• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Misspellings and mispronunciations that annoy you

Defiantly when they actually mean definitely just blows my mind. How did that even come about? Completely different words that aren't even similar in definition..

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I get so annoyed when people call Ciela from Phantom Hourglass Ceilia or Ceila. I started noticing this after I actually met someone in real life named Ciela. It's such a beautiful name, and it's so sad when people get it wrong, especially considering the prominence of that misspelling. It's actually based on the Spanish word for sky or heavens... isn't that gorgeous?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Just remembered one in the spirit of Christmas inevitably coming now: when people say Deers/reindeers. It's deer and reindeer. Why is plural so hard to understand? :ananger:

I'm weirded out by how the triforce in Triforce Heroes is apparently two words. Tri Force Heroes? Really? Is that really the official name, or why are people saying it like that? It's always been one word as far as I remember.

Is that a regional thing (US vs. UK), or where does that come from anyway? I find myself saying Zee when I used to say Zed, and have been wondering why. My pronounciation of English words slowly became more American over the years (I say stupid when I used to say stjupid), though I'm not sure if the Zee/Zed thing is even due to that.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Is that a regional thing (US vs. UK), or where does that come from anyway? I find myself saying Zee when I used to say Zed, and have been wondering why. My pronounciation of English words slowly became more American over the years (I say stupid when I used to say stjupid), though I'm not sure if the Zee/Zed thing is even due to that.
Yeah its regional, I know that the UK, Australia and New Zealand all use "zed" but I'm not sure about Canada.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Yeah its regional, I know that the UK, Australia and New Zealand all use "zed" but I'm not sure about Canada.
No it's not that uncommon in Canada either. But, it's not as common as the others though because Canada is bit blended between UK and US culture and spellings.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I'm weirded out by how the triforce in Triforce Heroes is apparently two words. Tri Force Heroes? Really? Is that really the official name, or why are people saying it like that? It's always been one word as far as I remember.
It is rather annoying to see "Tri Force" split up like that, though that's the way it seems to be stylised in the logo. It can most likely be assumed to be a play on words. I'd guess that three Links would make for a tri force of heroes (an organised group of personnel times three) as opposed to the object "triforce", but since we all know Link uses the triforce, and is a hero... well, you see what I'm getting at. Hopefully.

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
The French also pronounce the letter z as "zed." Canadians say both "zee" or "zed," but it varies from person to person.

Speaking of letter pronunciation, the letter w in the English langauge makes me furious. It's pronounced as a "double-u," but when it's either written or typed, it's stylized as a "double-v." The French have it right when it comes pronouncing it -- it's pronounced as "du-blah-vey," or with a double v sound.

For misspellings; Chez. I dislike all misspelling but this one just really gets on my nerves for some reasons.

I hate pretty much every mispronunciation especially when the word is meme or a German word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom