• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Misspellings and mispronunciations that annoy you

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
It irks me when people use "me" as a substitute for "my". For example "I'm going to me mate's place" vs "I'm going to my mate's place". My dad does this all the time and although I think it is pretty silly to get annoyed over these things it still really annoys me.

Sadia

Have a Punderful Day!
Islam becomes Izlam. Muslim becomes Muzlim... I don't understand. It's spelled with an S for a reason. Why does this happen???

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Ah.... there's a case of the intrusive r issue that I mentioned before that I forgot about. One that really, really irritates me that actually is very common in the US. I am uncertain how much this particular one shows up elsewhere. But the particular one I am referring to now is adding an "r" sound in the middle when pronouncing the word "wash" with sometimes changing pronouncing an "o" in place of the long "a". Giving you one of two irritating mispronunciations/dialect/whatevers of the word: "worsh" or "warsh". I've heard it a lot and it's actually pretty common where I am.

And one other intrusive letter pronunciation. This time adding an "h" sound to the end. And another I see in the US. And this case is pronouncing the word "height" as "heighth." Which seems to be more of an accidental, but common, slip of the tongue since it is very commonly spoken in the same sentence as the word "width."

Forced apostrophes in verbs and plural forms of nouns: Delivery's, hurt's, surgery's, kid's, dog's, week's, bakery's.

"Man, I have to make so many delivery's at work today. My back hurt's so badly from all that lifting that I think I'm going to need a couple of back surgery's before I can lift again. My kid's and my dog's are going to have to go a few week's without me to play with. Haha. Welp, I'm off to deliver this shipment to the rest of the bakery's in the area."

The above passage reads as:

"Man, I have to make so many delivery is at work today. My back hurt is so badly from all that lifting that I think I'm going to need a couple of back surgery is before I can lift again. My kid is and my dog is are going to have to go a few week is without me to play with. Haha. Welp, I'm off to deliver this shipment to the rest of the bakery is in the area."

The passage should read:

"Man, I have to make so many deliveries at work today. My back hurts so badly from all that lifting that I think I'm going to need a couple of back surgeries before I can lift again. My kids and my dogs are going to have to go a few weeks without me to play with. Haha. Welp. I'm off to deliver this shipment to the rest of the bakeries in the area."

For words such as "bakery," the general rule is to drop the "-y" and add "-ies." Proper names and nouns such as 'Thornberry' are exempt from this rule, in which case "Thornberrys" is the correct form. Otherwise, just add an "s" to words to make them plural, though there are irregular plural forms, such as ox > oxen, deer > deer, etc. etc.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
When people say it's when they should say its.

And when people neglect to add punctuation at the end of their sentences.

Also when people are typing so fast that they butcher their words when writing. Like when people write "uyo" for you, "hte" instead of the, etc. Especially irritates me on forums like this where there is red underlining on misspelled words.

Not necessarily a mispronunciation as much as an accent, but people from the UK or Australia saying the word "no". Instead of just "no" it's something more closely resembling "nawee"....hard to describe over text but the final sound is definitely an "e" sound. Bugs me for some reason.

Reactions: Dio

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Not necessarily a mispronunciation as much as an accent, but people from the UK or Australia saying the word "no". Instead of just "no" it's something more closely resembling "nawee"....hard to describe over text but the final sound is definitely an "e" sound. Bugs me for some reason.
Ugh Ikr I always mocked @Beauts for doing this 'naweer'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom