• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern LoZ Timeline: Will It Restrict Them in the End?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Ok, i haven't seen anyone ask for everyone to give their opinion on this, but sorry if this is a Dupe!

Anyways, as they have already admitted, the time line didnt happen till AFTER the games were made, or at least till SS came about, but we always speculated on it and had one of our own, then HH releases and we have an "Official" timeline.

What are your Speculations? do you think the time line will end up getting in their way of making good games, or do you think they will continue to do what they want and find a way to fit it in the timeline by release? Or do you think they will end up focusing too much on story and not enough on game play? Give me your thoughts!

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't think the timeline will necessarily restrict them. In many ways I think it gives them more to work with; they can come up with better plots, attract the older more nostalgic audience as well as use it to encourage newer gamers to try out older Zelda games for continuity and so on. Also, I don't see any reason why, seeing as the timeline splits once, they couldn't split it again and again if they wanted to, giving more opportunity for new games all the time as well as new innovations. Also, as for whether they will just make new games and slot them in somehow, I do think maybe the HH has limited their ability to retcon certain details- but then, maybe not, after all SS retconned a lot of OoT and that was certainly post-timeline invention as it was actually intended as a prequel and didn't just end up that way.

I can see why it might restrict them, of course: they might run out of steam on a certain timeline or something. However, I doubt that will happen. They have always managed to come up with the goods so far, and even if they have to get new people involved in the making of the games, the design, plot and so on, that doesn't mean the end of Zelda, fresh blood might do them good.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The timeline actually gives them more freedom to make games, because they do not have to attempt to piece it together anymore. They could easily pick a spot on the timeline and just say, "Hey, I think this spot needs some clarification, let's put a Zelda game there!"

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
They don't have to link games together, really. :I

If Nintendo chooses to, they can be bound to the timeline but really it's their call.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
They won't let it restrict them. They never crush their own freedom. Nintendo will just make whatever games they want (games I know will be amazing) and make a timeline to fit it if it doesn't fall into an established part of the timeline.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
It could potentially restrict gameplay elements in future games.

well dont just leave us hanging, explain...:) I'm guessing we are talking items and technology yeah?

I for one do not have a an opinion on this yet, i mean its on my mind yeah, thats why i posted the thread, get some incite from others. i mean, there are some things that come to mind when i think of how it could loom over them sometimes, but Like ol boy IHG up there said, Nintendo most likely wont let them be restricted by some timeline, that as developers was never meant to be taken strictly. and agree they will probably make a game however they want! and fit it in somehow!

in the end i guess that does sound like an opinion no matter how unstable it is...

Salem

SICK
well dont just leave us hanging, explain...:) I'm guessing we are talking items and technology yeah
LOL Sorry, I was speaking very broadly, didn't think I need to explain anymore:)

An example is whenever the game takes place in Hyrule, it has to reference the older games that takes place in Hyrule in some way, meaning the whatever name Zelda game that takes place in Hyrule may need a specific place in the timeline(if it weren't for the multiple timelines, where would TP take place?). Also because of that they rarely have the same Link face Ganon twice. Personally I think they should've have took one Link and stuck with him, but no they have keep on going back to the same shtick.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
to tell you the truth, TP still dont make a lot of sense where its at! ive never understood how its in the childhood timeline when hes older than he is in WW... at least it looks that way.

Salem

SICK
to tell you the truth, TP still dont make a lot of sense where its at! ive never understood how its in the childhood timeline when hes older than he is in WW... at least it looks that way.
Why? what doesn't make since about it? its the child timeline because it takes place after the events in MM, its called child timeline because it follows the ending where Link is sent back in time to his childhood.

Link-of-Lylat

It's me!
Oh, they can always do a reboot. I mean, it could be as awesome a reboot as pokemon's Hoenn region. Or it could be a pile of unused discs/cartridges like DMC.

Big Octo

=^)
I wouldn't say so. Nintendo can develop a game that's so far from many other games and can still put it on virtually any part of the timeline. In some instances, it wouldn't even have to vaguely match up with the part of the timeline it's assigned to.

Though, if Nintendo somehow overcomplicates itself with its own timeline and game placement, they can always resort to a reboot. They can do whatever they want.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Why? what doesn't make since about it? its the child timeline because it takes place after the events in MM, its called child timeline because it follows the ending where Link is sent back in time to his childhood.

So wait have i been looking at this the wrong way the whole time! So ALttP, OoT Hero dies! Oh so the Adult time line is another "what if?' kind of thing where Zelda didnt send Link back to his Childhood! cuz all this kind of makes sense! because if you think about it, the opening to WW is that something happened and a Hero didnt show up, so the world was flooded to prevent evil or what ever, so could that be like TP only in TP a hero appears, whereas in WW one didnt so thats how we have the "water world". or do i just sound crazy at this point? .....I cant even tell anymore!

Salem

SICK
So wait have i been looking at this the wrong way the whole time! So ALttP, OoT Hero dies! Oh so the Adult time line is another "what if?' kind of thing where Zelda didnt send Link back to his Childhood! cuz all this kind of makes sense! because if you think about it, the opening to WW is that something happened and a Hero didnt show up, so the world was flooded to prevent evil or what ever, so could that be like TP only in TP a hero appears, whereas in WW one didnt so thats how we have the "water world". or do i just sound crazy at this point? .....I cant even tell anymore!
Actually no, its the timeline when Zelda DOES send Link back in time to his childhood.

Either way, the timelines are all dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom