• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (Update with Public Demo)

If you guys weren't feeling Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, well don't worry, because the next installment in one of gaming's most iconic franchises has just been unveiled at Konami's Metal Gear 25th Anniversary event. Attendants of this event were treated to a real-time demo running on the new FOX engine, which simply left the viewers amazed. Little is known about this project, though it is reported to be an open-world experience.

The first piece of concept art for Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
Famitsu-pic.jpg

Source: Open-World Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Unveiled - IGN

Edit: The demo which was said to be running on current-gen PC specs, has been described to be built with the Xbox 360 and PS3 in mind. FOX engine however, will make its way into next-gen.

Here's a description of the footage shown at Metal Gear's 25th Anniversary event and some insight on the game's direction.

"After a seamless cutscene transition, Big Boss is shown creeping around a base at night in the rain, snapping necks, dodging spotlights and even driving a Jeep..." ~ Video Game Writers

"In the demo, Snake crawled to avoid some searchlights. After a quick stealth kill, he hopped in a jeep and called in a helicopter for evac. The concept behind Ground Zeroes is that this is a "Game without Game Over". So even if a player is discovered in this stealth title, the part where the game would usually end (their discovery) turns into their escape." ~ Kotaku

Metal Gear 25 Anniversary poster
snake.jpg

Source 1: 'Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes' announced, starring Big Boss - Video Game Writers

Source 2: Konami Reveals New Metal Gear Solid Game [Update: Now With First Images]

Last edited:
I'm honestly a little worried about the Metal Gear Solid series now, because they've effectively wrapped up their story yet are still making new games, and in my opinion that can quickly kill a series' quality. That said the Metal Gear series has never done anything to seriously make me lose faith in it -- even my mild disappointments with MGS2 were quickly alleviates by MGS3, one of the best games I've ever played -- so I'm keeping an open mind here. Open world sounds strange but I'll have to see more of the game before I can really criticize it.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Because I don't need more then 1 disc. I still have Metal Gear Solid: HD collection for 360 though so I might just get the 360 but I haven't played 4 yet and it's the only one I haven't beaten.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Because I don't need more then 1 disc. I still have Metal Gear Solid: HD collection for 360 though so I might just get the 360 but I haven't played 4 yet and it's the only one I haven't beaten.

Didn't really answer the question... but whatever.

On other news. DAMN!

[video=youtube_share;pKrkf7BEb-4]http://youtu.be/pKrkf7BEb-4[/video]

Edit: IGN has posted an extended demo with English subtitles.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/01/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-extended-14-minute-demo

Last edited:

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I am absolutely blown away by what Kojima and Konami have been able to produce with current generation hardware. Just when you believe the virtual realm couldn't transplant reality anymore, MGS manages to blow us away once more. The textures here are absolutely gorgeous. I find it intriguing that Kojima describes this as a prologue to Metal Gear Solid 5 but it should make a fantastic return to roots prior to said game and after the hack and slash title that is Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance.

I find it strange that this is a prequel though but considering the series timeline nothing surprises me anymore. I wonder if the character is Big Boss or Snake. As IGN speculated, I'm more inclined to believe the former since his patch is on his right eye. The villain also appears to be a demonic departure. Why does his countenance appear so burned? Kojima is asking the difficult questions without giving us an answers, the proper way to cap of 25th years of stealth scavenging.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I am absolutely blown away by what Kojima and Konami have been able to produce with current generation hardware. Just when you believe the virtual realm couldn't transplant reality anymore, MGS manages to blow us away once more. The textures here are absolutely gorgeous. I find it intriguing that Kojima describes this as a prologue to Metal Gear Solid 5 but it should make a fantastic return to roots prior to said game and after the hack and slash title that is Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance.

The series never lost its roots, especially when you consider Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance isn't a Metal Gear Solid title.

Edit: Also, is it just me or does Big Boss look like Chuck Norris? It is known that Hideo Kojima has taken inspiration from the cinema when it comes to the Metal Gear series, so I don't think it's too far-fetched.

Last edited:

tysonrss

Keyblade Master

I find it strange that this is a prequel though but considering the series timeline nothing surprises me anymore. I wonder if the character is Big Boss or Snake. As IGN speculated, I'm more inclined to believe the former since his patch is on his right eye. The villain also appears to be a demonic departure. Why does his countenance appear so burned? Kojima is asking the difficult questions without giving us an answers, the proper way to cap of 25th years of stealth scavenging.

I was expecting more of an Metal Gear/Metal Gear 2 remake for the 25th, but I guess a prequel to Peace Walker is pretty dandy too, who knows? There may be a a remake after this game, but for the newer gen systems.

I was thinking that burnt guy was Volgin but I'm not too sure if he's working for FOX, nonetheless, I bet it's someone from the past.

Kirino

Tatakae
24888d1346655260-mgs-ground-zeroes-heclq.jpg

Look at this picture. The burnt man is wearing the exact same clothes as Zadornov from PW. They might be the same person. This is the most credible theory I've seen yet, and I doubt it's just a coincidence.

Kirino

Tatakae
Rumor: Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes Release Date Leaked?

According to the link above, Ground Zeroes Release date appears to have been leaked. Before dismissing this as another rumor, the same site apparently predicted the exact date of Crysis 3's release. The supposed release date is September 13, 2013. Ground Zeroes has probably been in development for a while considering that the demo has actual gameplay. The last big console release was MGS4, and the Fox Engine has been out for a while, so its not too farfetched.

Last edited:

Kirino

Tatakae

Sorry. Fixed. Also, if it wasn't already obvious enough, the main character is Big Boss, and this game takes place after Peace Walker. Probably in the late 1970's. Chico is seen in the demo, and they talk about what happened to Paz. I just wanted to clear that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom