• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Majora's Mask: Link's Friend

There are a lot of theories on who Link is looking for in the beginning of Majora's Mask. Many people believe that he's looking for Navi, Link's trusty (but annoying) fairy in OoT. I believe that he's looking for Saria, another friend in OoT. This is my theory:
After saving Hyrule in OoT Zelda sent Link sent back to the past. Since Navi left Link, she will no longer help him with quests and puzzles. Kaepora Gaebora doesn't need to help Link anymore because there is no danger in Hyrule anymore. Link heads back to Kokiri Forest. While Link was gone, Saria went to her place outside of the Forest Temple where you learn Saria's Song. Link Goes to look for her. Since Link no loner has the advice of Navi and Kaepora Gaebora, he doesnt know the way to the Forest Temple where Saria is. He stumbles upon a "portal" which leads to Termina where the events at the beginning of Majora's Mask happens. Also i do believe that it's an alternate dimension of Hyrule. Some things are different than the normal version in OoT. Look at the difference of the Kokiri Sword in MM and OoT, the same goes for the Hero's Shield. Also Instead of a Triforce, which is a sign that represents the heavens, there is symbol that looks like Majora's Mask all over the place.
Think differently? Have the same theory just a different spin? Leave a comment below!
- EliteLinkMaster

Last edited:
L

Link305

Hahaha, for some extrange reason, one time I believed that the friend was, Skull kid xD.
But...no...never mind :P.

Uhm ... Navi can be ... But I don't think is Navi.
Saria makes a lot more sense...beacause in the beginning he is "lost" in some kind of LOST WOODS ...
But...I don't know ... why you think that he is looking for Saria ?, I mean, when Link was young, Saria is always in Kokiri Village, why she would get "lost" to take Link on searching her ? ... :S.

It is generally assumed to be Navi.

When Link goes back in time at the end of OoT there is a scene in the Temple of Time where Navi leaves Link. It is this Link that then goes to meet Zelda ie he has already met Kaepora Gaebora and Navi, so they would both be possibilities. Saria is presumably still in the Lost Woods, although I can't verify this. Remember that the Kokiri cannot leave the forest so the chances of her wandering too far away from Kokiri village are quite slim.

Perhaps it is deliberately ambiguous.

Hahaha, for some extrange reason, one time I believed that the friend was, Skull kid xD.
But...no...never mind :P.

Uhm ... Navi can be ... But I don't think is Navi.
Saria makes a lot more sense...beacause in the beginning he is "lost" in some kind of LOST WOODS ...
But...I don't know ... why you think that he is looking for Saria ?, I mean, when Link was young, Saria is always in Kokiri Village, why she would get "lost" to take Link on searching her ? ... :S.

Actually for a time I thought it was Skull Kid too. xD

It being Saria could be possible.But if Link never had to awaken the Sages and he didn't need the Fairy Ocarina, why would Saria go to the Forest Temple to teach him a song Link didn't need? And since Link grew up in the lost woods/Kokiri area wouldn't he know his way around the forest? And be smart enough to not get lost.

I generally believe it was Navi.

jugglaj91

I am me....
That is an interesting theory you have but I must say that Navi didn't help Link through the lost woods. And also Link would still have all the knowledge that Kaepora Gaebora and Navi gave him when he went back in time to relive his childhood. So like most others I believe it was Navi he was looking for.

korp

bagels
alot of people say its navi but i think it's saria. he was in the lost woods after all why would you look for your fairy in the lost woods? navi was the deku's tree partner. link should've looked there if he really wanted to find navi. otherwise he would be a dumb-dumb.

Rishian

The Meat Shield
I never thought about it possibly being Sara...
I remember the cut scene at the very beginning, when Link is remembering Navi, so I guess I just assumed that it was Navi that he was looking for, but it definately makes sense that it could be Sara that he was looking for, thinking that perhaps she had gone through the portal.

B

BlindZelda

I always thought it was Saria, since when you beat the game Saria's Song plays in the Credits.
What I think now:
Link, in the first cut scene when you hear the fairy noise, it might Tatl and Tail. Many people believe it was Navi because of the noise. I thought it was Tatl and Tail because they appeared in the next scene, following the same setting.
It COULD also be Skull Kid, but I highly doubt it. At the end Skull Kid says to Link after smelling him: " You smell like the Fairy Boy who taught me that song."
Its also believed that Termina is a dream world, created by imanganation for a image of Hyrule. So Link could be dreaming this all up, or could be in a illusion. So all we know is that it could be either Navi or Saria, I highly doubt that it is Skull Kid.

E

Exodus_

I think your right about the different dimension thing. I know I read up on something before that said something about that. I know when I played MM I never saw a triforce through the whole game.

B

BlindZelda

I think your right about the different dimension thing. I know I read up on something before that said something about that. I know when I played MM I never saw a triforce through the whole game.
Yes, they never had the Triforce. Tremina was a different world. I believe it was a imanganation, as it had the same tribes as Hyrule had (Zora's, and Gorons).
The reason why the never had the Triforce was because Tremina worshiped different Gods. Hyrule worshiped 3, when Tremina worshiped 4. The triforce is 3 pieces, and 3 gods of Hyrule.
Anyhow, I also learned that Tremina, in a different language, means "He ends", "She Ends", or "They end".

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I still think it's Navi. Just makes more sense to me since Saria would either be in Kokiri Village or "the usual spot" (infront of the Forest Temple). As for the ending where it plays Saria's Song I thought that was just because that's how Link and the Skull Kid knew eachother in the first game (you get a heart piece for playing it to the lone skull kid in the forest) so I thought it was kind of an emphesis on how the two are then friends.

As for the Triforce thing, not saying anyone is wrong on they're theories of Termina, but I recall there being a Triforce symbol under each one of the Stone Tower Temple blocks when you flipped the world outside ofthe temple. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong...

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
You are remembering correctly and I to also think it's Navi and about the Skull Kid I recall his line before you the credits being "You have the smell as the fairy kid who tought me that song in the woods" which supports the whole same Skull Kid Theory and is general accepted because of the evidence I've just used.

I personally think that they made it on purpose and link is looking whoever you want him to be looking for so maybe not even the developers know xD

@BlindZelda: Termina at least in spanish holds resemblance to the word ''terminar'' and various other variations and the word has to do with ending something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom