• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Obviously Isnt Mute

I don't consider him mute either. he does say "come on!" in WW to call statues and medli/makar to him. He also said I think two lines at the start of OoT. He said something about not having a shield to Mido and something about the kokiri sword I believe. I'm sure it was Link talking since that was the only time someone spoke with green font in the game.

I believe that Link does not speak, because he is supposed to be the "link" between the player and the game. In Skyward Sword it gives you different options of what to have Link say. "Am I Late?"

A

AdamDMurray

Well exccuuuuuuuuusseeeeeeeee me (Princess) for thinking he wasn't mute. I assumed his silence was another way for the player to imprint ourselves on Link. I can't be the only one who has made up dialogue for him.

It's exactly the same reason why Gordon Freeman doesn't talk in the half life games

Wow, I never thought Link as signing to people. That theory makes a lot of sense since he does make a crap load of hand gestures and never speaks and people seem to understand him fine. I can't really think of any other gaming character that might use sign as their main form of communication! (sorry, really into ASL here!)

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Just because Link doesn't talk doesn't mean he's not mute. He makes facial expressions as well as noises, so he can understand what's going on.

Also he hasn't spoken in the most recent games because at this point it has been so long established in this format that Nintendo I think fears to change it. He makes noises which means he is not mute for a mute can't make noise at all. I just think he is a rather quiet person and Nintendo fears that making him talk at all will give him a personality/voice that fans will not like since I'm sure everyone has their idea of what he would sound like and how he would talk to people. I know if Nintendo did a horrible job that I would be upset. Remember how he was in that horrible cartoon and the CDI games, I'm sure the fan reaction from those has made Nintendo fearful to ever give Link true dialogue or a voice. Mario barely speaks either yet no one thinks he is mute! Why do people think Link is?

I guess he prefers not to talk. I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea for voice-acting in the Zelda series, and I think Link could talk, too. Not big things, but the little things we make Link say when a NPC asks a question. If that happens...I hope they don't use Jonathan Potts for Link's voice.

shaymin1

Derp.
Obliviously not. The reason you stated is true and also in Wind Waker Link clearly can say "Come on!". Nintendo just doesn't show it much.

Just cause you dont hear him, it doesn't mean he's mute. You talk to other people in the games and they can understand you, so they just didn't want you to hear what he sounded like:D:D:D

Maybe Nintendo Thinks if they added a voice to link or any of the characters it would totally ruin the game. Instead they decided to put hand gestures to make him look mute but able to talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom