• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Live Action Zelda Movie in the Works

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Like many others here I am not holding out big hopes that this will be a great movie, and I would much rather something animated. I thought the Mario movie this year turned out pretty good so I don't know why they'd pick live action for this one. That being said I will watch whatever comes of this, let's hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Considering the Zelda team is convinced BotW and TotK are the future of Zelda, I'm not so sure they're in touch with the older Zelda fandom. Then again, Miyamoto is the one spearheading this and Zelda came from his heart so I suspect it's possible the movie might surprise everyone. The Super Mario Bros movie was produced by Illumination Studios and had no right to be as good as it was but Miyamoto stuck to his guns and didn't allow any of today's current favorite things to pollute a great vision. It might work...maybe.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Considering the Zelda team is convinced BotW and TotK are the future of Zelda, I'm not so sure they're in touch with the older Zelda fandom. Then again, Miyamoto is the one spearheading this and Zelda came from his heart so I suspect it's possible the movie might surprise everyone. The Super Mario Bros movie was produced by Illumination Studios and had no right to be as good as it was but Miyamoto stuck to his guns and didn't allow any of today's current favorite things to pollute a great vision. It might work...maybe.
...well, Miyamoto is also the primary reason stuff like Star Fox and Paper Mario blow hard chunks these days, so hopefully he doesn't insert too much of his vision. :eyes:

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
...well, Miyamoto is also the primary reason stuff like Star Fox and Paper Mario blow hard chunks these days, so hopefully he doesn't insert too much of his vision. :eyes:
I tend to be a little more meta about the media I consume. I like to know why Miyamoto created what he did because Zelda was his vision. I'm prone to listened to bands, not songs, I believe that Star Wars ended in 2012 when George Lucas disengaged from the galaxy he created, and I read authors, not books. In some ways, it's a loyalty thing. Conservative people often have a much higher propensity and affinity for loyalty so I'm sure at least part of it is just my personality. Even though Miyamoto has pulled back to a more supervisory role in the Zelda franchise, his heart is still in it and at the very least, when he is no longer engaged with it at all, it will at least still be produced by the electronic entertainment arm of Nintendo which wouldn't exist in its current form without him.

It probably won't be a great movie, but I hope it will at least be a good movie. Even if it is a terrible movie, however, I'll still enjoy some of it if it has Miyamoto's stamp of approval.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I tend to be a little more meta about the media I consume. I like to know why Miyamoto created what he did because Zelda was his vision. I'm prone to listened to bands, not songs, I believe that Star Wars ended in 2012 when George Lucas disengaged from the galaxy he created, and I read authors, not books. In some ways, it's a loyalty thing. Conservative people often have a much higher propensity and affinity for loyalty so I'm sure at least part of it is just my personality. Even though Miyamoto has pulled back to a more supervisory role in the Zelda franchise, his heart is still in it and at the very least, when he is no longer engaged with it at all, it will at least still be produced by the electronic entertainment arm of Nintendo which wouldn't exist in its current form without him.

It probably won't be a great movie, but I hope it will at least be a good movie. Even if it is a terrible movie, however, I'll still enjoy some of it if it has Miyamoto's stamp of approval.
I don't really practice loyalty when it comes to my parasocial relationships. I'll enjoy the good stuff Miyamoto had a hand in, but I'll also not stick with him when his influence becomes a negative factor in a game's overall quality. He might have been doing good stuff back in the 1980s, but based on his modern contributions I barely want him to touch Zelda, let alone a story-focused movie.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I don’t think Star Fox Zero was his fault specifically, more so the fault of Nintendo insisting on finding a way to justify an awful console. Paper Mario sure.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thinking about it more and I still have no idea what I would want this to look like. The nightmare scenario would be that it grossly misinterprets the source material, not that it's bad. The Monster Hunter movie is a perfect example of what not to do. That movie took a franchise that is about humanity living in harmony with nature while wishing not to repeat the apocalyptic mistakes of their ancestors, navigating a world populated by tons of insanely powerful and massive and often super territorial monsters that are just as much parts of the environment as the humans are, and turned this setup into a US military isekai with chosen ones and "evil" monsters. As long as the Zelda movie doesn't get this sort of treatment, even if it's bad, it'll be forgivable.

Reactions: Dio
Touchstones need to be:

- Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (obviously, because Wes Ball is the director the new Zelda film)
- Tintin and the Secret of the Unicorn (a possible way to have photoreal performance capture that allows essentially 100% CGI)
- The Lion King 2019 ('it's live-action, but there's no actual filmed parts')
- Avatar: The Way of Water (level of quality of CGI)
- Rings of Power (if they do decide to include some live-action, visuals only, don't care much for writing/plot of the show)

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Honestly, I'd be happy to have a Zelda movie with zero cgi that only included Hylians, Gerudo, etc. and maybe even sub-par practical effects for other races rather than have a movie filled with mediocre special effects. I want to see a film that captures the acting, direction, plot, and score of a team who has something to say, not a greasy cash-grab programmed entirely on a computer that loses any sense of relevance after two years.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I feel like I'm one of the few here actually hyped and optimistic for this movie. Cautiously optimistic, but still.

The only disappointment so far has been finding out that it's live action instead of animated, particularly 2d animated. The Zelda series would fit perfectly with 2d animation, especially after seeing the cutscenes from the LA remake. I feel live-action has been overdone lately. Disney remakes and adaptions of anime series come to mind.

Even with that, I am still genuinely excited for this movie. Live-action has the potential to be amazing if it's executed properly. I really enjoyed the remake of The Jungle Book, but I won't have a solid opinion on this until I can see the costume and set designs. I loved the Jungle Book, yes, but I didn't love The Lion King remake as much as I had hoped to. It all depends on the writing, design, and production.

I'm very excited (and nervous) to see who will be link's actor and consequentially his voice.

Really wish we could've had a visual alongside the announcement so we could have something to go off of.

If they do make this "live action" the only Arc it should take is the "Era of chaos" "Hyrulian civil war".

Use "Vaatai" and get the Interlopers (Rogue Sheikas) backstory up and running,
This could include Koume, Kotake and the "Rogue Gerudos" joining with the Interlopers during the "civil war". (Yiga Origins)
This could fill 7 holes in the timeline at once...

1. Interlopers
2. Koume and Kotakes Magic and long life
3. 2 Gannons (oot ww twp) and the sealed 'Demon king' Gannon
4. The Civil War and the Joining of the Gerudo rogue factions and Sheika/ Interlopers (Yiga Origins)
5. 'Demon King' Gannons lack of pursuit/Knowledge of the Tri-force.
6. Nayru - Goddess of wisdoms Incarnation as Zelda, after the events of Totk.
7. Sonia and Zelda must be the simultaneous incarnations of Goddess Hylia, in Totk
(Time Power).

Just a idea, but would love to hear peoples ideas!
Here it is a bit more in depth.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think it would be very easy to make a generic fantasy movie with the characters from the Zelda ganes whilst completely missing the spirit and feel the games offer.

Zelda ganes are at times wacky but also know how to take themselves seriously and I feel like for Hollywood they might tone down some of the more bizarre elements that make the series what it is. For instance Link was raised by a tree in a forest full of eternal children in Ocarina of time and if they did a movie based on that I fear some directors and studios would make Link start as a generic farmer instead and cut out time travel elements.

I personally think that none of the games have a short enough story to be worth cramming into a single movie. Instead if they went the Sonic route and made an open ended first movie and have it serve as the origin for the hero and villain and also conclude without reliance on the promise of a sequel that could work better.

I also think an original story would be the best way to go for this. I have already mentioned it but the obvious pre existing tale to adapt would be Ocarina of Time, but this would likely be a mistake, it has character development and story that can't be crammed into a single movie and also it would be difficult for a director to interpret such a bizarre world for the screen whilst keeping the unique feel the game had. I worry they will try to do this anyway and it won't turn out to be great.

I'm for this reason not excited for the movie but I do hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom