• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mafia (Game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm directing this towards everyone by the way, I'm just using Vergo's post because he thinks similarly to myself.

Master Kokiri 9: He just seemed way too active and excited from the start, telling me he had absolutely no intention of laying low. I mean really, he has THE FIRST post in the thread, calling out the mafia himself like I'd expect anyone who was excited for the game would do. He also seems way too "in-the-game" for me to think he's truly trying to manipulate anyone at all.

I'm agreeing with this, I don't really have to much of a reason to suspect him at the moment either, I don't think that he is trying to manipulate anyone since after accusing two people of being suspicious, he's changed his mind somewhat since then. If he were really trying to manipulate some people, he would have most likely continued with his suspicions against them.

Viral Maze: I can definitely tell he's a long time veteran at this when compared to most all of us. If he's a mafia and trying his best to hide it, he's completely succeeded in my eyes, seeing as I have next to no suspicion. He seems to put way too much thought into everything, pulling the first vote (and with logical reasons too). But seeing as I know how to read Charge a lot deeper than most, doubt is starting to creep in as far as that vote is concerned, making me wonder if he's just wrapping up his theories in a pretty box and bow to pass right through us. But as of right now, he's low on the list.

I'm not too sure about Viral Maze, but looking back at his posts, he does seem to think about everything as much as I do, thus I believe him to in a similar boat to me and I have little suspicion towards him. The only suspicion I do hold is that he's experienced at this game and would possibly know how to hide his lack of innocence rather well like he may be doing know. He's also got good reasoning behind his vote and all of his suspicions, so at the minute he's probably the lowest of the list of people IGMEO.

PJDEP: A lot like Master Kokiri - Brand new to the game, got picked as the common townie, and jumped in as soon as possible to join in the fun because he had nothing to hide. He would have been like Xinnamin more in the way that'd he stay out of the huge picture and just post sly little comments taunting everyone else if this was his first go and he was a mafia.

I've already explained that I have no suspicion towards PJDEP, he thinks too much about finding the Mafia, hence his working outside of the thread to discover who they are. I don't believe that he did that to make us believe that he is Mafia, I believe you'd need to be a more experienced gamer to get reasoning outside of the game rules. Therefore, PJDEP is a townie in my eyes.

Durion: THIS COULD CHANGE IN A HEARTBEAT You seem a lot like Viral in the way that you seem to do too much thinking in the right direction to truly care about the mafia. I agree with the vast majority of your thinking too, besides still suspecting me, which I've yet to get a cold-hard reason for doing so anyway. You're probably the closest I'm at to 100% townie as far as suspecting goes, but you're one of those guys who loves to back stab with Earthquake, so you could go at anytime in my book.

The reason I suspected you is due to the fact that you and Charge were both constantly trying to move suspicion onto each other, that suggested that that you or Charge could be Mafia, or one of you could have been a Seriel Killer, but thinking about it, there is no need for the Seriel Killer to join in with such a battle of wits. So I had to suspect both of you incase it was the fact that one of you were Mafia, because I was unable to decipher who was townie and who wasn't. However, I believe that it was just you and Charge being your usual selves. Outside of that the only suspicion I have towards you is something that only I know in full detail, however, I don't want to state it in this thread due to the fact that it's quite a great idea if pulled off correctly.

Recently though I decided that you weren't doing what I believe, therefore you are removed of any suspicion. I don't really see the need to be suspicious of you anymore either, there are much more suspicious people in this thread.

And then there's the guys who've gotten on and posted one sentence that included an accusation at someone for no good reason. I just see these as the in-experienced townies who still don't really know what they're doing.

I agree, the people that do this are most likely to be townie's that have just started playing this game for the first time and therefore are excited, making them put little if no thought into their suspicions.

So far, the players that stick out most to me are TreeHuggerPanda and Xinnamin, but I believe that the suspicion aroused towards Xinnamin is most likely misinterpretating posts from both players in this game....

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Durion, Durion, Durion. Why are you defending me? It only makes me more suspicious due to your other posts aswell. IGMEOY.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Durion, Durion, Durion. Why are you defending me? It only makes me more suspicious due to your other posts aswell. IGMEOY.

Why exactly are you suspicious of Durion? Sure, he could be scum just as you, Vergo, and everybody else could. As of now there's no reason to suspect him, and if my guess is correct, he's trying to make sure an innocent Townie doesn't get lynched.

However, your suspicion of him only makes you look more suspicious and thus you are only making things worse for yourself in suspecting him.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
After going back through the thread and trying to make sense of the posts, I'm going to try and define my thoughts regarding some individuals that really stick out.

There are quite a few people who just simply confuse me, displaying suspicious behavior, but with understandable reason. Panda, for one, has been really contradictory and aggressively defensive at times, as many have already pointed out. On one hand, she could just be inexperienced. On the other hand, contradictions like hers, if displayed in real life investigations, would be indicators of having something to hide.

I can't quite make heads or tails of Meego's behavior either. I noticed that most of her posts are really short, often simple declarations of suspicions on individuals who have already garnered the suspicions of others, rarely ever giving extra insight. I feel like such behavior may indicate mafia affiliations: bandwagon accusations made knowing that there's support from other mafia members. I'm also not sure what to make of her suspecting Durion for defending her, but she's definitely acting rather odd.

Speaking of Durion, while I still have my eye on him, some of that suspicion has been removed. Going back over the posts he and I have fired at each other, I agree with him in that we may just both be misinterpreting each other.

Something about Viral strikes me as noteworthy. It's obvious that he's an experienced Mafia player, or at least more so than a lot of the rest of us, so there's always the scenario of him being part of the mafia and really good at hiding it due to experience. There's little in his posts that actually makes me directly suspicious, but there's power in experience, and that's enough to make me a little uneasy. I've also noticed that more than once he's made an effort to clearly announce that he's not being accusatory/defensive when asking a question or making a point. I can't help but feel that he's trying very hard not to get on the majority's bad side, almost too hard? It's not necessarily mafia-exclusive behavior, maybe it's not even all that noteworthy, it's just something that caught my eye.

There are others I've got doubts about, but not nearly defined enough to properly convey without confusing myself further. I still can't find any faults quite outstanding enough to warrant a vote, but maybe something in the next few days will change my mind.

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
Man, this is hard! But I should hand out FOSs, since like everyone posted (I think, but I'm not going to read 18 pages worth of posts)

FOS:

Durion (You were defending Meego, which it clearly says "Trust Nobody" in the rules, you could be scum because I'm guessing all of the mafia knows each other via PMs, for now, I believe you are in the mafia, but not the killer)

Meego (You get teh pinkie finger. You were quite innocent, but I'm going with my Durion theory, Durion could be trying to defend you so the scum can kill the townspeople instead of the mafia, but I believe you are in the mafia, not the cold-blooded killer)

Xin (You get teh pinkie finger. I know we all have lives, but my gut and logical brain is telling me your the cold-blooded killer. I know it's not much of a reason, but some of your posts caught my eye a bit, but for now, your not much of a suspect, yet a suspicious person)

Austin

Austin
PJ's analysis

I’m not going to address whether Charge may or may not be scum now. My reason for this is that I believe that it is much more likely that Xinnamin is a part of the mafia, and therefore our efforts should be focused on eliminating her first. After all, it only makes sense to go after the person who has a higher probability of being guilty.

I’ll restate the case I made against her earlier in this thread. Essentially, her first posts were calm and collected, as if she was surveying the area. However, once Treehuggerpanda started to imply that she might be scum, Xinnamin reacted in an overly-defensive manner. The accusations made against Xinnamin were, for the most part, groundless, and I’m fairly certain that if she were a townie, she would be able to realize that.

Now, I’m not trying to flatter or offend anyone here, but Xinnamin’s reputation as an intellectual has always seemed quite apparent to me. However, I don’t know how she reacts under pressure. Her reaction to a basic and simplistic accusation was too strong, and her tone quickly became irritable and intimidating. She started to use her intelligence as a weapon. I can understand giving all you’ve got to clear your name, but the validity of the evidence against her simply wasn’t good enough to warrant such a response. It’s as if she was trying to swat a fly with a sledgehammer. I’d expect her to realize this, unless she was already nervous for some reason. And that reason should be (very) obvious to all.

In addition to the account I have provided above, she also conveniently hasn’t responded to my original accusation. I understand that real life can get in the way of internet activity, believe me. However, I have two reasons as to why that excuse doesn’t seem to fly. For one, I made my first accusation two days ago. The second reason is that she’s had enough time to respond to an accusation of Durion’s and to sum up current thoughts about the thread. That is, all thoughts that don’t concern my accusation or me.

Something is up, that much is clear to me. Therefore;

Vote: Xinnamin

Now, for the other players. I’ve been thinking about Viral Maze’s allegiances for quite a bit. However, if I may (and forgive me if my line of thinking is not in the spirit of the game), I’d like to step out of the context of the game for a second. Axle the Beast is the one who set up this game, as you all know, and he’s said that he copied most of the rules from a post made by VM. Additionally, there’s been some back-and-forth between the two of them, suggesting that they are familiar with each other. It is safe to assume that Axle the Beast is fully aware of VM’s deductive capabilities.

My point; VM is a veteran player of this game, a fact that Axle is fully aware of, and most of us have attested to being relatively new to this game. I’m sure Axle would want to create a fair game and he choose the roles for each player. Making VM scum might be considered a tad unfair. Regardless of whether or not he chose the roles randomly, he may have made an exception for VM.

I don’t feel overly confident about any of my conclusions about VM, but I’d say I’m about….. 53% sure. Moving on, I’ve already stated my opinions of Master Kokiri 9 (not scum) and I won’t touch Ver-go-a-go-go for previously explained reasons. I will say however, that I think Vergo and Charge’s initial exchanges were nothing more than mindless banter. I wouldn’t look for hidden subtext in those conversations. Durion has been exceptionally defensive of me, which appeals to my (however diluted) emotional side, but my logical mind isn’t convinced. He’s still undetermined in my book. However, I’ll restate the same thing I said about Chargewithsword’s possible Mafia connections; I believe that Xinnamin is more likely to be scum than anyone else, so I’ll focus my effort into lynching her first. As for anyone else, I either don’t think they’re particularly suspicious or enough of a threat to be worth my efforts.

Quite an epic post there, and I’m expecting a reply from Xinnamin soon. Hear me, everyone.

I
AM
JUSTICE!

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Which accusation? *checks thread again* You mean the one where you said I was being overly defensive/irritable or something to that effect? I actually forgot about that. ^_^' Well, you want a response, and I could give you an elaborate one, but it all really gets down to "it's in my nature to be like that" and I'm fairly certain such an answer probably won't make much of a difference.

Fact is, I just never stood well against false accusations, such as "playing it cool" or "lying low to avoid attention", which were the first accusations made against me and, as I later explained, were not true. Perhaps I did over-react a tad now that I look at it in hindsight, but as I've said, I'm just like that.

That was indeed an epic post though, even if it did come out to a wrong conclusion.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Truly epic post, PJDEP. You seem pretty skilled for this being your first game (or is it?) and you've actually caused a little confliction in me. Part of me wants to keep my vote on Charge, and part of me wants to vote for Xinnamin. I'll have to look further into that.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Hmm, I think I was too brief with that last post, didn't fully address all parts of the argument, so let's try to clear that up. Yes, I am an overly defensive person. Yes, I like going all out in my self defense when I feel a need. No, the accusations were not groundless. No, I have nothing to hide.

Looking back, you were actually the first person to accuse me of being "innocuous", followed by Durion. Then, it was actually at Durion's second accusation when I started getting really defensive, not at Panda's post right after, though I suppose it was partly directed at both. My response was intended to be both a brief self defense and a general reminder about the logical flaw of suspecting a person on the pure basis of a bit of inactivity. I hardly see how that qualifies as overly-defensive, especially since it was a potentially valid accusation.

As I said, that particular accusation is not groundless, at least in theory. Of course it was a false accusation in my case, but I can understand why someone would think that way, hence why I reacted: it was a very plausible suspicion, thus I felt I had to address it. No good can come from letting people believe in a false statement for the whole game. I wasn't nervous as you suspect, I was merely defending myself in the only way I know how.

So I saw in your last accusation you claimed I had something to hide. Well, I don't. I've said that I am a defensive person, and I'm also quite easy to irritate in real life. Whether you choose to believe that is up to you, but it's the truth and I stand by the truth. Frankly, you made that accusation purely on the tone of my messages. Tone can say any number of things, so it's hardly evidence, any more than my stating my personality is evidence.

As for using my intelligence as a weapon, well, I over-think a lot. That can sometimes result in misinterpretations (ie with Durion) or unneeded elaborations. You yourself called me an intellectual, well this is how I put that mind to work: by strong elaboration. What do you expect?

Also, before you start accusing me of being suspiciously over-defensive here by adding so much to my initial response, that was a big comprehensive post that deserves a big comprehensive response (which you did expect and therefore implicitly invited, just saying).

Epwna

The epic turnip king
I'm not really sure about Link to present anymore. A lot more suspicious stuff has happened. For me, all of my MK9 suspicion, or at least most of it, is gone. For me, Xinnamon is really suspicious, after I've read through the whole entire thread.
Unvote: link to present
Vote: Xinnamon

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, I guess it's my time to evaluate Xin.

Xinnamin has been rather calm cool and collected at the beginning, and also very sly. Whether or not Xin is just like that or not, I don't know because I haven't gotten to know her very well, so I won't hold that against her.

Also, her lack of posting in this thread is understandable for the most part, but there's something that doesn't quite add up. PJDEP accused Xin a while ago and Xin did not reply, had two days to do so, and then Durion began to suspect her and almost immediately she got defensive.

Speaking of her defense, it was pretty over the top. Sure, it may just be a part of who she is as she said, but I don't know her well enough to know whether or not she's telling the truth and she may very well be trying to fool those of us who don't know her very well.

Anyways Xin, ironically in your defense you have convinced me to vote for you. Sorry, but the scum have to die, and it doesn't exactly look particularly good for you. Better luck next time though.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

EDWODP

Unvote: ChargewithSword
Vote: Xinnamin

Austin

Austin
Looking back, you were actually the first person to accuse me of being "innocuous", followed by Durion.
I've explained that the majority of my posts within the first few hours of the game weren't serious. I was trying to "spark" the game to life while entertaining some particularly flippant urges.

So I saw in your last accusation you claimed I had something to hide. Well, I don't. I've said that I am a defensive person, and I'm also quite easy to irritate in real life. Whether you choose to believe that is up to you, but it's the truth and I stand by the truth. Frankly, you made that accusation purely on the tone of my messages. Tone can say any number of things, so it's hardly evidence, any more than my stating my personality is evidence.
As I've said before, I don't really have much else to work with, other than inconsistencies in a player's responses. And I stand by my position that it is indeed valid evidence. You are right when you say that tone can be interpreted in many different ways, but all that means is that it doesn't convict you outright. It can, however, make you look suspicious.

And I can understand being irritable. I had a mini-tantrum not too long ago, but I'll reiterate the point I just made; while not conclusive, it does raise possibilities. Also, keep in mind, I don't know you too well. It's only natural that you'd come up with such a response.

As for using my intelligence as a weapon, well, I over-think a lot. That can sometimes result in misinterpretations (ie with Durion) or unneeded elaborations. You yourself called me an intellectual, well this is how I put that mind to work: by strong elaboration. What do you expect?

Also, before you start accusing me of being suspiciously over-defensive here by adding so much to my initial response, that was a big comprehensive post that deserves a big comprehensive response (which you did expect and therefore implicitly invited, just saying).

I suppose that's just a personal thing. I tend to feel uncomfortable when my logic becomes increasingly superior to the people around me, and I apologize if that makes me sound conceited. And as for you being overly-defensive, don't worry about it. I asked for a response and I got one. Nothing odd about that.

In case my case isn't clear, let me explain my logic again. Nothing I have said is perfectly conclusive. My entire approach is based on who is the most suspicious, not who I believe is without a doubt scum. There are other people I suspect besides Xinnamin, but right now she is the one occupying my focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom