• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora, Male or Female?

I'm sure I've heard this before, but, doesn't everyone agree that Majora is female?
I was reading the walkthrough, and she's refered to as a "he". But I think the mask takes a very female twist in the final battle. The demon makes female noises and grunts when hurt, in fact, I think they were the same as the noises the Twirnova merge make when you're fighting with them in OoT.

So, do you think of Majora as a "he" or a "she"? Or do you simply consider Majora to be an "it", neither female or male, or maybe both at the same time.

I just finished fighting Majora, and I consider it to be a she. The way she moves, the noises she makes, pretty much comes of as a "she" to me.

Also, I'm not sure if this theory is correct, but if Majora was in fact found by the residents of Ikana when they were directed to hell instead of heaven (when they were actually trying to reach heaven and the stone tower was flipped to hell), then they may have been confused and, as the demon was female, they still thought it was a goddess, which would be why they worshiped her and placed carvings of her face in temples.

Notice how the two eyes are strategically placed where breasts would be placed (and they quite look like them too). And well, look on the lower area, doesn't exactly look like the male parts of a body, resembles more of a females.

hdgf.jpg

(If you think the way in which the body is layed out -the eyes looking like breasts, the lower part actually cutting in instead of sticking out- is just mere coincidence, I think it's important to point out the fact that, despite superficial appearances, Majora's Mask is a very mature game, going from the storyline to other aspects which are not easy to see unless you pay attention and are old enough to understand, such as how the triforce is placed covering the genitalia on the big blocks in Ikana and the Stone Tower)

bds1110

Imp
I'm guessing you're meaning the demon sealed inside the mask, and not the mask itself? Remember, the mask is just an ordinary mask if you take out the demon. I agree that in the boss battle, it seems much more like a she, but if it was sealed inside of a more manly mask, most people would consider it to be a male. This is the reason why I prefer the term "It".

bigflyingpotato

Watch out!
Lately I've been referring to Majora as a she, and the mask along with her. It is an inanimate object, but it talks, so why not. Pretty much for the reasons you mentioned, also because I've never come across a male name ending in A.

I call Majora an 'it', but I beleive it is both male and female. If you look at the mask, you can see eight things hanging off the side of it. Four different colors representing them (the Giants, not 'them'). And ofcaorse, there is the eye thing. I also do beleive the stone tower theory. It seems very plausable in my opinoin, so I do not think Majora is a deamon. I think of it more as a... Angent of the Gods. Feirce Deity is the Devil. In the original japanease game, they said you will be the devil, but that sounds similer to a game in japanease, Tag, but that is not the case, but it was mistranslated into tag in the english version.

I'm guessing you're meaning the demon sealed inside the mask, and not the mask itself? Remember, the mask is just an ordinary mask if you take out the demon. I agree that in the boss battle, it seems much more like a she, but if it was sealed inside of a more manly mask, most people would consider it to be a male. This is the reason why I prefer the term "It".

Yeah, the demon inside the mask. Though well, for most of the game, this mask has the spirit of the demon inside of it all along, so we could consider it to be an entity as a whole.

I always saw the mask as being male-ish really. It's the body form that makes me think it's female.
And I think that the way the mask is layed out on the body of Majora's Wrath is important, as that's what it looked like originally, before the mask appeared I'd guess. I don't know if that makes sense lmao... but obviously the mask gained it's appearance from what the original demon looked like. So yeah, the fact that the way in which the mask is layed out kind of depicts breasts on the body isn't just coincidence.

I'm so sure the screams it makes in it's wrath form is the noises taken from the Twinrova merge in OoT. I wish I could compare them, but I think they're the same.
Though people may say "oh it was just lazy recycling", though I doubt it, cuz they made new noises for a lot of stuff, how hard could it be for Majora, especially being a main character. And even if it was recycled, it'd be the noise that originally came from a female boss, so that suggests quite a bit

bds1110

Imp
Yeah, the demon inside the mask. Though well, for most of the game, this mask has the spirit of the demon inside of it all along, so we could consider it to be an entity as a whole.

I always saw the mask as being male-ish really. It's the body form that makes me think it's female.
And I think that the way the mask is layed out on the body of Majora's Wrath is important, as that's what it looked like originally, before the mask appeared I'd guess. I don't know if that makes sense lmao... but obviously the mask gained it's appearance from what the original demon looked like. So yeah, the fact that the way in which the mask is layed out kind of depicts breasts on the body isn't just coincidence.

I'm so sure the screams it makes in it's wrath form is the noises taken from the Twinrova merge in OoT. I wish I could compare them, but I think they're the same.
Though people may say "oh it was just lazy recycling", though I doubt it, cuz they made new noises for a lot of stuff, how hard could it be for Majora, especially being a main character. And even if it was recycled, it'd be the noise that originally came from a female boss, so that suggests quite a bit

I would like to compare the two as well, but I can't remember what the Twinrova noise sounded like. I am in the Spirit Temple on my current OoT file though, so when I fight the boss I will be sure to pay attention. ;)

I call Majora an 'it', but I beleive it is both male and female. If you look at the mask, you can see eight things hanging off the side of it. Four different colors representing them (the Giants, not 'them'). And ofcaorse, there is the eye thing. I also do beleive the stone tower theory. It seems very plausable in my opinoin, so I do not think Majora is a deamon. I think of it more as a... Angent of the Gods. Feirce Deity is the Devil. In the original japanease game, they said you will be the devil, but that sounds similer to a game in japanease, Tag, but that is not the case, but it was mistranslated into tag in the english version.

Sorry, I don't quite get your post.

Yeah, the mask has the different colours of each giant on it's different spikes, the red, blue, yellow and green. So you're saying the mask was crafted by people to worship them (the giants)?

I also didn't get the Tag part xD

bds1110

Imp
Sorry, I don't quite get your post.

Yeah, the mask has the different colours of each giant on it's different spikes, the red, blue, yellow and green. So you're saying the mask was crafted by people to worship them (the giants)?

I also didn't get the Tag part xD

I don't really wuite get the post either. But I never thought that the colors on the horns were symbolizing the giants/where they are. Swamp, Mountain, Ocean, Canyon. Green, red, (Or is mountain something else?) blue, yellow. I can't believe I didn't realize that. XD

No, I meant Majora is created by the Goddesses to turn over the Stone Tower for them. Have you watched a show called 'Legend of the Seaker'? It is kind of like LoZ, I think it is slightly influenced by it. In that show, the leader of the underworld, the keeper, is limitless but stuck in the underworld. So, he revives the dead and tell them what to do. But, i think that is the case with majora except, the keeper is the goddesses, Majora was not alive before this, and they are on the side of good, not evil. Now the Feirce Deity might be a referance to the bible's devil. He, with the help with Ikana, tried to reach heaven and claim it as their own, kind of like the Hanging Gaurdens of Babalon. And as for the hangers, if you go to the Babal Stone Tower theory, you will understand. But be ware, the theory is PG13-only!

We've had threads on this before, but if I'm not mistaken it's been a while so I guess it's time for a new one. :)

Also, I'm not sure if this theory is correct, but if Majora was in fact found by the residents of Ikana when they were directed to hell instead of heaven (when they were actually trying to reach heaven and the stone tower was flipped to hell), then they may have been confused and, as the demon was female, they still thought it was a goddess, which would be why they worshiped her and placed carvings of her face in temples.
That is nothing more than a theory. And it is disproven by a few facts. A "Dark Tribe" used Majora's Mask in the past (they are not said to have made it). We don't know who they were but the "Dark Tribe" (maybe the same one or just a reuse of the term) has been mentioned in earlier games. Moving on... The mask was "sealed in darkness" because the tribe feared its power. The Happy Mask Salesman had heard of the mask and sought it out, and then it was stolen by the Skull Kid. So no, the Ikanians did not uncover the mask.

Notice how the two eyes are strategically placed where breasts would be placed (and they quite look like them too). And well, look on the lower area, doesn't exactly look like the male parts of a body, resembles more of a females.
I really think both of these points are moot. The entire torso is constructed from the shape of the mask, so whatever it looks like basically has to be coincidence. As for the crotch area, keep in mind that they're keeping it flat to avoid it being obscene. Male crotches are not flat, while female ones are. So it's like taking something that was forced to be the way it was and using it as evidence.

(If you think the way in which the body is layed out -the eyes looking like breasts, the lower part actually cutting in instead of sticking out- is just mere coincidence, I think it's important to point out the fact that, despite superficial appearances, Majora's Mask is a very mature game, going from the storyline to other aspects which are not easy to see unless you pay attention and are old enough to understand, such as how the triforce is placed covering the genitalia on the big blocks in Ikana and the Stone Tower)
I know about these mature themes (although be aware a lot of them are speculative, even if they are solid speculation). However, in defense of Majora being male...

* His physique, aside from the flat crotch, is very masculine. He/she has a lot of muscles.
* Majora is obviously a creature. Due to this, I don't think you can be certain the voice means anything. Loads of male creatures have been given incredibly high pitched voices. Besides, the voice doesn't sound so much feminine to me as horrible and shrieking.

Lately I've been referring to Majora as a she, and the mask along with her. It is an inanimate object, but it talks, so why not. Pretty much for the reasons you mentioned, also because I've never come across a male name ending in A.
Majora is probably not only an inanimate object. It's probable considering the usage of the term "incarnation" for his second form that he's an entity sealed inside a mask. Most people thing it's a demon.

And there are male names that end in A. Majora is a western female name, but the Japanese don't seem to care much about the genders of names and I believe it originally had a different name in Japan that wasn't based on Majora so it's likely the name doesn't mean anything.

All in all, I think Majora is male. With fiction, it tends to be that characters are male by default. If a character is female, they make it clear. This is classic with anime in which they have a character who is masked. The gender can not be discerned, and you're meant to assume they are male but are in fact females in secret. The same principle applies here I think: It's only female if it's obvious or MADE obvious by the end. If it was meant to be female they would have made it more clear at some point, but they never did.

* His physique, aside from the flat crotch, is very masculine. He/she has a lot of muscles.
* Majora is obviously a creature. Due to this, I don't think you can be certain the voice means anything. Loads of male creatures have been given incredibly high pitched voices. Besides, the voice doesn't sound so much feminine to me as horrible and shrieking.

I don't know if you can see by the picture as it's too small, though the original one was larger, I can try find the link, it seems as if it's not flat, it actually goes in, in a V shape. If you just google Majora's Wrath, the pic is there in a bigger size, it may just be bad graphics, but it does seem as if it goes in.

And yes, Majora's Wrath does have quite a muscly body, but lets not forget that Impa is pretty muscular by the looks of it as well, and is female.
So although muscles are usually used to represent the male body, it may not be the case as much in these games. They may be used more to represent strength over gender.

And yeah, the noise it makes may not be the biggest piece of evidence ever, but they do lean to be female like voices in the grunts it makes when hit, I just played it, I remember. Had it been thought in mind to be male, why not use manlier grunts? I'm about to play Twinrova now, see if the grunts are actually the same, lmao.

And also the moves it makes, look female-ish, the spins and such. But well.

-off to kill twinrova-

Hmm, twinrova's is a very moany noise... gonna play against majora now...

Last edited:
I don't know if you can see by the picture as it's too small, though the original one was larger, I can try find the link, it seems as if it's not flat, it actually goes in, in a V shape. If you just google Majora's Wrath, the pic is there in a bigger size, it may just be bad graphics, but it does seem as if it goes in.
Maybe, but I can pretty much guarantee you they weren't intending to obscenely depict genitals, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean anything.

And yes, Majora's Wrath does have quite a muscly body, but lets not forget that Impa is pretty muscular by the looks of it as well, and is female.
So although muscles are usually used to represent the male body, it may not be the case as much in these games. They may be used more to represent strength over gender.
True, but not that while Impa does have muscles, she still looks feminine. Majora doesn't appear this way to me. It looks almost buff sometimes.

And yeah, the noise it makes may not be the biggest piece of evidence ever, but they do lean to be female like voices in the grunts it makes when hit, I just played it, I remember. Had it been thought in mind to be male, why not use manlier grunts? I'm about to play Twinrova now, see if the grunts are actually the same, lmao.

And also the moves it makes, look female-ish, the spins and such. But well.

-off to kill twinrova-

Hmm, twinrova's is a very moany noise... gonna play against majora now...
The Japanese VERY COMMONLY associate feminine traits to male villains. The quality of being male but also being feminine is supposed to enhance the creepy aspect of the character. This is part of their culture and I believe it has carried over here. I also think the high-pitched voice was chosen for a few reasons:

* Ganon is deep voiced, so it would be old to have it again for a new villain.
* Majora was a creature. A very human voice would have been weird.
* A high-pitched shrieking voice goes good with Majora's insane, chaotic feel. I think a deep voice would have sucked completely regardless of gender.

And I can guarantee you Twinrova and Majora have completely different sounds. ;)

Hm nah, I just played against Majora, it's not the same. Though they make similar moaning noises when Majora is stunned/Twinrova is hit by a sword.
Nice way to waste a whole hour! xD

Yeah, you make good points Axle.
Well, either way, it's never refered to as a he or she I believe, so it's better to leave it at "it".
But we can't go for the must be male thing just because of Japanase anime and all... I get it's created by Japanese and has strong influnces from it of course, but it's also worked on by americans, idk.

What we're presented with, makes it look like a she, from body movements to the noises it makes.
It looks female in the incarnation phase. Not muscly then, so well...
Complicated stuff ;o;
I'm off to bed :D

Wait, wait! Axle, how do you know Majora was not originaly human? I am not saying I think this or she/he/it is, but I am saying do not role that out immediatly.
I suppose that's possible, although I personally support the theory that Majora is a demon, since it's clear he was worshiped in Stone Tower Temple.

Even if he was human though, it's clear by now that he's become an monstrous entity and has lost his humanity, so my points still stand.

Hm nah, I just played against Majora, it's not the same. Though they make similar moaning noises when Majora is stunned/Twinrova is hit by a sword.
Nice way to waste a whole hour! xD
Yeah... I couldn't remember exactly how they both sounded but I was pretty sure they were different.

And yeah, best to refer to him as an it (although male pronouns are still used when there is no gender... they're the generic pronouns :P ). I still think if there is a gender, it's a lot more probable it's male, but I think it's possible he's just genderless. I can pretty much guarantee you he can't have sex, so for all intents and purposes he is genderless in that case as genders only exist because of reproduction.

The Zelda series is created in Japan. Nintendo has offices in America but the creation of Zelda is Japanese. Regardless, I know it's not absolute, I'm just saying these are a LOT of things that lean towards male.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom