• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Live Action Zelda Movie in the Works

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I think it would be very easy to make a generic fantasy movie with the characters from the Zelda ganes whilst completely missing the spirit and feel the games offer.

Zelda ganes are at times wacky but also know how to take themselves seriously and I feel like for Hollywood they might tone down some of the more bizarre elements that make the series what it is. For instance Link was raised by a tree in a forest full of eternal children in Ocarina of time and if they did a movie based on that I fear some directors and studios would make Link start as a generic farmer instead and cut out time travel elements.

I personally think that none of the games have a short enough story to be worth cramming into a single movie. Instead if they went the Sonic route and made an open ended first movie and have it serve as the origin for the hero and villain and also conclude without reliance on the promise of a sequel that could work better.

I also think an original story would be the best way to go for this. I have already mentioned it but the obvious pre existing tale to adapt would be Ocarina of Time, but this would likely be a mistake, it has character development and story that can't be crammed into a single movie and also it would be difficult for a director to interpret such a bizarre world for the screen whilst keeping the unique feel the game had. I worry they will try to do this anyway and it won't turn out to be great.

I'm for this reason not excited for the movie but I do hope I am pleasantly surprised.
Took the words right out of my fingers

I think it would be very easy to make a generic fantasy movie with the characters from the Zelda ganes whilst completely missing the spirit and feel the games offer.

Zelda ganes are at times wacky but also know how to take themselves seriously and I feel like for Hollywood they might tone down some of the more bizarre elements that make the series what it is. For instance Link was raised by a tree in a forest full of eternal children in Ocarina of time and if they did a movie based on that I fear some directors and studios would make Link start as a generic farmer instead and cut out time travel elements.

I personally think that none of the games have a short enough story to be worth cramming into a single movie. Instead if they went the Sonic route and made an open ended first movie and have it serve as the origin for the hero and villain and also conclude without reliance on the promise of a sequel that could work better.

I also think an original story would be the best way to go for this. I have already mentioned it but the obvious pre existing tale to adapt would be Ocarina of Time, but this would likely be a mistake, it has character development and story that can't be crammed into a single movie and also it would be difficult for a director to interpret such a bizarre world for the screen whilst keeping the unique feel the game had. I worry they will try to do this anyway and it won't turn out to be great.

I'm for this reason not excited for the movie but I do hope I am pleasantly surprised.
Why has no one jumped at the chance to suggest it will be a "TRI-LOGY"???

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Screenshot_20231210-180903_Chrome.jpg
I read a few more articles about this interview with the Zelda Movie director and I think the direction they're going sounds really promising. Apparently they're avoiding dark gritty tones and are going for more whimsical vibes, inspired by Studio Ghibli. I like that idea honestly, if they made the movie "edgy" that'd probably take some of the fun out of it.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I read a few more articles about this interview with the Zelda Movie director and I think the direction they're going sounds really promising. Apparently they're avoiding dark gritty tones and are going for more whimsical vibes, inspired by Studio Ghibli. I like that idea honestly, if they made the movie "edgy" that'd probably take some of the fun out of it.
I'm fine with the lighter visual tone as long as we get some stakes. Zelda games tend to be very low stakes alongside some very nonthreatening villains. Hopefully the movie will give me a sense that bad stuff will actually happen if Villain Man wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom