• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Let's See How It Levels Up: What Did You Think?

My opinion on the game was....

• My favorite game/very fun :yes:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was okay/could be better. :thinking:

• Fail. >.<

• Total voters

Kappa

Black Cat Royalty
Personally, this game was questionable. I don't know yet, but oh well. Answer the poll and leave a review!

Review Form(optional)
Gameplay:
Graphics:
Value:
Replay value:
Overall:

Any others:

:D:lol:

FindSkullkid

The Energy Never Dies.
Definitely the most challenging (developed) Zelda game. It is my favorite, and it probably holds my record for having to look up how to get through everything to beat it. I still have yet to play the whole game through without having to look something up. that's what I love about it, it gets my brain working. And, it's SO bizarre, and just not your normal video game. (imo) <3

Kappa

Black Cat Royalty
I personally am not too in favor of it. But what makes me like it less is the old story of Ben. Just recently heard of that, and im kinda easily scared.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I liked the game, the graphics were very familiar as OoT was my first Zelda game. It was definitely more challenging with having only three days to get everything done before turning time back and starting again. The story was great and you could really feel the NPCs, so many sad stories there. I really loved the morphing masks, playing as a Deku, Goron and Zora, and just the fact that the other masks had powers as well. That was one thing I really wish we had in OoT, like the bunny mask helping you run faster. I do prefer OoT as a game, cause the time restriction in MM kind of made it harder to just explore the land, which I love to do. Some things weren't open until close to the end, some quests, especially mask quests had to be done at a specific day at a specific time, which made things a lot harder and when you turned back time you had to re-do things, so if you missed one thing you had to do a lot of other things in order to get to whatever it was you overlooked...

Personally, this game was questionable. I don't know yet, but oh well. Answer the poll and leave a review!

Review Form(optional)
Gameplay:
Graphics:
Value:
Replay value:
Overall:

Any others:

:D:lol:

For sure the most challenging Zelda game.
Harder than OoT's master quest.
What i like about it is the idea of so many masks and how important they are to completing certain tasks.
For certain its the most complex Zelda game.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They really did a great job with this game considering they took a risk with no Zelda or Ganon in it.
The music is lso very good.
The music to me for each area is just spot on.
A game needs good music and MM has it for sure.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gameplay ten out of ten.
Replay value ten out of ten.
Overall ten out of ten
Graphics ten out of ten.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics: 9.9/10 (there were some choppy points and frame skipping in various places, not to mention noticeable slow down in Clock Town)
Value: 10/10
Replay value: infinity/10
Overall: 10/10

Notes: MM is amazing. It is different from OoT in it's story, theme, mood, you name it. Many items in OoT that were mostly for show actually had use in this game (example: Ice Arrows, used to solve puzzles in MM whereas you didn't need them whatsoever in OoT). The sidequests were infinitely repeatable or at least most of them were, and they were very fun. The characters, despite models being reused, actually looked better (Cremia vs Adult Malon, Cremia wins), and they even had backstory beyond the "Oh I'm a farm girl and lived on this farm since i was born" or whatever generic stuff that was in OoT. MM may not be for anyone because it's a far change from OoT, but it definitely is for me. :D

Gameplay: This game has some of if not the BEST dungeons in the entire series, and a huge variety of things to do beyond dungeons. Every inch of the game has something to find; there are tons of minigames to play, monsters to kill, and secrets to uncover. There are only 4 Temples, but there are a few mini dungeons, and tons of other things to do: there are 20 mask to get and 50 pieces of heart to locate and obtain! It uses the fighting and item system that was perfected in Ocarina of Time, and improves several things that didn't work as well, such as the horse riding. You have a huge array of items, and the shape-shifting is seriously cool and a lot of fun. There is enough time to reach a good save point each three days, while the timer is mainly there to keep you on your toes and add to the excitement. The loss of replenish-able items is remedied by how easily available they are in the field, and the ability to redo tasks and dungeons lets you revisit anything you want to try again.

Graphics: While it still has the polygons of the N64, it's a big step up from it's predecessor. The character models have been improved and stand out in the game's vibrant colors. Areas are decorated to the most minute detail, giving a lot of life to the land of Termina. The motion blurr effect adds to the dream-like surrealism of the game. However, it lags in some areas while it loads things.

Value: Not sure what you mean... like price? Getting this game for 10 dollars on the VC is a steal, it's worth much more.

Replay value: I've been playing this game for 10 years, and I found something new last night. Because of the time resetting, you can switch up the order you complete the dungeons as long as you get each temple's item, and the side quests can be competed at any time. Being able to change the order you do things really adds to the replay value for me. Each time you play this game it gets better.

Overall: The music, the story, the characters... this game is brilliant. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Zelda or just wants a fun video game that they can get wrapped up in. There are both sidequests and lots of battles and dungeon puzzles, so you'll find something you like in it. I admit the game is not for everyone, it's somewhat challenging and if you are looking for a typical Zelda game this is not it. The gameplay is very much Zelda, but the plot is far from it. Still, if you haven't given this game a try, you should, you might find you like it even if you weren't expecting to =)

I would give Majora's Mask a 10/10.

Also - I was in love with OoT when I was 10 (and still love it) but I didn't want to play MM at all because it wasn't in Hyrule, it was timed, there was no Triforce, or sages, or Ganondorf, or Princess Zelda... and I'm very glad I changed my mind and decided to, as it's now my favorite game.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Majora’s Mask is irreplaceable and one-of-a-kind because of its unheard-of gameplay mechanics (to the Zelda series) and its dark atmosphere and story. MM has not hasn’t seen as warm a welcome as Ocarina of Time had. MM always stood in OoT’s shadow. Two years after the release of Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask onto the scene with a much darker plot. While not praised nearly as much as its predecessor, Majora’s Mask was still critically acclaimed and considered a worthy entry into the series. While MM didn’t hog the spotlight due to its release date (which was unfortunately on the same day as the release of the PlayStation 2), it still mustered decent sales. Maybe it’s because other gamers, believed the game to be obnoxious and out-of-the-ordinary. Maybe some thought it was too hard, but there are ways around these things.

MM.jpg

The most interesting characteristic of MM is its unordinary plot. Link must save Termina, an alternate world (to Hyrule) that will meet an impending doom at the hands of a deranged being by the name of Majora. “Termina”, “terminus” and “terminal” all mean (or are associated with the word) “end”, which speaks volumes about what sort of ill fate Termina has come across. Link must battle the bosses of the four main Dungeons and defeat Majora itself on its lair inside the Moon. It sounds like quite a bit to do in a three day period, but Link is able to turn back time, speed time up, slow it down and much, much more, which makes completing the game much easier. One reason many gamers struggle so much with the game is because they don’t get to fully appreciate the entire game. There are sidequests that you normally wouldn’t know about without a walkthrough, and really, the time function shouldn’t be much of a bother. What I did was I saved rather often so I wouldn’t lose anything important in the event of a console crash.

Gameplay is generally the same as in Ocarina of Time. Considering that both were N64 games, the control scheme and assigned buttons for actions were mostly untouched when transitioning between OoT and MM. Link can’t save anytime he wants this time around because the only way is to save and return to the beginning of the three days (where all minor items are wiped out). There are only four main dungeons excluding the final dungeon: the Moon. Although four doesn’t seem like an awful lot, these dungeons are a lot more complex and lengthy than those in Ocarina of Time. While many complained about how short the game was, I felt that the insane amount of sidequests and length of dungeons made MM last just as extensive as OoT.

Among Majora’s Mask’s strengths is its powerful soundtrack. It consists of several songs that are, like the game, unique and out of the ordinary. Background music in The Legend of Zelda hasn’t ever seen the likes of MM’s soundtrack. Much like the game, the music in Majora’s Mask is ominous and always seems to foretell of a looming peril. Some of these themes include the four main area themes, Majora’s theme, Last Six Hours, Song of Healing, etc. Each and every track is beautiful yet dark in its own way. Even the Clock Town songs (all three versions) have hints of darkness, as expressed in the random flat/minor notes that mix in with the major, upbeat notes. And as the final day draws close, the music and atmosphere becomes more sinister. The often baleful events in Majora’s Mask are balanced by a few light-hearted sidequests (including that of the invisible guard and the dog races). There’s still much to be enjoyed in MM other than the sidequests, which will be explained.

Dungeons in Majora’s Mask are usually ignored (or overshadowed) by the brilliant plot and sidequests. If no sidequests were to be completed, the game wouldn’t last as long or be as fun to play. Each Dungeon is, however, very extensive (which makes up for the lack in numbers), and any amount of gameplay that one feels he or she is lacking can be made up for in sidequests. There are four major Dungeons for Link to conquer and an additional one (the Moon) that serves as Majora’s stronghold. The Dungeons are Woodfall, Snowhead, Great Bay and Stone Tower. Each Dungeon seems to correspond with one of the four seasons. (Woodfall = Spring, Snowhead = Winter, Great Bay = Summer, Stone Tower = Fall). Majora’s Mask brought more complex and original Dungeon design to the table, improving on several concepts in design and architecture. What really separates MM from OoT is its ingenious Dungeon design. Rooms in Ocarina of Time were very much similar-looking and somehow dull and generic. MM changes this with more vibrant color schemes, more original Dungeon design and beautiful architecture in some areas. Sometimes less is more, especially in the case of MM. The soundtracks for all four Dungeons are also fantastic, ranging from the jungle, savage-like Woodfall Temple theme to the mechanical, factory-like Great Bay Temple theme. The bosses don’t disappoint, either. Like the game itself, the bosses are quite difficult (unless one possesses the Fierce Deity Mask) and take awhile to figure out. Dungeons center on certain items, and puzzles are executed brilliantly. The Stone Tower Temple introduced upside-down gameplay, allowing the player to explore the Dungeon both rightside-up and upside-down.

images43.jpg

The game focuses more on sidequests, bringing NPCs into focus. As we follow Link along for this wild adventure, we meet many side characters that have their own individual stories and roles in the game. Watching the Moon begin to fall on these everyday people brings a sense of reality to the game - there are living beings at stake in this game, and Link will get to know some of them quite well (if he decides to aid them during their times of struggle). NPCs play a large role and which direction Majora’s Mask will take as a video game. If one wishes to just trudge through the Dungeons mindlessly and complete the game as a minimalist, that’s fine. But these are usually those people that don’t appreciate Majora’s Mask for what it truly is: a masterpiece. Sidequests are what made the game so addicting and enjoyable for me. There are literally dozens and dozens to be completed, and what makes them different from sidequests of previous Zelda installments is the three day time limit. Each NPC has a strict, unchangeable sequence that he/she must follow throughout the three days. The player must arrive exactly on time to witness a certain event in order to complete said sidequests. These may stretch through all three days (for example, the Anju and Kafei quest) while sometimes a sidequest can be completed in a single particular day. If the player misses a single event in a succession... the entire quest must be replayed and the player is left with nothing to show for his/her hard work. This may prove to be a substantial annoyance to the less enduring, but if you’re a hardened gamer, you’ll find Majora’s Mask to be less irritating.

Anjukafei.png

Going through all the trouble to meticulously plan and execute your plan to complete a long and tiring sidequest will come to fruition when you finally gain possession of that item you so cherish. And believe me, it’s a great feeling you’ll get when you finally obtain that one elusive item. These sidequests can either be the heart and soul of the game or something that the player flat out ignores. It all depends on what type of gamer one is - a completionist or a minimalist. If one decides to go through with each and every sidequest and aid all the NPCs in the game, a few special rewards will be gifted to the player. First, the coveted Fierce Deity Mask will only be available to those who have obtained each and every mask in the game. Secondly, what is shown in the End Credits is completely dependent on how many sidequests and what percentage of the game was completed. More unlockable scenes in the credits will be shown if the player decides to complete the sidequests. If the game’s 100% completed (which lets the player fully experience Majora’s Mask and is the best way to play the game in my opinion), the credits will be fully unlocked and everything may be seen. Majora’s Mask also makes you feel like you’re in a realistic world because of how complex these characters’ emotions are. MM may or may not become like a living, breathing world to the player. It all depends on whether the player had the patience to complete all the sidequests and try time and time again to acquire a certain item. It’s infuriating and tedious, yes. But in the end, it’s worth it (and if you’ve played the game all the way to the end before, you’ll know why).

Unlike traditional Zelda games, Majora’s Mask’s final battle was not with Ganon, but rather with the evil entity known as Majora. What makes the battle so unique is... well, everything. It takes place in an unidentifiable room in the center of the Moon (definitely a change), and Link must fight Majora instead of Ganon. The Four Giants are barely holding up the Moon before it crashes into Termina, and it’s Link’s job to enter the menace’s lair and defeat the being. Luckily, when Link enters the final battleground, time is frozen so he has ample time to fight and defeat Majora. But why would the Moon stop so that Link could enter? Knowing Majora’s childlike demeanor, the being probably intended for Link to enter just to make things interesting. Once Link defeats Majora and the Four Giants are able to stop the Moon from crashing, the Ending Credits will roll and leave the player with a satisfied feeling. I find this quite interesting because the credits only show what the player has completed in the game. Although the credits weren’t very tear-jerking like its predecessor, but Majora’s Mask stands strong as an incomparable experience.

Majora-Wrath.png

In recent memory, MM showed what it's got by beating out both Twilight Princess and the Wind Waker for the title of "Game of the Decade". We all know of Majora’s Mask’s less-than-expected critic scores, but times have certainly changed. Critics’ original assessments of MM weren’t very accurate, and I think the new generation of gamers can more fairly critique Majora’s Mask.

That being said, I give Majora’s Mask a 9.75/10.

Note: I’ve used my previous MM posts as a source to draw from for this post (since I’ve made so many posts about the game).

Garo

Boy Wonder
I could type and type and type about Majora's Mask, but I'll restrict myself to a small capsule review.

Gameplay: 10/10. The Three Day system and Masks were incredibly innovative and benchmarks for Zelda games.
Graphics: 8/10. About as good as any other N64 game, and certainly as good as Ocarina's graphics. I never found myself thinking "these graphics are mind-blowing", but nor did I think "wow these graphics suck". In my mind, that means they did their job by displaying the game world transparently, not drawing my attention to it.
Value: 10/10.
Replay value: 10/10. The Three Day cycle makes speedruns very interesting, and the sidequests are all sufficiently challenging and varied enough to merit continued playthroughs.
Overall: 9.8/10. A damned near perfect game. I would only call one game in history a perfect game, but Majora's Mask takes a nice second place, and certainly top among Zelda games.

(That perfect game is Portal 2, for the record.)

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I think we all know the answer, Majora's Mask is one of the greatest games of all. Do we even need a poll for this?

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
It is by no means my favorite title and I wish there would be more "poll" options to choose from. I would not even go as far and say that it was very fun but I did enjoy it a lot (very exciting it is). I can understand people who admire it and consider it the best game of all time. It is a true masterpiece. :)

The gameplay was fantastic and the graphics was great if you consider at what moment it was created. It does not hold a lot of replay value for me and my reason would be the dark story. It is only necessary to complete it once and the second playtrough did not reach the same heights for me.

But the quest is a large one and if you want 100 % completion it will take quite some time and I will therefore give it a 10 (it is a Zelda for Christ sake)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom