• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Help

A general discussion for all things related to Majora's Mask.
Can anyone help me out? I don't want to resort to strategy guide or online guides as I consider it cheating. Trying to find the Deku princess in Woodfall but it looks like I may need a bow and arrow to shoot an eye plaque but haven't a clue where I can find it. Been screqing around with this for about 2 months, only just realised that you can slow down time!

Solution
Can anyone help me out? I don't want to resort to strategy guide or online guides as I consider it cheating. Trying to find the Deku princess in Woodfall but it looks like I may need a bow and arrow to shoot an eye plaque but haven't a clue where I can find it. Been screqing around with this for about 2 months, only just realised that you can slow down time!
The Bow and Arrow can be found within Woodfall Temple

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
The Bow and Arrow can be found within Woodfall Temple

Solution
No problem! Ask whenever you need it and we'll try to help you here at ZD ^^
Many thanks. I did find it just after you replied; sometimes it's just the knowing that you aren't completely off course is all that is needed to look a little further with confidence where you are. Much appreciated

I really don't see how this is meant to be a childs game. I'm not the most dedicated gamer but unless you have some kind of help? I suppose it is the nature of being a retro gamer; it is a very lonely journey, with all of todays peers playing the latest games. I just can't leave the originals unvisited, it is almost a religious requirement. And I believe old games to be of superior charm and integrity, though I haven't played any new games that are new at the time since about 2003!

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
Yeah, it can be a bit obtuse, MM especially since it's rather different within it's formula. Yes, it's full of the standards like the puzzles, & trade chains, but also has far more focus on learning & remembering what the characters need & an extremely strong emphasis on learning schedules & note taking. I recall really struggling as a kid because you were expected to intuit things like the schedules, or talk to everyone repeatedly to figure out what they wanted, depending on which day it was. I think many get very intimidated since they assume it needs to be all done in 3 days on the first go, when, absolutely not- and the game does not tell you that you're expected to take many rewinds.

Example: I'm fairly certain he DOES mention it, but I remember feeling so frustrated that the first Deku Merchant wanted the Moon Tear & I just did not know what to do with that thing when I finally got it (granted, I was very young, so I probably just missed it from reading). So I repeated it a lot since I'd find it, then not know where to take it since I didn't talk with him again to note that he wanted it? That said, a ton you just... organically figure out over time, & MM has a lot of "Oh!" moments with that once it clicks. That can be very satisfying. There's of course a few nonsense moments, such as leaps of faith, but overall it's a very good game if you're just willing to note everything & pay attention on each day. It can be revealing just to start a new loop & see what happens if you DON'T do certain things, sometimes.

I honestly sort of miss the days where games would just not tell you anything & you're meant to organically figure it out without built-in guides or pop-ups that jump in far too quickly (looking at you, Fi). A lot of games today frankly have to beat tutorials in over your head since they just have complex mechanics, & that's fine, but, it really takes me out of it. I think this is why some modern gamers really got hooked on stuff like Dark Souls, which, while I don't agree with some parts of the game design- it does feel GREAT when you do figure out stuff, puzzles & lore or otherwise.

I'm really debating on just reverting to the strategy guide, which is after all an official Nintendo publication, but like you say about those moments when you get the reward of sussing it out on your own; I don't want to miss out on the Eureka! moments, which really personalise the experience of the game and involve you in it. Speaking of 'leaps of faith'; one such was in the Deku temple when Link leaps accross the platforms to get to the next level of the maze; it took me ages to figure it out, but to see that leap was really dramatic, almost an FMV, it made it worthwhile. It is just frustrating me going round and round in circles over and over again. It is the highlight of my week playing it for one hour at a time, so it is taking me weeks at a time to solve one puzzle

I'm currently in the Snow village wilh Darmani's mask, trying to figure out how to get across the pass with that giant floating goron blowing a blizzard that just can't be got past, finding something to feed the goron in the snow village, finding some hot water to melt the ice in the shop, or find the village elder to bring back to the crying baby Goron. Been on this bit for 3 weeks now, so it's kind of taking the joy out of it when I don't seem to be getting anywhere and yet have so much of the game yet to go before I am near completion! I've been studying last year, which has admittedly slowed me down, but I don't want to throw in the towel and use a guide; it just feels like cheating! I looked up how to defeat Gannon at the end of Ocarina in 2013 and it just felt like I would have got so much more elation if I'd have just continued trying to figure it out

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'm currently in the Snow village wilh Darmani's mask, trying to figure out how to get across the pass with that giant floating goron blowing a blizzard that just can't be got past, finding something to feed the goron in the snow village, finding some hot water to melt the ice in the shop, or find the village elder to bring back to the crying baby Goron.
Let me just say this: You can't get across the pass where Biggoron is creating a blizzard until you've found the Goron Elder, so no need to waste your time over there until later.
If you've made it over to that area to begin with, I assume you've already gotten the Goron Mask, so let's just say that there could be some Hot Spring Water near where you got that.
Last but not least, feeding the hungry goron is an optional side quest that is quite complicated, and you can't really start it until you've dealt with the crying baby goron. The first step of it has to do with the torches in the Goron Shrine ^^

Let me just say this: You can't get across the pass where Biggoron is creating a blizzard until you've found the Goron Elder, so no need to waste your time over there until later.
If you've made it over to that area to begin with, I assume you've already gotten the Goron Mask, so let's just say that there could be some Hot Spring Water near where you got that.
Last but not least, feeding the hungry goron is an optional side quest that is quite complicated, and you can't really start it until you've dealt with the crying baby goron. The first step of it has to do with the torches in the Goron Shrine ^^
Many thanks for your feedback @VikzeLink, I did wager that that chasm couldn't be gotten across with that giant 'Biggoron' there blowing gale force winds at you. It can be hard to differentiate what is side quest and what is part of the main plot at times. Spent a long time trying to get Kafei's mask etc. Have been looking high and low for that hot spring as the guy in the snow village shop said. Thanks for your guidance, at least now I can be sure that is what I need to do next, so I'm not prying it at 3 different angles

I thought that those torches would need to be lit at some point. Is it me or is this a really hard game? As said before, I have been doing a great deal of work and study in the last year, but I don't remember Ocarina of Time being this hard. Much appreciated to you fellow Hyruleans for taking the time to help, I really don't want to resort to looking up the answers, even in the strategy guide, as I find it spoils the personalisation of the adventure. There is just something about that dopamine rush you get when you figure it out after banging your head against a brick wall about it, that it just wouldn't be the same experience without, like it's not as worthwhile. I think when I used to play games, my friends were able to nudge me in the right direction, but I am now so far steeped in the past, even those who played the games wouldn't be able to remember that far back. PS3 is newest console, and I can't see the day in sight when I will have accomplished all of my retro game goals so as to require a newer console. Many thanks, much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom