• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Zelda Maker (Think Mario Maker but for LoZ)

What do you all think about Zelda 1 NES having a Zelda Maker game?

• The maker would be easy to do. All you'd have to do is place items on the screen. One per square just like in Mario Maker. Very simple to do. You just choose item or enemy or ground fixture (rock, water, wall etc etc) and put it down and all done.
  • Stairs would have a start and end point, so you need 2 of them for them to work.
  • Blocks could be flagged moveable to open up stairs
  • Dungeon walls would have one of 5 classifications (solid, bombable, door, walk through 2 way, walk through one way).
  • One way stairs would exist as rooms to give you dungeon items
  • Overworld areas could be flagged secret so you burn or bomb them or whistle them for a cave/stairs.
  • Overworld stairs/caves would be flagged what their contents are.
  • The game would have different game skins - NES Zelda 1, SNES remake Zelda 1, Zelda 3, one of the Gameboy Zeldas

Sure you could make an unbeatable game if you put a ghoma in a room before you have the bow for example. But you can also make an unbeatable Mario Maker level if you put a too high wall or too long pit in the stage. So I don't see that being an issue.

Sure making a working Legend of Zelda game would be more time consuming. And not necessarily better than 1st and 2nd quest Zelda 1. But maybe people would want to play other's LoZ games? Who knows.

So you like the idea? Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
You pretty much covered all bases, all I wanna add is, allow us to combine features from all 2D iterations of the series.:)

Nintendo did say if Mario Maker is popular they might make more makers for other series, personally I'm hoping for a Metroid Maker and a Kirby Maker.:)

Dan

Yeah I could see this whole maker series coming to light. I think it would certainly be quite profitable. it would probably be quite a linear experience for Zelda however, focusing only on dungeons. Mario Maker works quite easily for Mario since all Mario consists of is levels. Zelda has a narrative(*giggle*) and plenty of exploration so not sure how it would work as well.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What do you all think about Zelda 1 NES having a Zelda Maker game?

• The maker would be easy to do. All you'd have to do is place items on the screen. One per square just like in Mario Maker. Very simple to do. You just choose item or enemy or ground fixture (rock, water, wall etc etc) and put it down and all done.
  • Stairs would have a start and end point, so you need 2 of them for them to work.
  • Blocks could be flagged moveable to open up stairs
  • Dungeon walls would have one of 5 classifications (solid, bombable, door, walk through 2 way, walk through one day).
  • One way stairs would exist as rooms to give you dungeon items
  • Overworld areas could be flagged secret so you burn or bomb them or whistle them for a cave/stairs.
  • Overworld stairs/caves would be flagged what their contents are.
  • The game would have different game skins - NES Zelda 1, SNES remake Zelda 1, Zelda 3, one of the Gameboy Zeldas

Sure you could make an unbeatable game if you put a ghoma in a room before you have the bow for example. But you can also make an unbeatable Mario Maker level if you put a too high wall or too long pit in the stage. So I don't see that being an issue.

Sure making a working Legend of Zelda game would be more time consuming. And not necessarily better than 1st and 2nd quest Zelda 1. But maybe people would want to play other's LoZ games? Who knows.

So you like the idea? Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Personally I wouldn't be interested in this. I see no fun in doing dungeons for dungeons sake. I like the lore and story of Zelda, exploring the world and meeting interesting characters. I play it for that really. I don't see the fun in just doing dungeons. That's just struggle with no reward at the end of it for me.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
This would be a cool idea, but I also think it isn't for everyone. It's more or less like designing your own LoZ game from what you describe, so I can see that it would take a long time. It'd be good if you wanted to practice game design, however, particularly in designing non-linear games.

Yeah I could see this whole maker series coming to light. I think it would certainly be quite profitable. it would probably be quite a linear experience for Zelda however, focusing only on dungeons. Mario Maker works quite easily for Mario since all Mario consists of is levels. Zelda has a narrative(*giggle*) and plenty of exploration so not sure how it would work as well.
Zelda 1 NES was just overworld and underworld dungeons. No NPCs apart from a few one liners in caves and Grumble Grumble / Bomb upgrade salesmen in dungeons. The story part would not matter as it's all the same story no matter how you do it. Collect 8 triforce of wisdom parts then hit dungeon 9 to get the triforce of power and win the game.

The issue here is the amount of time needed to make a decent game. You are in a way making your own remake of Zelda 1. Not different to the Mario Maker. The only difference is Mario has a lot less elements to it to make the game work than Zelda 1 did.

Last edited:
In that case I think I'd go with my friend's idea of turning Link into a fairy and making tingle chase him through the levels. All in 8 bit of course. It was a stroke of pure genius on her part.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member

In order to post a level for others to download, you would have to beat it yourself. Isn't that what Pullblox (aka. Pushmo) does? I'm pretty sure, we don't know that detail about Mario Maker yet.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I think it would be fun. I would expect a game in the style of 3D dot game hero's only able to create your own dungeons instead of just your hero's. That game was basically Zelda 1 with 3D graphics and a few other features, but yeah. I think it would be a cool game.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well this would essentially be miymotos original idea for the series. So thats awesome! I should point out that zelda consists of dungeons and overworld. So some sort of overworld customiser recycling stuff albw and other zelda games would be needed for an authentic zelda maker

Might be a bit trickier than Mario Maker to do but i could see it happening if Mario Maker sells well. They said they weren't ruling such a thing out.

Though i think Metroid Maker would be more fun and easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom