• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora, Male or Female?

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
Other than the physique of Majora's wrath/incarnation and the feminine noises it/she/he makes, the only other evidence that comes to mind is the name. It's very rare to find a male with an "A" at the end of the name. If you think about it, almost all names ending with "A" are names for women. Carla, Anna, Tara, etc. Even names in the Zelda series follow the same pattern: Tetra, Zelda, Gohma, Twinrova, Telma, etc. The name alone is enough to assume that Majora is a female. That is, if Majora is a life form and not an inanimate object.

Last edited:
I suppose that's possible, although I personally support the theory that Majora is a demon, since it's clear he was worshiped in Stone Tower Temple.
What if he was denied in the temple? Like what I mean is, what if they 'punish' the statue of him/her/it? That is what I alwayes though...
...but I think it's possible he's just genderless...
Hmm, I kind of like the sound of that and it seems plausable to this point. An undergendered villian, interesting!

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I class Majora as an 'it' for the simple fact that it's the living incarnation of a mask which in itself has no gender.

When it comes to the sounds? Just because one sounds like a particular gender doesn't necessarily mean that they're of that gender at all. This wouldn't be the first time that a character with a 'female' voice is genderless.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Well, I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, and I don't really want to take this conversation beyond a PG-13 environment, but speaking in a professional manner, the word "Majora" itself is partly in the name given to an area of the vagina, "Labia Majora."
I'm not quite sure if this was intentional or not, but if it was indeed intentional then I think it would be safe to assume that Majora is in fact female.
I'm sure the eye-breasts conversation has been brought up before, but if you look in the pelvis area then you can see two ovals that could very well represent ovaries.
content

Though, I think the vagina part of this picture could just be the cause of limited graphics back then, rather than something intentional.

Personally, I always believed that Majora was a female, but that's just my opinion.

T

treebeast

majora isnt a gender its really a liittle evil thing or monster, controlling poor skull kid. if it was a gender i would start laughing

I'm sure I've heard this before, but, doesn't everyone agree that Majora is female?
I was reading the walkthrough, and she's refered to as a "he". But I think the mask takes a very female twist in the final battle. The demon makes female noises and grunts when hurt, in fact, I think they were the same as the noises the Twirnova merge make when you're fighting with them in OoT.

So, do you think of Majora as a "he" or a "she"? Or do you simply consider Majora to be an "it", neither female or male, or maybe both at the same time.

I just finished fighting Majora, and I consider it to be a she. The way she moves, the noises she makes, pretty much comes of as a "she" to me.

Also, I'm not sure if this theory is correct, but if Majora was in fact found by the residents of Ikana when they were directed to hell instead of heaven (when they were actually trying to reach heaven and the stone tower was flipped to hell), then they may have been confused and, as the demon was female, they still thought it was a goddess, which would be why they worshiped her and placed carvings of her face in temples.

Notice how the two eyes are strategically placed where breasts would be placed (and they quite look like them too). And well, look on the lower area, doesn't exactly look like the male parts of a body, resembles more of a females.

View attachment 6506

(If you think the way in which the body is layed out -the eyes looking like breasts, the lower part actually cutting in instead of sticking out- is just mere coincidence, I think it's important to point out the fact that, despite superficial appearances, Majora's Mask is a very mature game, going from the storyline to other aspects which are not easy to see unless you pay attention and are old enough to understand, such as how the triforce is placed covering the genitalia on the big blocks in Ikana and the Stone Tower)

You mentioned that Majora clearly doesn't have anyting that resembles the male genitalia. I doubt that Nintendo would have been bold enough to give Majora anything that suggests the male genitalia, even something such as a bulge. I don't think that Nintendo strategically placed the eyes to resemble a woman's breasts either, it's more likely that Nintendo wanted to include the Masks eyes on the demon's body.

In the last paragraph, you state that Majora's Mask is a mature game. Be that as it is, but if I remember correctly, Majora's Mask doesn't have an age rating, therefore Nintendo would need to design the game to be fitting for all age groups that decide they wish to play the game. I don't believe that Nintendo would have been bold enough to give Majora features that resemble those of a woman's genitalia. A woman's crotch doesn't really cut in either, they just don't have the prominent bulge that a man does.

The grunting noises that you spoke about don't mean anything in my opinion, as I have played many games, read many books, and watched many films in which a male human/beast/demon...etc, has let out a high pitched scream after being struck hard by something.

I am sure that Majora is stated to be a demon. In my opinion, demon's don't actually have a gender, despite their looks. I see demon's as something is just pure darkness, nothing else, who's goal is just to cause chaos, pain and destruction. Thus, I believe Majora to be a being that is genderless, although most people across the internet most likely refer to Majora as being a he or she.

I bet that some people would argue that Majora is a male because of it's name sounding more masculine than it is femenine, or that Majora's face looks like that of a man. There are valid arguments for either side of the gender argument, but nothing that is strong enough to prove that Majora is a male or female. Infact, the fact both sides have an argument points towards Majora either being genderless or a hermaphrodite in my eyes, but I think the former is much more likely.

Finally, nothing states Majora has a gender in the game either, not that I can remember anyway. If there is, someone please correct me on that, but if there was I don't think that you would have made this thread. I'm not saying that you are wrong, since I have just used all your points to put forward my argument. It's just that in threads like this I like just like to use others opinions to mold my own post and opinions around, after all, you could be very well correct. :)

Last edited:

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
Majora's Mask doesn't have an age rating

Actually where I live Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time are rated 12+, the same as Twilight Princess <.< (A nice bit of random info there)

But anyway, I have always called Majora a she. Mainly because of the name (I never really take a proper look at the things I am about to kill <.<). I can't really think of a male name with an 'a' at the end....
The eye-breasts thing is probably just because they used the actual mask as the body for it's incarnations, or it might be intentional. We may never know.

Although when you look at Majora's Wrath's body it looks more like a male's body than a female's.....
Maybe I will have to start calling Majora a he....

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I tend to think of Majora as an "it," because Majora comes across to me as an entity of concentrated chaos, rather than a male or female demon. I see Majora as more of an asexual entity, that, for the most part, exhibits neither male nor female traits.

Other than the physique of Majora's wrath/incarnation and the feminine noises it/she/he makes, the only other evidence that comes to mind is the name. It's very rare to find a male with an "A" at the end of the name. If you think about it, almost all names ending with "A" are names for women. Carla, Anna, Tara, etc. Even names in the Zelda series follow the same pattern: Tetra, Zelda, Gohma, Twinrova, Telma, etc. The name alone is enough to assume that Majora is a female. That is, if Majora is a life form and not an inanimate object.
"Abba" "Sora" "Elijah"...

Once you get into other cultures, male name that end in A become more common. Remember that Zelda has always pooled themes from many cultures. Anyway, Zelda has had loads of bizarre names. "Tingle", for example. I don't think the name is something that should be taken so seriously, as it is only a name.

What if he was denied in the temple? Like what I mean is, what if they 'punish' the statue of him/her/it? That is what I alwayes though...
The imagery in Stone Tower Temple implies worship, not punishment. They are not statues like you description, but decoration. You don't use something you consider bad for decoration.

I class Majora as an 'it' for the simple fact that it's the living incarnation of a mask which in itself has no gender.

When it comes to the sounds? Just because one sounds like a particular gender doesn't necessarily mean that they're of that gender at all. This wouldn't be the first time that a character with a 'female' voice is genderless.
It's incredibly like although not 100% proven that the mask is only a vessel for another entity. Either way, that entity could still be genderless.

Exactly. Especially in Japanese stuff females often do voices for male characters so it's not too significant of a point either.

Well, I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, and I don't really want to take this conversation beyond a PG-13 environment, but speaking in a professional manner, the word "Majora" itself is partly in the name given to an area of the vagina, "Labia Majora."
I'm not quite sure if this was intentional or not, but if it was indeed intentional then I think it would be safe to assume that Majora is in fact female.
I'm sure the eye-breasts conversation has been brought up before, but if you look in the pelvis area then you can see two ovals that could very well represent ovaries.
content

Though, I think the vagina part of this picture could just be the cause of limited graphics back then, rather than something intentional.

Personally, I always believed that Majora was a female, but that's just my opinion.
Majora is a real name I believe, so I think your assumption is mostly coincidental. Besides, there's no way they used that when naming Majora, as that's very mature. Either way, Majora's body is decorative, that's clear. I don't think you should take all the patterns on its body too seriously as a lot of them are ornate. I don't see why one should assume some of them aren't.

As I posted before, the "breasts" are nonexistent. Those are the mask's eyes, and the form Majora takes is clearly (they show it happening) a morph from the mask. The mask is basically still there in the form of its torso.

I am sure that Majora is stated to be a demon. In my opinion, demon's don't actually have a gender, despite their looks. I see demon's as something is just pure darkness, nothing else, who's goal is just to cause chaos, pain and destruction. Thus, I believe Majora to be a being that is genderless, although most people across the internet most likely refer to Majora as being a he or she.

I bet that some people would argue that Majora is a male because of it's name sounding more masculine than it is femenine, or that Majora's face looks like that of a man. There are valid arguments for either side of the gender argument, but nothing that is strong enough to prove that Majora is a male or female. Infact, the fact both sides have an argument points towards Majora either being genderless or a hermaphrodite in my eyes, but I think the former is much more likely.

Finally, nothing states Majora has a gender in the game either, not that I can remember anyway. If there is, someone please correct me on that, but if there was I don't think that you would have made this thread. I'm not saying that you are wrong, since I have just used all your points to put forward my argument. It's just that in threads like this I like just like to use others opinions to mold my own post and opinions around, after all, you could be very well correct. :)
Well, you're basically right be default. Majora is obviously an entity beyond just a monster/animal or a person, so I do not believe he can reproduce. Without reproduction, essentially he/she is genderless. So he's automatically without a gender. The thing is most genderless characters still have either male or female appearances, sounds, and behavior. That's what we're really discussing here, I think.

Majora is never STATED to be a demon. That is, however, an incredibly strong and plausible theory. We know Majora was worshiped in Stone Tower Temple, and that implies to me either its a god or a demon. I don't think its a god (who does?).

Another thing about Majora is that his goals, behavior, and actions are largely masculine. Most female villains are typically about manipulation of power rather than exertion of it, and Majora does a lot of exerting power. His traits are male-dominated.

Additionally, regarding his high-pitched voice and prancing/feminine moves... He was basically themed like a jester. If you take into account his colors and everything, I think that's obvious. He even laughed constantly. In the second battle he was very obviously clown-like, and this even carried over somewhat to his more sinister third form. Dancing, high-pitched voices, etc., are all common traits for clown-like characters, so that's more reason why they're both moot points. Also, for the record, I've never heard of a female jester character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom