• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metroid Prime Federation Force

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
Also, the Mario Spinoffs actually use Mario characters! They use Mario aesthetics! They use Mario items! They actually resemble Mario, and they follow the ideals Miyamoto set out for Mario. Metroid Federations does none of these things. There aren't Metroid Characters, aesthetics, items(besides missiles), and they don't follow any of the ideals that Metroid sought for.

This just about sums it up why our Metroid fans are so upset.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Back in the day people complained MM was not a Zelda game. For all the obvious reasons. The comparison between it and Federation Force is valid. Either Enough people will buy Federation Force or it'll flop. That simple. I just hope all this prejudging a incomplete game doesn't prevent people from having an open mind when the game is actually released.
No. Back in the day people complained that MM was just an early, and rushed cash grab. This is most similar to the flack Super Mario Galaxy 2 got early on, they thought it was way too soon.
I never once heard people complain that "MM was not a Zelda game". They just thought it was a rushed product.
Let me still spell out the difference though. MM still had Zelda mechanics and still played like a Zelda game! In MM, you still swung swords, you still had classic Zelda items, you still completed Puzzles, you still explored dungeons, you still played as Link, you still played an instrument, you still collected pieces of heart, you still defeated bosses. It is a Zelda game. Metroid Prime Federations is not a Metroid Prime game, nor even a Metroid game! From the Metroid Prime series, you don't solve puzzles, you don't use different visors to see where you are going and solve puzzles, you don't switch between first and third person perspective, you don't deal with phazon, you don't explore, you don't see the meticulous attention if detail and graphical fidelity all three games have seen(for example, your visor could get covered in fog, in which you can barely see Samus's face). From the Metroid series in general, there isn't exploration, there isn't energy tanks, there aren't true upgrades in general that you have to earn by not only finding it; but figuring out how to get it, there aren't any Metroid items(for example. Apparently they don't care about the morph ball, which has appeared in EVERY SINGLE METROID GAME), there isn't isolation, there isn't Samus, there isn't Ridley, there is no Metroidvania gameplay, and there isn't even proper beam upgrades.....
So, to sum up. People never thought MM wasn't a Zelda game, they just thought it was a rushed product with limited gameplay(because there were only 4 dungeons). And Federation Force is not a metroid game by any sense of the word, and it is a huge disgrace to compare it to MM.

No. Back in the day people complained that MM was just an early, and rushed cash grab. This is most similar to the flack Super Mario Galaxy 2 got early on, they thought it was way too soon.
I never once heard people complain that "MM was not a Zelda game". They just thought it was a rushed product.
Let me still spell out the difference though. MM still had Zelda mechanics and still played like a Zelda game! In MM, you still swung swords, you still had classic Zelda items, you still completed Puzzles, you still explored dungeons, you still played as Link, you still played an instrument, you still collected pieces of heart, you still defeated bosses. It is a Zelda game. Metroid Prime Federations is not a Metroid Prime game, nor even a Metroid game! From the Metroid Prime series, you don't solve puzzles, you don't use different visors to see where you are going and solve puzzles, you don't switch between first and third person perspective, you don't deal with phazon, you don't explore, you don't see the meticulous attention if detail and graphical fidelity all three games have seen(for example, your visor could get covered in fog, in which you can barely see Samus's face). From the Metroid series in general, there isn't exploration, there isn't energy tanks, there aren't true upgrades in general that you have to earn by not only finding it; but figuring out how to get it, there aren't any Metroid items(for example. Apparently they don't care about the morph ball, which has appeared in EVERY SINGLE METROID GAME), there isn't isolation, there isn't Samus, there isn't Ridley, there is no Metroidvania gameplay, and there isn't even proper beam upgrades.....
So, to sum up. People never thought MM wasn't a Zelda game, they just thought it was a rushed product with limited gameplay(because there were only 4 dungeons). And Federation Force is not a metroid game by any sense of the word, and it is a huge disgrace to compare it to MM.

You are wrong actually. Just cause you've never heard people complain MM was not enough of a Zelda game doesn't mean it didn't happen. And it did happen. But as we know MM was not a rushed product. It was a masterpiece. it was just nothing like OOT. Back in the N64 days people could not handle this, so the sales were down. But now people finally understand how good MM really is so the 3DS relame's sales were rather good actually.

People complained about SMG2 because they thought it was more of an expansion pack or add on to SMG and not worthy of being a new game at a new game price. When SMG2 came out didn't bother anyone. It was the fact that at the last minute Nintendo decided there was too much content for an add on pack so they made it a new game. I can agree with the crowd here to a point. SMG2 does feel a lot like a expansion pack and less like it's own game. But today no one cares as both games are amazing and now we can appreciate.

It seems you fail to understand how radically different MM is to OOT and the other Zelda games. I'll spell it out to you.
  • 3 day cycle
  • The game's emphasis was on the out of dungeon activities. Most of the game was played outside of the 4 dungeons. Very different to the previous Zelda games.
  • Only 4 dungeons, a very small number (excluding all the side dungeon like areas in MM).
  • No master sword like weapon.
  • You are not saving Zelda.
  • All the masks
  • etc etc
All of this turned people off MM back in the day. Nothing at all to do with the game being rushed. People just didn't like a Zelda game at the time that strayed too far from what OOT was.

For federation force, there will be metroids in it. The game is more than just blast ball. It still has running and shooting in it like every other Metroid game. It still is a room based game, like almost every other metroid game is. etc etc. Also you are going on about an unfinished game. You have no idea how good the finished game will be. No one does. Just wait and see.

Federation Force is totally different to it's previous games. Just like MM was different to the other Zelda games. Yes I am making that comparison again because it is a valid one. Federation Force will just be a very different game. I do think people like you will keep hating on Federation Force so much that it will catch on. And it's sales will suffer because to many people pre-judged the game before they played it and before the game was even finished being developed.

This comic is about Zelda fans, but it equally applies to Metroid fans as well.

905623_10152856594631447_6173533911113538687_o.jpg

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
You are wrong actually. Just cause you've never heard people complain MM was not enough of a Zelda game doesn't mean it didn't happen. And it did happen. But as we know MM was not a rushed product. It was a masterpiece. it was just nothing like OOT. Back in the N64 days people could not handle this, so the sales were down. But now people finally understand how good MM really is so the 3DS relame's sales were rather good actually.

People complained about SMG2 because they thought it was more of an expansion pack or add on to SMG and not worthy of being a new game at a new game price. When SMG2 came out didn't bother anyone. It was the fact that at the last minute Nintendo decided there was too much content for an add on pack so they made it a new game. I can agree with the crowd here to a point. SMG2 does feel a lot like a expansion pack and less like it's own game. But today no one cares as both games are amazing and now we can appreciate.

It seems you fail to understand how radically different MM is to OOT and the other Zelda games. I'll spell it out to you.
  • 3 day cycle
  • The game's emphasis was on the out of dungeon activities. Most of the game was played outside of the 4 dungeons. Very different to the previous Zelda games.
  • Only 4 dungeons, a very small number (excluding all the side dungeon like areas in MM).
  • No master sword like weapon.
  • You are not saving Zelda.
  • All the masks
  • etc etc
Most of those have already been done by Link's Awakening. I myself don't know anyone who complained that MM wasn't a Zelda game.
All of this turned people off MM back in the day. Nothing at all to do with the game being rushed. People just didn't like a Zelda game at the time that strayed too far from what OOT was.
No they didn't. They thought it was rushed and short.
Let's take a blast to the past.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/879/t977-zelda-2-majoras-mask-sucks/
Read these... Go on! People mostly complained about the amount of temples, and the short length of the main game. There are a few stragglers and an early version of what we call a "troll" today, but my points still hold up. You are grasping at straws here.
For federation force, there will be metroids in it. The game is more than just blast ball. It still has running and shooting in it like every other Metroid game. It still is a room based game, like almost every other metroid game is. etc etc. Also you are going on about an unfinished game. You have no idea how good the finished game will be. No one does. Just wait and see.
If you think that "running and shooting" is what defines a Metroid game, you haven't played a Metroid game and get out of here. I hate almost all FPS for a reason. Metroid is NOT a run of the mill FPS where all you do is run and shoot. Metroid Prime is a first person adventure game. You solve puzzles, you explore, and you piece together the mystery of the story. The shooting is just there for extra challenge.
Federation Force is totally different to it's previous games. Just like MM was different to the other Zelda games. Yes I am making that comparison again because it is a valid one. Federation Force will just be a very different game. I do think people like you will keep hating on Federation Force so much that it will catch on. And it's sales will suffer because to many people pre-judged the game before they played it and before the game was even finished being developed.
You are using circular reasoning upon a fallacy. MM still has ALL the mechanics of Zelda and still plays like a Zelda game. Metroid Federation doesn't play like a Zelda game. Us being vocal will make the developers either change it entirely, or maybe change the name or publicity.
The game is going to have bad sales anyway because it is a N3DS exclusive for a spinoff of a niche series.
Even Nintendo recognizes now that it isn't a Metroid game and it was a horrible move on their part.
[quote+"Scott Moffit]
“We love our fans. They’re the most passionate, vocal group of fans I’ve ever seen, and we listen carefully to their opinions,” Moffitt said. “We respect their opinions and their right to share those opinions with us. We try to make the best decisions we can with them in mind, but also with our content in mind, with our franchises in mind. A lot goes into the decision of which games to produce and which games not to produce. I don’t pretend to know how all those decisions are made, but we certainly appreciate our fans’ enthusiasm for the Metroid franchise. It’s a franchise I love as well, and I hope they will find other games in the 14 we’ve announced at this E3 that they can play in the meantime while we all wait for the game we’d like to come out in the Metroid franchise.
[/quote]
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/2...plaints-about-metroid-prime-federation-force/
This comic is about Zelda fans, but it equally applies to Metroid fans as well.

905623_10152856594631447_6173533911113538687_o.jpg
Ummmm.... That isn't true one bit... For example, on the Zelda end, ALBW was very much acclaimed by most fans, TP was very critically acclaimed, Link's Awakening DX, OoT3D, were received well too.
Also for Metroid. WHAT IS KNOWN TO BE THE BEST METROID GAME IS EXACTLY THAT!!!!!
Super Metroid was a revisit of the first game's world that is expanded and with new mechanics.
Seriously, quit talking since you clearly know nothing of the Metroid series.

Most of those have already been done by Link's Awakening. I myself don't know anyone who complained that MM wasn't a Zelda game.
You just quoted some people who thought MM was not a traditional Zelda game.

No they didn't. They thought it was rushed and short.
Let's take a blast to the past.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/879/t977-zelda-2-majoras-mask-sucks/
Read these... Go on! People mostly complained about the amount of temples, and the short length of the main game. There are a few stragglers and an early version of what we call a "troll" today, but my points still hold up. You are grasping at straws here.
What you quoted has nothing to do with MM being rushed. None of them say MM was rushed. They say the main game being short and not enough temples, ie the game is not Zelda enough. To them a Zelda game should have a longer main game and more temples. And that's exactly what I was saying before. All of what made MM great, less temples and more side quest stuff is what people didn't like and they thought this made MM not enough of a Zelda liek game in their eyes.

If you think that "running and shooting" is what defines a Metroid game, you haven't played a Metroid game and get out of here. I hate almost all FPS for a reason. Metroid is NOT a run of the mill FPS where all you do is run and shoot. Metroid Prime is a first person adventure game. You solve puzzles, you explore, and you piece together the mystery of the story. The shooting is just there for extra challenge.
Metroid is all about running and shooting things while getting upgrades to kep you kill things better, live longer or be able to progress further in the game. The NES and SNES Metroid games were exactly like this. The Gamecube and Wii metroid games are just the same, only now in 3D. The Metroid Prime games is a first person shooter, like Quake or Doom. The only difference is they gave Metroid a great story and powerups to give you a reason to kill all the Metroids and other enemies.

You are using circular reasoning upon a fallacy. MM still has ALL the mechanics of Zelda and still plays like a Zelda game. Metroid Federation doesn't play like a Zelda game. Us being vocal will make the developers either change it entirely, or maybe change the name or publicity.
There are many ways where MM doesn't play like the average Zelda game. I don't know of any other Zelda games that give you a time linit to beat a dungeon in. MM does that. I always felt like I was rushed in the showhead dungeon (or whatever it's called) because of the 3 day cycle. All the transformation masks are different too. Makes the game play totally different to other Zelda games. But the masks was not why people didn't like the game. People didn't like it cause MM was not like the traditional Zelda game. And I'm sure you meant FF does not play like a Metroid game. And it doesn't you're right. Not it's not totally different to what a Metroid game is. FF is as different to other Metroid games as MM was to other Legend of Zelda games.

The game is going to have bad sales anyway because it is a N3DS exclusive for a spinoff of a niche series.
According to Nintendo it's not a N3DS exclusive.

qZ1vPW1.jpg

Compare this to Xemoblade which is a N3DS exclusive

ZRaI5mK.jpg

Scott Moffit does not speak for all of Nintendo. And I believe he doesn't get that FF is tailored more to the Japanese market then the westerm market. The only mistake Nintendo did was show it at E3. It should have just been shown on a random Nintendo Direct. Most of the E3 viewers are western people who don't really understand why a game that is more designed for Japanese audiences was shown there. And I actually agree with the crowd here. I am not against FF existing. I am against how and where Nintendo first showed it off. E3 was not the place for FF to be shown off.

Ummmm.... That isn't true one bit... For example, on the Zelda end, ALBW was very much acclaimed by most fans, TP was very critically acclaimed, Link's Awakening DX, OoT3D, were received well too.
That comic makes very good sense. Zelda fans are like that. Zelda 2, MM, WWGC are prime examples of this. But eventually for MM and WW people saw the good in them and now they are liked by most of the Zelda fan base. Zelda 2 on the other hand, I think that one will be hated for ever by most people. I like Zelda 2 but I am clearly in the minority. I understand why people hated Zelda 2. It was a great game, just the wrong direction to take the Zelda IP in. I'm glad Zelda 3 SNES brought Zelda back to its roots.

Also for Metroid. WHAT IS KNOWN TO BE THE BEST METROID GAME IS EXACTLY THAT!!!!!
Super Metroid was a revisit of the first game's world that is expanded and with new mechanics.
One could argue Metroid Prime 1 was the best Metroid game ever. Well it's a coin flip between that and Super Metroid. Both are very good games and different people will likeone or the other better. It depends who you speak to no the day. I personally like both equally well. Yes Super Metroid was an expanded reboot of sorts. Just like Star Fox 64 was an expanded reboot of Star Fox.

Seriously, quit talking since you clearly know nothing of the Metroid series.
Please don't send petty insults my way. I didn't personally have a go at you. So it would be nice if you didn't have a go at me personally thanks.

This article nicely sums up my thoughts about Metroid Prime: Federation Force: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-us-2d-metroid-and-other-sequels-we-want.aspx

It's a shame that Nintendo isn't okay with polishing an already existing concept. Metroid Fusion wasn't revolutionary for the franchise, but it got people excited for a return to Metroid's classic roots. The same could be said about other M.I.A. Nintendo franchises. If the next F-Zero was basically GX in HD and with online play, I'm sure most fans would be satisfied.

It seems that Reggie has come forth to admit the negative reception to Federation Force: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07...ative-metroid-prime-federation-force-reaction

His other statements confirm what I said in my previous post: Nintendo isn't content with polishing existing concepts. The company wants to experiment with older franchises. I don't think it's an unreasonable demand to ask fans to try the game first before bashing it.

I don't think it's an unreasonable demand to ask fans to try the game first before bashing it.
Fans like bashing game concepts they don't like before they play the finished game. Some examples of this are:
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Majora's Mask (N64)
  • Wind Waker (GC)
  • Mario Party 9/10 (Admittedly both games are bad but both were pre-judged too)
  • Federation Force
  • And probably more out there too.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
its just not what fans deserve. Its a little gimmicky game. Might have been a nice eshop shooter. Might have been good to release alongside a new Metroid (behind the scenes trouble?) This is not what Nintendo should have given us.

its just not what fans deserve. Its a little gimmicky game. Might have been a nice eshop shooter. Might have been good to release alongside a new Metroid (behind the scenes trouble?) This is not what Nintendo should have given us.

Metroid Prime Federation Force is the first Metroid game where you'll be able to see Samus from a third person perspective: http://www.wired.com/2015/06/kensuke-tanabe-metroid-prime-federation-force/

The interview also sheds some more light on the game's development. Blast Ball will serve as a tutorial to the main game. The game, as a whole, aims to serve as an introduction to first person shooters for people who haven't played many before or aren't very good at them. Metroid Prime Producer, Kensuke Tanabe, first got the idea for the game when he saw the extra c-stick on the New 3DS.

Honestly, I think people are jumping to conclusions too quickly. Metroid has already done great side games with Metroid Prime Hunters. Federation Force is also being developed by Next Level Games who did a good job with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon on 3DS.

The main Metroid games are some of the highest rated games of all time. It's understandable that Nintendo needs time to figure out how to progress the series now that Retro has moved on to Donkey Kong Country. I would rather wait for the next revolutionary Metroid game then settle for another polarizing game like Other M. This spin-off only buys time for that to happen.

Me!

I'm not a big Metroid person but I have been hearing people flip their lids over the lack Samus in this game. Every series receives an expanded universe outside the main character and no one minds. Ala, Donkey Kong games without DK, Mario games starring Luigi, Toad, Peach, Yoshi, etc, Zelda games tarring Tingle. How is it a bad thing for Metroid to get the same treatment?

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I'm not a big Metroid person but I have been hearing people flip their lids over the lack Samus in this game. Every series receives an expanded universe outside the main character and no one minds. Ala, Donkey Kong games without DK, Mario games starring Luigi, Toad, Peach, Yoshi, etc, Zelda games tarring Tingle. How is it a bad thing for Metroid to get the same treatment?
Because, as has been stated at least ten times in this thread, those other franchises get loads of main series games, There hasn't been a Metroid game in five years (eight if you discount the atrocity of Other M), and now the first sign of life is a lukewarm spinoff that goes in its own direction? It's no wonder people are pissed. Hell, I've never played Metroid and I'm pissed. Imagine if Zelda didn't get a new game for a decade and the first game after that break was a sequel to Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. Pretty much what happened here.

Because, as has been stated at least ten times in this thread, those other franchises get loads of main series games, There hasn't been a Metroid game in five years (eight if you discount the atrocity of Other M), and now the first sign of life is a lukewarm spinoff that goes in its own direction? It's no wonder people are pissed. Hell, I've never played Metroid and I'm pissed. Imagine if Zelda didn't get a new game for a decade and the first game after that break was a sequel to Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. Pretty much what happened here.
I assume you've played the fully developed Federation Force game (that is not even fully developed yet) to make this statement?
It's just all speculation till Federation Force is fully developed and peopler play the released game. Just the crowd mentality hating on the game.

I like what I see from Federation Force. I do think Federation Force will be a good game. But I will not know for sure till it's fully released. My final judgement is reserved till then.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I assume you've played the fully developed Federation Force game (that is not even fully developed yet) to make this statement?
It's just all speculation till Federation Force is fully developed and peopler play the released game. Just the crowd mentality hating on the game.

I like what I see from Federation Force. I do think Federation Force will be a good game. But I will not know for sure till it's fully released. My final judgement is reserved till then.
If this game had any of the classic Metroid elements, don't you think they'd have shown it at E3 or at least mentioned it in an interview? Either they're trying to keep that actual quality elements a secret of they flat out don't exist. Either way, they deserve the criticism.

If this game had any of the classic Metroid elements, don't you think they'd have shown it at E3 or at least mentioned it in an interview? Either they're trying to keep that actual quality elements a secret of they flat out don't exist. Either way, they deserve the criticism.
Or maybe that's all Nintendo have to show so far. More content will come and it will be shared with us. We just have to be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom