• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Obviously Isnt Mute

E

Ezlo

A lot of people say that just because Link has no word bubbles he's mute. :shake:NOT TRUE!!! In the games, a lot of examples exist that suggest that Link talks. Ex. In Skyward sword, Link has to tell Groose and the headmaster his story.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Yes, but Link made a lot of hand gestures in those two instances. It's very credible, and likely, that can only use sign to communicate his point because he is, in fact, mute. Or Link was talking but indicating in certain ways to get his point across. I really don't know, but those are the appropriate plausibilities in my eyes.

W

Wolfs

I don't think anyone knows if link is mute or not, but in some rare games he moves his moth during he makes gestures. also a lot of cut scenes where he would be talking it turns black.

I think link is supposed to seem mute as "the silent hero from next door" but in fact he is not mute. but for games like Zelda OOT he just does not talk at all (for as far as I remember). I guess in some games he's completely muted in some other rare games he's not in some rare cut scenes.

so pretty much he's not mute in my opinion but would never say a single word if not needed.

and I hope no one will be referring in this thread like messages of wand of Gamelon, that would be silly and stupid. I'd consider that a parody of all the zelda games....

greets

A

aquizero

yes that is true. link is not mute just mute to us. i would also like to see the other characters have a voice in the wii u game. if link and zelda dont have a voice that is ok but the rest of the world should.

Strange, I never thought of him as being mute. I suppose that is a possibility, but as far as I can tell he can talk. We just never see what he says.

SecretNerd-sshh

Its a secret to everyone
We've been given options to express a sentance of our choice to relay to the NPC through Link, I never thought he was mute because of that reason alone.

Djinn

and Tonic
I'm not so sure this really belongs in theory, so I'm going to move it over to World of Zelda.

And I like to think the Link is mute idea is put to rest every time he swings something really heavy or falls off a cliff. He has no trouble making noise in those situations.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
He definately isn't mute- he makes grunts/noises, even if it's not necessarily talking, and he can say stuff, often one word sentences, but we don't hear/see that.
I think that what he has may be more akin to selective mutism, which is where you often don't/can't talk to people.

CelticMagician

Phantom of Time
I've never thought Link was mute. Reason being is because the NPCs sometimes react to things he's allegedly "said" to them and you are also given the option of responding to NPCs in certain situations. The reason why Link is silent to us, I think, is so that we can transpose ourselves and our own opinions of his actual character better on him. In a weird way, it's almost like reading a story written in second person, but you are given visual cues and responses/reactions from other characters to make the experience your own instead of your own dialogue.

And as stated before, the fact that he is given a voice actor for foley also kinda dismisses the whole "mute" thing, imo. XD

BakerGuy

Wielder of TheBakerSword
It's pretty much the same with some other Nintendo characters. Mario does talk, but he doesn't say much excepts "Here weya go!" Link might be a mute, doubt it, but he does communicate in different ways. The "SCRAGGGGHHHH!!!" is kind of his trademark, like mario's catch phrase is Here we Go!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I believe he does talk, but we, the players, are meant to fill in his dialogue ourselves in our heads by using a little thing called imagination. It's part of the "Link between the player and the game" concept of the Zelda series. It's true he doesn't have dialogue boxes, but that doesn't make him mute. We hear him grunt each time he swings his sword, or scream when he falls from a high place. He technically has the chance to speak whenever the player is given a yes or no option when talking to an NPC, but that doesn't qualify as dialogue. But he still answers nonetheless. So the idea that Link is mute isn't plausible.

Eluinn

Link's Alter Ego
You never hear him speak, and there are no speech bubbles for him, but everyone seems to hold conversations with him and you "talk" to people. So I think it's more that the developers just didn't want to take the time to come up with his dialogue so they left it to our imagination. And now that it's been this way for so long, if they were to make him speak, it would just seem weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom