences look, something, like this. It makes my skin crawl, every time. Granted, I don't think many folks had a professor in college who was such a stickler for comma splices that for every three you made, he would drop your score by a letter grade.

As a Pittsburgh native, I can confirm that "Pittsburghese" (or Pittsburgh English) is an awful dialect and I can't count the number of times I've face palmed over someone pronouncing or saying words like "yinz," "nebby" or "rilly."

Writ is evil and whomever came up with it needs punched in the face. Its awful cousin (and one of my pet peeves that really gets under my skin) is "drunk," but only when it's used to describe when drinking something. No, you did not 'drunk' some tea earlier, you DRANK some tea earlier.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I don't know how "wrong" this is, since it's much more common than a simple mispronunciation, and is really a matter of dialect, but something that really bugs me is intrusive letters. This is where a letter is pronounced at the end of a word that isn't there. It's different than other spelling and pronunciation differences between different regions because it's, from my understanding, technically incorrect in all regions anyway despite being a very common one in dialect anyway (typical case with dialects). The most commonly intruded letter is "r" and it's most common in accents in the UK. Particularly in England and Wales. Though I'm sure our friends here from that region could put more detail in it. You'd have words like "idea" or "saw" pronounced like "idear" and "sawr". A less common intrusive letter is "l", which happens in the US and Canada, (though far less frequently than the UK's intrusive r) which the narrator of the Discovery show "How It's Made" frequently uses. He'd pronounce the word "saw" with an intrusive l, pronouncing it like "sawl".

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Blech. Hate that word, irony is i am learning some latin i can say it and write it pretty good yet i can't say words like Worcester there are others i say them how i see them........ Yeeeeeeea like detritus, yolk, monk and several others.

Djinn

and Tonic
When the word No mutates into "Naaaaoough" They just sort of puke a few extra vowel sounds in there that seem like they take a lot more effort to do.

and the Affect/Effect thing was not previously mentioned. A lot of people seem to just not ever get that one right at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom