• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Making the next 2D Zelda a... Wonder

Yes, that was a stupid attempt to remind you all of the currently upcoming Super Mario Bros Wonder.

So, with a new 2D Mario on the horizon, it got me thinking of how with Tears of the Kingdom out and not getting DLC (at least as of now), the next Zelda game is probably being brainstormed.

So, with that in mind, let's say Aonuma decides to make the next title a 2D game. How would it play or be different from past titles.

I can already hear someone ready to type out "Link's Awakening remake on Switch!"
You're right... just one thing...
Super Mario Bros Wonder's making some big changes from past 3D Mario games played in 2D. The big one is the art style. The game has a painted look with more emphasis on key poses and giving motion lines and after images to represent movement.

There's also a few things like actual voice acting, multiple playable characters and unique power ups.
So, with all that in mind... what would a new 2D Zelda look like?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. All I can think of at the moment is a similar painted look.

A watercolour graphical style with colour being a main gimmick.
Maybe you could draw thing and they become real/come to life.
Maybe a side-scroller? If you remake the second game.
Or perhaps a graphical style like Ocarina, or Wind Waker.

Looking back at previous 2D games:
  • The original did an open world, though not much else
  • Zelda II was a side-scrolling rpg
  • Link's Awakening set the style for the Oracle games, had a trading sequence, didn't do much else
  • Oracle games had time travel and changing seasons
  • Four Swords and Adventure were multiplayer
  • Minish Cap had the shrinking mechanic
  • Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks had a steam boat and steam train, as well as a big dungeon you go through multiple times
  • A Link Between Worlds had the changing into a painting thing going on

Making a brand new 2D Zelda game just generally isn't in Nintendo's best interest... The amount of development needed vs the risk of not following their new open-world style just isn't a monetarily good decision in the slightest. They've been porting old games because it's easy money, and if they were to make another 2D game it would be a remake like Links Awakening to ensure that at least veteran players (or anyone who has heard that it's good) will actually have a reason to play it.

i really want to see i giant 2d zelda game like the size of botw in the style of link to the past and minish cap

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Making a brand new 2D Zelda game just generally isn't in Nintendo's best interest... The amount of development needed vs the risk of not following their new open-world style just isn't a monetarily good decision in the slightest. They've been porting old games because it's easy money, and if they were to make another 2D game it would be a remake like Links Awakening to ensure that at least veteran players (or anyone who has heard that it's good) will actually have a reason to play it.
they could easily outsource a new 2d game to another studio and it'd be a great way to fill in the gaps during the 5+ year wait b/w the big 3d zelda's, if anything they have all the reason to keep making original 2d games

they could easily outsource a new 2d game to another studio and it'd be a great way to fill in the gaps during the 5+ year wait b/w the big 3d zelda's, if anything they have all the reason to keep making original 2d games
how tf do you go from botw to a traditional 2d game lol

Just because a game design is simpler or older than the latest and greatest style doesn't mean it's an inferior product.
I totally agree, I am just saying that a traditional style Zelda to fill the next canonical timeslot in the timeline after totk without the help of another studio (like age of calamity) likely just isn't going to happen because of just how different botw/totk playstyle/link is. Translating new hyrule into 2d would basically be impossible from a developers standpoint without just looking like a spinoff...

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I totally agree, I am just saying that a traditional style Zelda to fill the next canonical timeslot in the timeline after totk without the help of another studio (like age of calamity) likely just isn't going to happen because of just how different botw/totk playstyle/link is. Translating new hyrule into 2d would basically be impossible from a developers standpoint without just looking like a spinoff...
why are we assuming the next 2d zelda has to take place in the current iteration of hyrule? we've seen these games jump around the timeline a lot even on the same platform, the next game could totally take place at a different point

I always love settings outside of Hyrule. It's just so different, yet also much the same.
The Oracle games did well with their lands, imagine returning to them.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Ah ok I gotcha. But why reuse the same map? BotW and TotK doing that was pretty unprecedented in Zelda, I'd imagine they'd start from scratch for a new 2D game.

Ah ok I gotcha. But why reuse the same map? BotW and TotK doing that was pretty unprecedented in Zelda, I'd imagine they'd start from scratch for a new 2D game.
Thats actually a much better take... I guess I saw Nintendo as much more greedy than they may be, wanting to continuing on milking the botw/totk world/style. TRUST ME I would love NOTHING MORE than to get another traditional, new zelda game (even if its 2d :/), but I'm just having a bit of trouble seeing how they could even fit that in. Any ideas?

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
Honestly, I am still voting for a remaster than a fully new game, but a new game of course isn't totally out of the cards. I just think it's less likely since they had focused on the BotW style for so long now. Reason being: Nintendo's been on the remake/remaster train HARD lately, given Metroid Prime, Mario RPG & now- to my SHOCK, Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, sonething I legit thought I'd not see until I was into my 40's, to be frank, given how badly PM is ignored by them. Anyway.
I don't think it's at all unrealistic to believe there will be an HD remaster of an older Zelda title now, especially now that they slapped me over the head with a surprise PM remake. They've just been doing remasters very often lately, so the time feels very, very ripe for it for a ghost drop either on Eshop or physically. And given they seem "done" with BotW/TotK I don't think they'd want to stagnate that world by using it AGAIN with a new game, unless it's yet another Hyrule Warriors thing. I don't think that's needed. So.
Given the shutdown of the 3DS shop, I'm hoping for A Link Between Worlds. Why I think this one, I couldn't say. Maybe just a sense. Something deep in me is also sensing a port of Star Fox Zero, given the Pikmin ports, & A Link Between Worlds just feels "right" to me on Switch. They'd need to change some things with it, of course, but the bright visual style & graphical presentation of the original just seems like it would be a good idea. Much like WW aging well.

Now, would I WANT a new 2D Zelda? Of course. It's underutilized & the portability of the Switch is pretty great for it. However, I still think we're more likely to get remasters of an older title first... I was initially thinking Seasons or Ages, but now those are on the new Switch Online nonsense, so I don't think Nintendo would want to make an HD version of a game you can "already play" with their package (on that note, my realization that a remaster of Paper Mario 64 is unlikely now for a while, since it's been put on Switch Online... though not entirely out of the cards given we had LW remade & it's still on the service if I recall?). So what does that leave, besides a new surprise title? What is out there that we have "no way to play" right now that would be in the interest for Nintendo to make some new, "current" money with? This is why I am curious of a WW, TP or Link Between Worlds port or remaster since they are "stuck" on 3DS or WiiU currently... sorry this is just all musing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom