• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Main Villian Idea!

Just had an idea for the main villain of this game that I would really enjoy seeing, would be different, and would be a very interesting story that could also incorporate ALttP. So, I was interested in getting the opinions of others and hear what you thought of the idea.

To start....the game would provide some backstory into the life of the Link from ALttP. We come to find out that after receiving the Triforce, ALttP-Link (Pink-haired Link), was slowly "poisoned" by the power from the Triforce. He was initially a legend and held up as a hero amongst all of Hyrule, but over many years he began to slowly turn away from society and become more and more isolated. As the years passed, the adulation he received became less and more infrequent, and this only perpetuated his "turn" and helped cause this fall into hopelessness. The power of the Triforce manipulated his desires, and he wanted to regain that feeling of power he had previously had, but was never able to make it happen. We (the players) eventually come to find out his last days were spent deep in the caves of Death Mtn., and he presumably died alone.

***The way the backstory is presented is key, because they could easily do it in a single moment with a cut-scene prior to the beginning of the game. However, I think it would be more interesting if they allowed the player to figure out this backstory as they progress throught the game. Either through conversations with different NPCs, writings in books or on walls, or some other exploration-based mechanism.

Next....the true final villain of the game is never revealed until the moments immediately before the final battle. The game makes us believe that all the evil happening in Hyrule is controlled by a powerful Dark Link (a homage to AoL and other reincarnations of Dark Link) that was created or released in some way. So, we battle Dark Link and he is finally defeated. However, at that moment, Dark Link changes into our Link...and he looks identical in every way, except...he has pink hair. This Link then goes into a short speech into how he arrived at this moment (to close and bookend the previous backstory we had uncovered), and we find out that ALttP-Link is actually the final/main villain.

Any thoughts?

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
*sigh* I doubt the villain will be ALttP Link, I personally think the main villain should the fallen OoT Link, it just makes more sense, trust me. And also, as I've said countless times, I know that Nintendo has said in the past that ALBW will set after ALttP, but I doubt this mostly because of:

1) The Artwork with the Hylian Shield and the Master Sword (as seen from OoT not ALttP)

2) Dark world is present

3) The title and the Logo

4) The game's style seems like to me to be based on a mix between OoT 3D and ALttP as it use the same game engine as OoT 3D and even the Light overworld music is a mix of both ALttP's Lightworld music and OoT's Hyrule field music.

5) the Lumberjack tree is still in one piece.

I personally still think this game will actually set before ALttP during the Imprisoning War as I've explained here:

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f119/affecting-timeline-44078.html#post761074

Anyways, that's all I have to say for now, I'm tired :tired:

Thank you for your input, Vita.

However, one thing I want to make clear is this is NOT a theory into what I think the story will be for ALBW. I have no idea what the story will be. I just thought this might be an interesting storyline to connect the two games together and provide a new type of enemy.

To address your points though....things such as artwork, logos, and gameplay have never been an indicator of timeline placement in the past; so I'm not really sure why those small details would override what has been specifically stated by the developers.

With respect to the Dark World being present, if my proposed storyline was true the "fall" of ALttP Link could easily explain the creation of a NEW Dark World.

All I can say about the lumberjack tree being present is that trees can be replanted and grow back. Doesn't seem significant at all.

*sigh* I doubt the villain will be ALttP Link, I personally think the main villain should the fallen OoT Link, it just makes more sense, trust me. And also, as I've said countless times, I know that Nintendo has said in the past that ALBW will set after ALttP, but I doubt this mostly because of:

1) The Artwork with the Hylian Shield and the Master Sword (as seen from OoT not ALttP)

2) Dark world is present

3) The title and the Logo

4) The game's style seems like to me to be based on a mix between OoT 3D and ALttP as it use the same game engine as OoT 3D and even the Light overworld music is a mix of both ALttP's Lightworld music and OoT's Hyrule field music.

5) the Lumberjack tree is still in one piece.
1 the master sword is the same master sword in every game the art style won't change that fact even if it looks different and the shield is hardly anything to go by
2 the dark worlds presence confuses me but this is a video game Nintendo can do anything with a bit of explanaition
3 There is no evidence there you're going too deep into this
4 the games style is of no relevance what so ever
5 The game is set more than 100 years after ALttP the tree could easily have been replaced!

cool Idea BamaLynx but sadly I think they might just bring Ganon back

Salem

SICK
The game's style seems like to me to be based on a mix between OoT 3D and ALttP as it use the same game engine as OoT 3D and even the Light overworld music is a mix of both ALttP's Lightworld music and OoT's Hyrule field music.
Same engine? mix of music? Please explain that to me.

Dark world is present

I just finished the swamp palace in ALttP again. the maiden there says this " the triforce grants the wishes of those who touch it for as long as they live" So the previous link is dead and so the dark world can be reopened if they bring back ganondorf (which they inevitably will).
sorry BamaLynx looks like your Idea will never come about :sad:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
It's certainly interesting but I don't know. I'd feel a bit betrayed if we had to fight one of my favorite Links in the timeline :(

And also if ALttP Link was balanced and morally sound enough to have his wishes granted it'd be hard to explain how he could be corrupted. And it'd have to explain how he got home after his adventure on Koholint

Salem

SICK
I just finished the swamp palace in ALttP again. the maiden there says this " the triforce grants the wishes of those who touch it for as long as they live" So the previous link is dead and so the dark world can be reopened if they bring back ganondorf (which they inevitably will).
sorry BamaLynx looks like your Idea will never come about :sad:
Honestly, I fin this the best argument for the dark world coming back and it explain why this game has to have a different Link from the alttp one(besides the supposedly 100s of years passing), even though I preferred it to have the same Link.

A fallen Link doesn't sound good to me.
Same here.

It's certainly interesting but I don't know. I'd feel a bit betrayed if we had to fight one of my favorite Links in the timeline :(

And also if ALttP Link was balanced and morally sound enough to have his wishes granted it'd be hard to explain how he could be corrupted. And it'd have to explain how he got home after his adventure on Koholint
Yeah, if he became evil or something, it better have a GOOD explanation, he's my favourite Link as well.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
why some people can't realize that game boy link does not canonically have pink hair i won't understand

I think you mean SNES/GBA Link (ALttP Link). Gameboy Link (OoX/LA Link) is a different Link cause Zelda acts like she just met him for first time and doesn't recognize him in OoX. Plus to mention Gameboy Link (OoX/LA Link) never had pink hair in-game, he had black hair in game.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
VitaTempusN92 said:
And also, as I've said countless times, I know that Nintendo has said in the past that ALBW will set after ALttP, but I doubt this mostly because of:
Well given the countless quotes from developers, here's a Link that should finally settle this argument, Bill Trinen basically says that this game is "after", but he also mentions the time in between. I think it's set in concrete now, A Link Between Wolrds is set after A Link to the Past.

This of course is all speculation, so it's hard for me to really comment. I think it's a rather good idea, I like what you mentioned about not knowing the extent of what happened, but instead finding it out as we progress - this is something I've always wanted - a more obscure plot line. Anyway, I'm a bit lost on how Link turns into "Dark Link". We barely know anything of this entity, so we can't really say whether he is actually Link turned bad or a being from beyond etc. You see where I'm going with this? We can enter the realm of theorising, but I think Nintendo like to keep things simple.

So a good idea, even I have had suspicions about a Dark Link like figure making an appearance, but I think it would be hard to justify a connection on how the Link from A Link to the Past suddenly became Dark Link.

Tatl Tael Link

Hero of Hyrule
I highly doubt they would make the Link from AlttP evil/corrupted at all because, as stated by the Hyrule Historia official timeline, OoX and LA directly follow AlttP, in the same generation of Link. So I highly doubt he was corrupted if he saved three other lands.

Salem

SICK
why some people can't realize that game boy link does not canonically have pink hair i won't understand
What? so, his hair is canonically black hair then?

It's the same Link as alttp Link, that one is pink haired, so I like to believe he's canonically pink haired in general.

Salem

SICK
No he's not. His hair is canonically blonde/brown. Pink was due to the limited colour pallets.
Even if he's canonically blonde or whatever, in my headcanon I consider the pink hair "canon". Besides, I'm not entirely convinced it's just a colour pallet limitation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom