• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Remake - Wii U or 3DS?

Should an MM remake be on Wii U or 3DS?

• Wii U - only an HD remake would do it justice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3DS - I want to see Termina in 3D

• Undecided

• Total voters
Recently, there has been a lot of discussion about a remake of Majora's Mask. Up until E3 2012, however, the general consensus was that any MM remake should be for the Nintendo 3DS. That is, until we saw this trailer. Now, opinions are split between a Wii U or a 3DS remake. Which system would you rather see a Majora's Mask remake on?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I would much rather the game be released on 3DS so as to complement (yes, with an E) Ocarina of Time 3D. You see, almost everywhere that OoT has been released, MM has been there at its side. N64, GameCube Collector's Disc, Wii Virtual Console...it would only be fair (and reasonable) for MM to go to the 3DS as well. I mean, think about it: we could get an amazing game to take with us ON THE GO, or have us confined to a few rooms in the house! Which would you prefer?

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I firmly believe Nintendo's priority should be producing new Zelda games over remakes. Newer games attract a larger audience because they feature a new world and quests no player has traversed. These titles are also opportunities to prod the bells and whistles of new hardware. Remakes are primarily intended for a younger generation with only some loyalists flocking as well therefore generate a smaller revenue.

I would prefer to see a Majora's Mask remake on the 3DS. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for Nintendo's first forage into HD and the trailer posting in the opening post blew my mind this past summer, however, Majora's Mask has yet to see a portable version and it should naturally ensue after Ocarina of Time 3D. Considering it refined the 3D experience Ocarina pioneered, Majora's Mask deserves no less than a spotlight in stereoscopic 3D.

I would much rather the game be released on 3DS so as to complement (yes, with an E) Ocarina of Time 3D. You see, almost everywhere that OoT has been released, MM has been there at its side. N64, GameCube Collector's Disc, Wii Virtual Console...it would only be fair (and reasonable)

And that's always been the problem - Majora's Mask is always in Ocarina of Time's shadow, always being thought of as a "side game" for OoT. When in actual fact, it's a unique and brilliant game, deserving of its own glory, without just being a shadow that follows OoT.

The only way for Majora's Mask to get the praise it really deserves is a Wii U remake, in my opinion. That way, it can finally stand alone without always having to be compared to OoT. (I think it's a far better game anyway, and besides using the same character models, the two games have nothing in common).

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
If they do remake it I would prefer Wii U, I prefer consoles to handhelds any day. Well, the fact that it would be in HD helps too.

I have always wanted Majora's Mask on the 3DS and my decision wont change. I don't care about HD graphics and all that nonsense Gamers mostly go on about. If Ocarina of Time is on the 3DS, you might as well put Majora's Mask on the 3DS as well, because it will make sense logically and it's the whole point of Operation Moonfall. The 3DS has a number of remakes and as far as I can tell, the Wii U doesn't have first-party remakes of a previous Nintendo game. leave the nostalgia on the 3DS and strive for New games for the Wii U.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
And that's always been the problem - Majora's Mask is always in Ocarina of Time's shadow, always being thought of as a "side game" for OoT. When in actual fact, it's a unique and brilliant game, deserving of its own glory, without just being a shadow that follows OoT.

The only way for Majora's Mask to get the praise it really deserves is a Wii U remake, in my opinion. That way, it can finally stand alone without always having to be compared to OoT. (I think it's a far better game anyway, and besides using the same character models, the two games have nothing in common).
MM does deserve its own glory and I agree it's pretty darn unique + brilliant, but it honestly is more of an "add-on" to OoT than it is its own game. When you consider the scope and the nature of the game, then even look into the tutorial sections of the game I think you'll catch what I mean. The game's story is nothing more than a side-story to Ocarina -- the game's title before Majora's Mask was literally Zelda Gaiden which means "Zelda Side Story" in Japanese. The scope of the game tells the plot of a three day (well, far more than three days but in all honesty I'm sure Link completed his quest in three days) adventure that Link goes on to find a friend. Controls for Young Link are completely identical to OoT, items are largely the same etc. The ingame helper, Tatl, even suggest through her ridicule that you have indeed played Ocarina of Time before even touching the title, or that you should have. The grandeur of this title is absolutely nothing like its predecessor, but one cannot deny that MM was built with OoT in mind.

Taking all of that into account, I think it's more productive to release the game on the 3DS regardless of if people recognize it as a full game or DLC for OoT. 3DS titles actually take far less time to develop than their console counterparts, and I know this from viewing production on several games I followed, the most notable one being Kingdom Hearts 3D which literally took a year to develop. With Nintendo being able to quickly push MM3D out (by the way, all models and things for MM are already made for the most part, and we have the OoT3D engine to boot), I'm sure Nintendo could go onto greater and bigger projects for the Wii U, such as an ALttP remake or even an ALttP sequel.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
If they do remake Majora's Mask (and I would give my first born son if it meant they would do it) I would greatly prefer it on the 3DS for many reasons.

1 - It wouldn't take long to develop because, as Ventus said, 3DS games are easier to make than HD ones. On top of that, you already have a working engine as well as sound files and even character models, not to mention all of the story and dialogue has already been written, so a lot of work towards it has already been done. Additionally, Ocarina of Time 3D was done by a studio named Grezzo. They would most likely handle Majora's Mask 3D as well, which means Nintendo would be completely free to focus on original Zelda titles.

2 - Graphics. We can all say they don't matter until the cows come home but we all know that they do make a difference. They may not be the most important thing in the world but they still matter. As much as Zelda in HD is no doubt going to be beautiful, Ocarina of Time 3D is easily one of the most attractive looking games I have ever played. It easily has the best, or at least some of the best, graphics on any handheld game ever and the main reason is the 3D effect. The 3D has such a huge impact on how good the game looks and seeing Majora's Mask in such a way is something I think I need in my life. I would rather have the two N64 era games be presented that way than have them look totally different.

3 - I don't know if people really do see Majora's Mask as 'Robin' to Ocarina of Time's 'Batman'. Majora's Mask is recognised as great and is appreciated all the more with time. Now that we are so far from the original release of Ocarina of Time, people appreciate Majora's Mask in its own light a lot more. Having it on 3DS will introduce it to a whole new generation of players. All of those young people who first played and loved Ocarina of Time on 3DS will be given the chance to experience Majora's Mask as well, and they'll probably appreciate it more because Ocarina won't have put stars in their eyes the way it did to us in 1998. The 3DS is Majora's Mask's chance to really shine like the beautiful jewel that it is, for us and for a new generation.

4 - The portability factor can't be ignored. Having the game wherever you go is one thing but consider the structure of Majora's Mask for a second. That three-day cycle puts your immediate objectives into focus. When playing, you often find you manage your time, deciding on which actions to make on the first day, which on the second, etc. That kind of compartmentalised gameplay suits portability perfectly. Playing the game, you think to yourself 'I will go and clear the path to Romani Ranch. That will take until the night-time'. On the 3DS you will think 'I will go clear Romani Ranch. That will take until the end of my bus journey'. More people will be more willing to take the game on the go because the time system emphasises doing smaller tasks. This will also help people get over the main gripe they had the first time around which was that very time system. Portability takes what was, critically, the game's biggest weakness and turns it into a strength.

I'd be elated with Majora's Mask on Wii U, of course. But if it were up to me, this wouldn't even be a choice. The 3DS is most definitely the better option for us and for the game itself.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
*shrugs* Why not have both?

Yeah right. While an HD remake on WiiU would be optimal, given the cost and effort involved in doing so, it is highly doubtful. Nintendo still has to be convinced to remake Majora at all.

While I'd rather have it on WiiU, it's much more likely to be a 3DS release.

Dan

Put it on 3DS, all the consoles games are making there way onto the handheld nintendo device anyway. Soon we shall see WW on the next nintendo handheld, although I'm sure they could get it on the 3DS now if they wanted. :P

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
As A Link In Time pointed out, I would love to see new Zelda games being produced rather than remakes. Though the older games, such as Majora's Mask are classic, I'm always pumped for a new story with challenging obstacles and crazy characters. That being said, if a Majora's Mask remake was in the process, I'd much rather see it on the 3DS than the Wii U. Firstly, there's the advantage of portable gaming. Just like OoT 3D, it would be awesome to take part in this adventure anytime, anywhere. Secondly, Majora's Mask is already available on the Wii via the Virtual Console, so there's a pretty good chance the Wii U will be the same in that aspect. Although seeing Deku Link in spectacular HD graphics is appealing, I'd much rather see this game use all the 3DS features to it's capabilities.

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
3DS. I think that it would justice for it, since it OoT was released on Nintendo 3DS as well, so it would only make sense, to have MM for 3DS too, since the overworld, graphics, gameplay, items etc. are similar in general, and they don't require the HD- quality Wii U has, so yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom