• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Malon, Marin... Paya?

So, many Zelda games have some sort of maybe-would-be love interest for Link (besides Zelda because rarely are they an item).

Malon fit the bill, Link's ranch hand identity and the haunting theme at night in Twilight Princess had many people theorising that perhaps Link settled down with Malon.

Of course we've got the free bird Marin too as another love interest (though a one of surreal circumstance).

There are a few others, (like Ilia) but you get the point.

For many BotW also has its Malon-ish character. One i would like to see again in more games (descendents and all that) in the form of Paya.

Paya is Impa's grand/daughter/cleaner/slave type person who looks like a cute girl cosplaying as the wolf from Okami. She is called Paya because of a birthmark that looks like a papaya seed on her... well, she'll tell you some day.

She's the closest thing Link has to a Malon-ish character. And i'd like to see the Sheikah/okami offspring of hers and Link's in a future game.

Paya seems to be rather liked in the community. But what do you think about her?

Do you think Link may settle down with her before Zelda puts the moves on him?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Absolutely. Paya is the Waifu I would pick for Link in this installment. She is super cute and Link should get in there before somebody else does.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I totally adore Paya. She's very sweet and she's got a lot on her shoulders, she'll probably be taking over Impa's role when she's gone. I love the things she writes in her diary it makes me laugh, and what I love most about her is that, even as a minor character, there's an actual development of her character over the course of the game. She gets less shy around you, she talks to you more informally and more confidently, etc. She's one of my favorite characters in the game.

and i totally do ship her with link lol

I'm gonna say probably not in this case.

I'm not sure how far you've gotten, but....

It was heavily implied that Link was on the verge of getting engaged to one of the other champions before everything went to crap. So the "alternate" ship in this game has already gone the way of Gwen Stacey.

I usually consider myself a "Zelink Skeptic" for the reasons you already gave... rarely do Link and Zelda actually get together. But on this particular case I think the game is pushing that way. Not immediately... If Link had any decent amount of memories back he'd need some rebound space for a while, but the setup is definitely there toward the end.

I will say Paya is very cute and funny though. Somebody on reddit said if you keep bugging her about the birthmark Impa starts yelling at Link, but I've never gotten it to happen.

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
Palink. Liya. Palinkya.

Anyway. It was love at first sight for Link and Paya I believe. That stutter. It really got to Link. If it wasn't for that hint of "what-if" chance of being with Zelda I think Link would be full Paya romance. "I got a house in Hateno ready for us, baby, let's go."

Mido

Version 1
I've barely made a dent in anything thus far, just meandering through Hyrule is all I've done. I've only met Paya the other day; but yeah, I can see this whole premise shaping up. As far as introductions go for Link and Paya, they seemed to hit it off, albeit awkwardly. I'll have to play more of the game to see if there's anything else to say on the matter. Overall, Paya does seem to be a viable contender for a Malon-esque character.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Link X Paya is a valid, feasible ship. 10/10 would strip in front of Paya again.

I see Link and Zelda as close friends, but there aint nothing romantic in there, at least that they showed to us. Zelda was way too involved with her destiny **** to even care about hitting that up.

Djinn

and Tonic
Overwhelming majority of the time it does nto work to ship Link with Zelda. Half the time Link does not even know Zelda. Regardless of how heroic he is I'm sure daddy kingbucks and the rest of the nobility would put up with some filthy commoner and the firstborn daughter of the king of Hyrule.

His best chances are with SS Zelda who might have ended up with him and Tetra who Link had no chance with.

I actually wonder if a few of those adventures ended with the King thanking Link for his service to the kingdom......then eyeing his guards to take him out back and put the boot to him in the garden for a bit after getting a little too friendly with his daughter.

But I do like how they include someone more for Link in most of the games. Besides, Paya saw him shirtless. She Has to marry him now according to old world rules.

Once you get to some of the end game stuff, it becomes very obvious that there was one person who Link was going to end up with and that's...

Zelda

It's revealed that Zelda did actually have feelings towards Link all along, with her behaviour towards him seemingly being an attempt to conceal it.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Once you get to some of the end game stuff, it becomes very obvious that there was one person who Link was going to end up with and that's...

Zelda

It's revealed that Zelda did actually have feelings towards Link all along, with her behaviour towards him seemingly being an attempt to conceal it.
Where was it revealed? It was never revealed. I assumed it from context but nothing was ever said.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Where was it revealed? It was never revealed. I assumed it from context but nothing was ever said.
Kass tells you, after you beat all of his shrine quests and talk to him in Rito Village. He tells you his mentor was at the castle and was in love with Zelda but hated Link because she only had eyes for him. Then his attitude changed when he watched Link risk his life fighting the guardians. Apparently he saw the battle that put Link out of commission, and he wrote a final song about it that he passed down to Kass, and the lyrics mention that Zelda's love for her fallen knight finally awakened her power.

I was a little reluctant to take it at face value but honestly that's the closest to a confirmation we've ever gotten.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Kass tells you, after you beat all of his shrine quests and talk to him in Rito Village. He tells you his mentor was at the castle and was in love with Zelda but hated Link because she only had eyes for him. Then his attitude changed when he watched Link risk his life fighting the guardians. Apparently he saw the battle that put Link out of commission, and he wrote a final song about it that he passed down to Kass, and the lyrics mention that Zelda's love for her fallen knight finally awakened her power.

I was a little reluctant to take it at face value but honestly that's the closest to a confirmation we've ever gotten.
I figured that was implied since Mipha basically said she's best at healing when she thinks of Link and then Zelda awakens her powers to protect Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom