• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Should Be a Big Brother Again

One of the reasons I liked The Wind Waker is that gave Link something he's never had before, in this case, a sibling. I like that the first half of the game, you're not trying to save the world, you're not saving a princess or an implied girlfriend, you're saving your little sister Aryll.
Here's why I feel that way, I honestly think characters who become big brothers or discover they are big brothers, or just heroes who are big brothers in general, who strive to be ideal older siblings are much more interesting characters.
One of my favorite Disney movies is Brother Bear, where the main character learns maturity, responsibility and sacrifice by becoming a cub's older brother. One of the reasons I wish the series Danny Phantom was still on is because the original intention for Danielle, Danny's younger female clone, is because she was going to be accepted into the family as his little sister, I honestly find the close brother and sister bond between the two much more interesting than whether or not he and the Goth girl get together.
Okay, went off topic. Anyway, I just think Link being an older brother makes him a more interesting character, especially if he spends a part of his adventure rescuing his little sister from a boss.

Do you all think Link should be an older brother again?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Sure, I don't see much harm in doing so, though I could care less for it. Whether Link has family in the next installment or not is not my biggest concern, but it wouldn't be a bad decision if they decided to go through with it. It's honestly up to Nintendo to decide.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I would like to see something like that again. Link having a family and his own personal reasons for setting out on the adventure is one of the main reasons why I love The Wind Waker so much. It makes Link a much more immersive and interesting character than when he's more of a blank slate in, say, Ocarina of Time. What's more, being a big brother myself, I can relate to it. Seeing Link play out the role of a big brother in the next installment isn't something that has to be done, but I would certainly love to see it again, or at least something similar to it.

Link beig a brother in WW didn't make much of an impact on me but Link having a grandmother really did. It hurt when you sailed away with Tetra for the first time and she waved goodbye to you, she is a frail lonely lady and the only light in her life were her grandkids its kind of harsh that she lost both of them in one day and she must feel so proud of Link too and she had so much faith in him she was lovely, I think if we see young Link again we should have another granny type character for him to flesh the proceedings out a bit more and make them more poignant.

On the being a big brother thing though it was a nice element that Link wasn't trying to be a hero, he was trying to be a big brother, standing up to protect love and siblingship and the life that he knows and he did it without a second thought, it was a lovely degree of honour and maturity on Link's behalf and like granny it'd be nice to see an element like that in Link again, though I think WW is set at being the best of these kinds of poignant emotional elements i Zelda, probably best not to return to the well too often but depending on the themes and tone of future Zelda games, these elements may very well work again with a fresh appeal.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Link being a brother in TWW to a damsel in distress gave him something that he's had from then on: a character of his own. This would interfere much with the whole "Link is the medium between you and another world" mindset that Nintendo had going on, but it could also do wonders for the story. Having a sister around means Link would be vulnerable to the worry and safety of his younger sibling, and it'd show that he has much more on his mind that simply saving the world (which, being honest, isn't that hard to do in video games anymore lol).

If we have to make a few cuts here and there to implement the big brother Link role int he next Zelda, so be it. I loved Aryll anyway; she was a cute, bubbling little girl that I just wanted to pinch! :xd:

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I guess I can agree on Link being a big brother again. It was really cute on how Link had a sister that kinda looked like him. Also and into Link trying whatever it takes to save his sister was a lovely thing that Link could do to save his sister and keep his grandmother happy.

I guess it wouldn't hurt Nintendo making Link be a big brother again in a future Zelda game.

I'd definitely like to see Link have a backstory again. A big brother again? Maybe. I just want Link to have more substance in terms of backstory and personality.

I really liked how Link was a big brother in TWW, but I was thinking... what if Link was a little brother who's big brother thought he never did anything right? Link would set out on his journey to prove to his brother and to himself that he wasn't useless, probably sneaking away at night and leaving a note or something. :D

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I'd love Link to have a family again.

Like most, I really felt for little Link in Wind Waker - on a quest originally to save his sister - THEN the world, and having to leave behind his poor, sweet grandmother who makes the best soup in the world because anything from loving grandparents is the best thing ever!

Having a family gave him some roots, something to save along with the world. Face it. Humans are generally selfish beings - I'm sure even the most alturistic of us has some self-benficial motive and if any of us were called upon to save the world: we would probably be doing it less for "the world's" sake than for the sake of family/friends/signficant others that we really, actually truly love. For Link to have a family - a sister, a grandmother, or even *gasp!* parents (for a change) is a good way to give him something "really worth saving," that initial impetus for saving the world.

It was done a little bit in other games. The Great Deku tree in Ocarina of Time was like a father to the Kokiri and thus to Link - Link's quest begins with carrying out his dying/deceased father's last wishes... Twilight Princess begins with Link's non-blood "family" in his village being kidnapped, but the family thing has been strongest in Wind Waker. It could be at least that strong again.

Something I would *really* love to see that is very unorthodox for this series and maybe wouldn't work for the core audience but might work for the adult fanbase: Make Link a *father.* I think it would be interesting to have a young man Link who's married (or perhaps a grieving widower so as not to upset the shippers) with a young son or a young son and daughter whom he has to save. This could even play as a sequel - a third game with the Hero of Time, perhaps - his latter years between Majora's Mask and the era afer his death of Twilight Princess. -- Then again, this is probably more the stuff of fan fiction or drama-themed fan comic than an actual game...

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Amazingly I found Aryll to be a weak bonding character...I actually found the grandma to be stronger. In terms of "siblings", I thought Colin was a stronger "younger sibling".

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I'd love to see Link be a big brother again. Link has never really had a family. Sure, maybe he's had an uncle once or twice (I think), but I really love seeing Link with a family, which The Wind Waker had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom