• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metroid Prime Federation Force

Mange

Bitte benutzen Sie Google Übersetzer
Happy not to be a Metroid Fan, I don't want to feel that pain you guys have after so many years of waiting for a new Metroid game...and then you get that.

I don't get it. People wanted Zelda U on WiiU and we get a lame 4 swords adventures game on 3DS instead. People are not up in arms about that.
Maybe because the fans feel Aonuma can do no wrong. But when it's Metroid they bitterly complain. Similar situation both IPs. Ok for one but not ok for the other.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I don't get it. People wanted Zelda U on WiiU and we get a lame 4 swords adventures game on 3DS instead. People are not up in arms about that.
Maybe because the fans feel Aonuma can do no wrong. But when it's Metroid they bitterly complain. Similar situation both IPs. Ok for one but not ok for the other.
well we were told that zelda wii u wasn't going to show up on E3,are you really gonna complain about something we already expected?
at least w/ metroid,we weren't told single thing about a new game while the last one came out a while ago,completely different situations

The reason for this is that Zelda Tri Force Heroes isn't a radical departure from series roots. There are dungeon like levels to traverse, and people play as Link. Metroid: Federation Force, on the other hand, doesn't feature Samus, has weak visuals even compared to the last handheld Metroid on DS, and adds insult to injury by having a glorified soccer game as an advertised selling point.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
The difference is that Zelda actually gets quality games every couple of years. It's not frequent, but it's something. Metroid on the other hand hasn't had a game for over five years (eight if you ignore the disaster that was Other M), and now the only sign of life is a very weak and underwhelming spinoff title. Imagine it like this; Zelda hasn't gotten a new installment in a decade, and then at the biggest gaming conference in the world, Tingles Rosy Rupeeland 2 is announced.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
It's because the 3DS has already had good Zelda experiences on the system.
They had their expectations met, and exceeded(Well, with most of the fans anyway).
3DS has had A Link Between Worlds, MM3D, OoT3D. They are allowed to make a relatively wanted sequel to the Four Swords games.
Let me put it this way. If Gamecube never got WW, or TP. And the only new Zelda game to play on Gamecube was Four Swords Adventures. People would have been mad!
Spinoffs overall are a good thing, but you need to put the mainline games on a system too.
We know Zelda Wii U is on the way, and while it's disappointing we didn't get information, we know they are working on it.
With Metroid Federation. They took a franchise(The Metroid series) that hasn't had a good game since 2007. They then brandished the most beloved game series(The Prime Series) with gameplay that is completely unrelated and goes against EVERYTHING the Metroid series stands for.
It gets rid of:
The Atmosphere
Exploration
Isolation
Dark Themes
Story Telling
and
Graphical Fidelity.
That is pretty much everything that made Metroid stand out in a sea of platformers/shooters, and they tossed it out the window. Metroid Prime Federation Fighters seems to be a huge step back for the series. If it was a new IP, that would be ok. I would love for Nintendo to experiment with new charactersm but what was shown, wasn't Metroid one bit.
Triforce Heroes, however, still keeps the same conventions(With some exceptions, but overall, yes)
There are still puzzles
There are still cool items and dungeons revolving around these items
It adds cool new mechanics to the series
It still has some exploration within dungeons
It very much seems pretty challenging and focuses on teamwork.
You still play as Link
It keeps the Zelda universe intact, keeps that same Zelda charm, and looks to be pretty fun.
You are comparing apples to oranges here.

well we were told that zelda wii u wasn't going to show up on E3,are you really gonna complain about something we already expected?
at least w/ metroid,we weren't told single thing about a new game while the last one came out a while ago,completely different situations
I'm not complaining. I listened to Aonuma. But many others have complained about Zelda U not being at E3 2015. Not to the extreme extents of the Metroid fans though.

The difference is that Zelda actually gets quality games every couple of years. It's not frequent, but it's something. Metroid on the other hand hasn't had a game for over five years (eight if you ignore the disaster that was Other M), and now the only sign of life is a very weak and underwhelming spinoff title. Imagine it like this; Zelda hasn't gotten a new installment in a decade, and then at the biggest gaming conference in the world, Tingles Rosy Rupeeland 2 is announced.

No difference to Star Fox that totally skipped the Wii. Sure Star Fox Zero will be amazing. But that doesn't change things. I think the issue is people are mostly unhappy cause Federation Force has the Prime word attached to it. And because they are basing their opinions on a incomplete version of the game. People's reactions will change tot he finished game, just like they did for SM3DW. People hated SM3DW at E3 but loved the final game. I don't think Federation Force will be that extreme, but the finished game will not be all that bad.

It's because the 3DS has already had good Zelda experiences on the system.
They had their expectations met, and exceeded(Well, with most of the fans anyway).
3DS has had A Link Between Worlds, MM3D, OoT3D. They are allowed to make a relatively wanted sequel to the Four Swords games.
Let me put it this way. If Gamecube never got WW, or TP. And the only new Zelda game to play on Gamecube was Four Swords Adventures. People would have been mad!
Spinoffs overall are a good thing, but you need to put the mainline games on a system too.
We know Zelda Wii U is on the way, and while it's disappointing we didn't get information, we know they are working on it.
With Metroid Federation. They took a franchise(The Metroid series) that hasn't had a good game since 2007. They then brandished the most beloved game series(The Prime Series) with gameplay that is completely unrelated and goes against EVERYTHING the Metroid series stands for.
It gets rid of:
The Atmosphere
Exploration
Isolation
Dark Themes
Story Telling
and
Graphical Fidelity.
That is pretty much everything that made Metroid stand out in a sea of platformers/shooters, and they tossed it out the window. Metroid Prime Federation Fighters seems to be a huge step back for the series. If it was a new IP, that would be ok. I would love for Nintendo to experiment with new charactersm but what was shown, wasn't Metroid one bit.
Triforce Heroes, however, still keeps the same conventions(With some exceptions, but overall, yes)
There are still puzzles
There are still cool items and dungeons revolving around these items
It adds cool new mechanics to the series
It still has some exploration within dungeons
It very much seems pretty challenging and focuses on teamwork.
You still play as Link
It keeps the Zelda universe intact, keeps that same Zelda charm, and looks to be pretty fun.
You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Four Swords Adventures was a huge step back for Zelda games after Wind Waker and the N64 games. But people didn't complain too much about that. And it was on the TV console system. Same issue.

Your hating of Federation Force is based on an incomplete version of the game. You ARE judging the book by it's cover so to speak. You should stop being so judgemental, and wait for the final release of the game and make your mind up then.

Federation Force is the best example yet proving Nintendo fans hate too much innovation. Make a game too different to your previous game and the fans complain and cry saying it's nothing like the previous game waa waa. The fans here are not willing to wait for the finished product and judge the game on it's merits. Is this Metroid Prime 4? No. But the game is not even trying to be that. Federation Force is a basic FPS game to try and introduce the Japanese market to FPS's. And Nintendo chose the 3DS for this because it's way more popular in Jap than the WiiU is. Really this game is more targeted towards the Jap 3DS market. We are just getting it because we can, but we are not the game's main target audience.

Hating on Federation Force now is like hating on a book based on it's cover and refusing to read the inside book and see how the book really is. Just wait. When the game's done, then we'll know how good or bad it really is. If you refuse to do this, your loss. I am willing to wait and see how this turns out. I don't think brilliantly, but the game should be solid and it's main target audience, Jap 3DS users should like it.

Terminus

No difference to Star Fox that totally skipped the Wii. Sure Star Fox Zero will be amazing. But that doesn't change things. I think the issue is people are mostly unhappy cause Federation Force has the Prime word attached to it. And because they are basing their opinions on a incomplete version of the game. People's reactions will change tot he finished game, just like they did for SM3DW. People hated SM3DW at E3 but loved the final game. I don't think Federation Force will be that extreme, but the finished game will not be all that bad.
Well the main difference is that this will actually be a Star Fox game, so the analogy doesn't apply to it. No matter how you cut it, the first game in a traditionally singleplayer series for over five years should definitely not be a cheap-looking multiplayer spinoff title.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
Your hating of Federation Force is based on an incomplete version of the game. You ARE judging the book by it's cover so to speak. You should stop being so judgemental, and wait for the final release of the game and make your mind up then.

Federation Force is the best example yet proving Nintendo fans hate too much innovation. Make a game too different to your previous game and the fans complain and cry saying it's nothing like the previous game waa waa. The fans here are not willing to wait for the finished product and judge the game on it's merits. Is this Metroid Prime 4? No. But the game is not even trying to be that. Federation Force is a basic FPS game to try and introduce the Japanese market to FPS's. And Nintendo chose the 3DS for this because it's way more popular in Jap than the WiiU is. Really this game is more targeted towards the Jap 3DS market. We are just getting it because we can, but we are not the game's main target audience.

Hating on Federation Force now is like hating on a book based on it's cover and refusing to read the inside book and see how the book really is. Just wait. When the game's done, then we'll know how good or bad it really is. If you refuse to do this, your loss. I am willing to wait and see how this turns out. I don't think brilliantly, but the game should be solid and it's main target audience, Jap 3DS users should like it.

The big reason we (Metroid fans) are so upset with Federation Force is that it has the Metroid name attached to it. The thing that THIS is supposed to be a Metroid game and is nothing like any of the other main games in the series is why we are upset. If they would have called this game anything else I think this uproar would be nothing at all however since it is an installment to the Metroid series we are thoroughly upset.

The thing that THIS is supposed to be a Metroid game and is nothing like any of the other main games in the series is why we are upset.
Majora's Mask and Wind Waker suffered from the same fate early on. Zelda 2 NES did also to an extent. People had an idea in their head of what a Zelda game should be. And when the resulting Zelda game (MM or WW) was radically different, there was initial hate towards it. Because the game didn't meet their expectations. But as we now know MM and WW are very good games that were just badly misjudged initially.

I feel Federation Force is suffering from the same misjudgement. I do agree the Prime label on it was really not needed. And did hurt the new game. But past that people need to stop expecting every game of any series will be just like the main series. Some will be and some will not be. Having this as a Metroid game is fine. And I think in time, (like for MM and WW) people will eventually see Federation Force for what it really is. Best game ever? Certasinly not. But I think it'll be fun for those interested in the genre.

Terminus

Majora's Mask and Wind Waker suffered from the same fate early on. Zelda 2 NES did also to an extent. People had an idea in their head of what a Zelda game should be. And when the resulting Zelda game (MM or WW) was radically different, there was initial hate towards it. Because the game didn't meet their expectations. But as we now know MM and WW are very good games that were just badly misjudged initially.

I feel Federation Force is suffering from the same misjudgement. I do agree the Prime label on it was really not needed. And did hurt the new game. But past that people need to stop expecting every game of any series will be just like the main series. Some will be and some will not be. Having this as a Metroid game is fine. And I think in time, (like for MM and WW) people will eventually see Federation Force for what it really is. Best game ever? Certasinly not. But I think it'll be fun for those interested in the genre.
I... what. MM was the only thing close to a departure from the series in that it didn't feature Zelda, but it still had all the staples of a Zelda game, such as dungeons, sidequests, and oh I don't know something minor like the series protagonist. WW was even less of a departure, with the only launch critique being the admittedly goofy art style, but it was still a Zelda game. MP:FF on the other hand is such a wild departure from series norms (not playing as the series protagonist, multiplayer) that it isn't really a Metroid game and shouldn't be called as such.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
so then mario golf or mario party and such aren't mario games then?
They didn't call Mario Party: Super Mario 64 Mario-Time! Or Mario golf Super Mario Brothers: Club Swing!
They also released actual Mario titles before they plagued the market with fun spinoffs.
Also, the Mario Spinoffs actually use Mario characters! They use Mario aesthetics! They use Mario items! They actually resemble Mario, and they follow the ideals Miyamoto set out for Mario. Metroid Federations does none of these things. There aren't Metroid Characters, aesthetics, items(besides missiles), and they don't follow any of the ideals that Metroid sought for.
When we saw blastball being played, no one knew it even had the slightest to do with Metroid. That's a sure sign you have a terrible spinoff. This continues throughout what we have seen with the main game as well.
This game has absolutely nothing to do with Metroid. Especially not Metroid Prime.
They should just call the game Federation Force and watch the game fail as it targets a very small user base(this game is N3DS exclusive) while adding absolutely nothing innovative or new that we have seen in FPS's before while packaging it with less than stellar graphics. That would have given the game at least better sales, and it wouldn't piss off it's loyal series fans.

I... what. MM was the only thing close to a departure from the series in that it didn't feature Zelda, but it still had all the staples of a Zelda game, such as dungeons, sidequests, and oh I don't know something minor like the series protagonist. WW was even less of a departure, with the only launch critique being the admittedly goofy art style, but it was still a Zelda game. MP:FF on the other hand is such a wild departure from series norms (not playing as the series protagonist, multiplayer) that it isn't really a Metroid game and shouldn't be called as such.
Back in the day people complained MM was not a Zelda game. For all the obvious reasons. The comparison between it and Federation Force is valid. Either Enough people will buy Federation Force or it'll flop. That simple. I just hope all this prejudging a incomplete game doesn't prevent people from having an open mind when the game is actually released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom