• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Links Awakening Had a Messed Up Storyline

Links awakening had a messed up storyline it involved you waking the Windfish and waking up yourself the most messed up part of it was that all the characters that you came in contact with were just a dream and vanished into thin air. i found this very disturbing because the way that Marin wanted to see what was beyond the ocean where link came from and she wanted to share her songs with the world. im sorry if someone already posted this but its been bugging me and i want to hear everyone's opinion.

Sorry to double post, but this is the alternate ending. Click to enlarge.
View attachment 5225View attachment 5226View attachment 5227
pencil.png

You are right the story of this game is particularly disturbing, Link technically kills off an entire island of people just to go home. In a way it can almost be seen as selfish, really. He could've just lived on the island the rest of his life and married Marin, but then again this would probably leave Hyrule defenseless against Ganondorf in some timeline, so maybe it can be considered necessary. Here's a really interesting article I stumbled upon recently, I think it's worth while to take a look:

http://www.gemakei.com/features.php?articleId=657&page=1

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Techincaly, Marin is Link dreamng about Malon from OoT. (Not confirmed) Also, if you finish the gamewithout dieing (very hard!) you get an alternate ending were you see Marin is reincarnated as a seagull. But yea, it is messed up.
Actually, you're quite a ways off there. Malon is based off of Marin's design. Also, the Link in LA is not the same Link as in OoT. There is no way Link could've been dreaming about Malon, as she wasn't even created at that point. LA came out 5 years before OoT.

Anyway, it's supposed to tug at your heartstrings like that. It's not quite selfish to try to find a way out of a "dream", especially one that was much more than a dream; a separate reality. Yes, he has to destroy it all, but actually staying there would have been selfish. You have to remember that he was a hero- he'd protected Hyrule before, and he was originally on a journey to find more ways to protect the land. His destiny lies with Hyrule, not Koholint, and making the right choice is supposed to be hard. It's supposed to hurt a little.

But, if you get the good ending, you'll see that it's very possible that Marin's wish was granted... this was repeated in Phantom Hourglass with Linebeck.

H

Haneul

I thought it was a bit odd but I think overall the story was really good. It wasn't like the same old thing that we see in many Zelda games. Really unique.

Kungfuyu24

Metanna! Nurunna!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Marin was based on Zelda herself. The very first time Link meets her, he mistakes Marin for the princess.

Anyway, go read the manga. They make Link's moral choice of wakening the Wind Fish quite a struggle. The key idea behind the story is that it is just a dream, and dreams do have to end eventually. Just like life.

Have you seen Marin's trophy in Brawl/Melee? (Do not remember which.) Although SSB is not canonical, Miyamoto workd heavily on it and had to confirm the trophies and such. Marin's throphy looks identicle to Malon's adult form from OoT, not Zelda in any game.

@Zerudo LA was released in 1998, OoT was 1999. How is that 5 years apart?

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Don't forget that at the time(and possibly even nowadays) LA is a sequel to ALttP, and, it can or cannot have OOX in between(that depends on how you interpretated those three/four games), but one thing I am sure: it doesn't have a single relation with OoT

Techincaly, Marin is Link dreamng about Malon from OoT. (Not confirmed) Also, if you finish the gamewithout dieing (very hard!) you get an alternate ending were you see Marin is reincarnated as a seagull. But yea, it is messed up.

No, no, no, no, no. Wrong.

Malon's character design is simply based off of Marin. When Link see's Marin for the first time he confuses her for Zelda.

Also LA was released in 1993 and OoT was released in 1998. Where did you get those other dates from? LOL FAIL

That just proves that someone should not rely on internet information to theorize the Zelda series. If you have not experienced the games yourself, then its best to stay out of the discussion.

Yet you easily mistaken the remake with the original release of LA and somehow thought OoT released in 1999. You won the games? What did you win exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom